Taurus .357 ML Revolver

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by CptDanjou, Apr 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone got/used one of these ? Looks very pretty and being a muzzle loader its UK legal.

Attached Files:

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its interesting if its a true nitro ML how it could be called a specific cartridge when its really not chambered but bored?

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I know a chap who uses a normal 5 shot cartridge one for humane despatch!

4. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Looking very Blade Runnerish!

[​IMG]

5. Yep there are sect 5 exemptions for vets, stalkers and the likes BUT I think they should be 2 shot only nowadays ,ie a revolver would have all but 2 chambers welded up and a s/a would have it mag welded so to only accept 1 (2 ) rounds , there was a big case about this recently .

http://www.sportsmansassociation.co.uk/?page_id=370

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

thrown out I believe as the law doesnt stipulate capacity only purpose, its a Plod imposed rule and not legal!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Although having read that case law is to be judged a case at a time!

8. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Anyway, it's guidance from the Home Office;

http://www.police.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/operational-policing/HO-Firearms-Guidance2835.pdf?view=Binary

9. It's not case law, it's one Crown Courts opinion, which should be taken on a case by case basis.

Case law is directing but not final eg two drink drives, wave goodbye to your certificate (Germaine), but there may in extremis be a reason why you wouldn't lose your certificate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I've never used or owned one. However, some people I have had contact with over the past few years either love it or hate it. At the end of the day, do you like wheel guns and do you like loading chambers from the wrong direction? If so, try one out. Go to Westlake and ask to have a test fire. It was touted as the answer for pistol shooting but I'm (currently) not aware of anyone who uses them in a great deal of competition, other than Alan himself. Most seem to be acquired in the belief that they will use it as they did pre-'97. Unfortuntely, like last years Christmas present they are gathering dust imx.

As I don't like wheel guns particularly and have only an interest in loading from the wrong end with things like three band Enfields, it's not for me.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

OK still no wiser, advice from G Wallace at the NGO who wrote the guidance for despatch states its only a guide and not definitive ergo anything really goes and in my case the ole bill arent giving me the service I have paid them for and they are wrong to deny me a moderated single shot .17 Hmr just because they arent mentioned specifically in the guidance. the issue is that cartridges are often invented long after laws were written making the laws obsolete and its the individual persons need which should be the plods view followed by security and safety (in my case not an issue as I have other calibres already) and the police finally can look to guidance. My force went upstairs to the HO who couldnt give guidance yet agreed the need was justified but still couldnt disagree with plod. This should run until I am retired but I will win as long as Mr Wallace doesnt pop his clogs first!

12. Case in point: I know someone who has a variation for a Glock 17 for humane despatch!

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

In fact it depends upon which plod you have down to the individual plod and some can be great especially the civilain workers and some can be ccomplete *****. I liked Ash who as a retired traffic plod only saw the law in black and white and brooked no interpretation from his staff!
    You can work with a bloke like that!

14. George is good and I still owe him a pint despite being Merchant Marine :)

As I said, it's not case law ie it hasn't been appealed to the Queens Bench Division of the High Court, Court of Appeal etc. It is one Crown Courts finding and can be used, but it's not binding (okay, clear direction) unlike case law such as Germaine, Kavenagh, Oldfield etc. The prosecution can refer to it in criminal cases and firearms licensing can refer to it. However, unlike decided cases (case law) it isn't binding on any other Court finding a completely different result.

A moderated single shot .17HMR pistol? Err, why? It used to be commonly .32 but as the expanding ammo wasn't readily available, people moved on to .38. Trying to sound obective (and failing miserably) why would you want a .17 HMR s/s pistol with a mod when a .38 revolver would do the job fine? Normally mods for handguns are only issued for race courses and the like imx.

Good old Home Office, sitting on the fence ;-) I'm afraid to say that George isn't as good (imho) as he was in his BASC days but still a decent bloke who I would trust. NGO, SAGBNI, BASC etc will always say that you can have what you want. they don't issue certs though.

Has he tried the 'police are not to view the application from the point of why?' argument? That's case law.

I reckon George will be retiring soon in any case.

• Like Like x 1