Tattos

K

Kat Toomey

So im wanting to join the army next year as an Officer...

Im currently on a Public Services Course at College, and its a common question about tattoos in the Armed Forces. Im under the impression that as long as they arnt on your hands or neck then your fine?

Therefore Im wanting to clear this up, and asking whether this is correct?

If im joining as an Officer then having a sleeve of tattoos? would this be acceptable?

I can't comment on the recruiting policy but if my new troopie rocked up in shirt sleeve order with an arm full of scribbles then I'd have a hard time taking them seriously.

In certain corps shirt sleeve order is still used. If you want you could substitute pt kit, cocktail dress, etc etc.
You could?

Now that must have made the Monday morning parade pretty interesting. :)

K

Kat Toomey

Does this mean as an officer you can have tattoos?

I have plans to get a full sleeve, but unsure as a result of the army?

Go ahead and get a full sleeve. Then apply to join. When you're turned down you can blame the fuddy duddies and be spared the chore of examining your own motivation.

The_Duke

LE
Does this mean as an officer you can have tattoos?

I have plans to get a full sleeve, but unsure as a result of the army?
The rules as written are pretty much as you indicated earlier - nothing offensive, below the wrist, above the neck line etc.

The rules (unwritten) are that direct entry officers are rarely likely to be heavily tattooed, let alone having a full sleeve. That does not mean that officers don't have tattoos, but they are widely seen as "not officer-like". Why risk your potential future career on the prejudices which your interviewing officer may or may not hold?

I think you should think about what is more important to you, tattoos or a commision in the army.
If you don't have a full sleeve now then I'd think army first and tattoos second. Unless of course you think tattoos are going to provide a steady income, training, battle buddies and windsurfing for a few years.

3.12 Tattoos

Any tattoos that are offensive, obscene or excessive in size or number may be a bar to entry or re-entry. Tattoos which are visible on the head, neck and hand may be a bar to entry depending on their size and nature. If you have tattoos you may be asked to complete a form describing them. The tattoos will be seen during your medical examination.

Read your fricking AFCO Form!

Last edited:

The_Duke

LE
Now moved to the recruiting forum, so please remember the moderation rules are stricter here.

All pretty much answered, but I will leave it open a little longer to allow the OP a chance to respond if she wants to.

I can't comment on the recruiting policy but if my new troopie rocked up in shirt sleeve order with an arm full of scribbles then I'd have a hard time taking them seriously.
Why? Not inked myself, never seen the point, but why would some artwork make it harder for you to take them seriously?

In comparison, say, to being competent?

Why? Not inked myself, never seen the point, but why would some artwork make it harder for you to take them seriously?

In comparison, say, to being competent?
Well in my own case it would be because I find it hard to find any common ground between normal people and those that pay money to let other people draw all over them.

Prejudicial? Very likely but then again who isn't?

Oh,

OP If you're 100% serious about joining up don't get any more inking done until you're in, certainly not a sleeve as that may (actually it almost certainly willbe ) be seen as 'excessive' in size, you may want to look at your current crop and assess them for 'obscenity'. Again it is what is seen by the beholder rather than yourself, you could get a tatooist to ink over them or similar.

Please don't try and join as an officer. Please.

Tattoos (at least large, visible ones) are not traditionally seen as being officer like. Will they bar entry as an officer? Not on their own, but they may well draw additional questions regarding what sort of person your are (people will stereotype) and whether your personality is compatible with life in authority in uniform.

However, I would suggest that (based on your posts in this thread), your written work may be more of a hindrance to your being selected than you potential tattoos. I would suggest you consider working on this.

On the tattoos thing, why don't you try to get in and if you are successful decide whether you want them done once you are commissioned?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I reckon a Cdt picking up the 'blade' with a big fcuk off spidey web across their grid would be fcuking awesome!

Swallows on the thumbs and 'love' 'haet' on the knuckles would be a bonus.

So im wanting to join the army next year as an Officer...

Im currently on a Public Services Course at College, and its a common question about tattoos in the Armed Forces. Im under the impression that as long as they arnt on your hands or neck then your fine?

Therefore Im wanting to clear this up, and asking whether this is correct?

If im joining as an Officer then having a sleeve of tattoos? would this be acceptable?
You might want to consider your grammar and spelling too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bitterandtwisted The NAAFI Bar 35