Tattoos in the Army

Hello,

I am Really interested in joining the army as an office but have one thing that might hold me back. About a year go i got a tattoo that is half on my back and a bit up on my Neck. It is just a symbol and not offensive but it may stop me getting in.

Are they Really strict about this or do they make exceptions?

Thank you.

I would imagine that it would go against you. A visible tattoo above the neckline would not look good in the mess at a function would it ?

Sorry to be brutally blunt but I think it would go against you, tell me this do you now regret it ?

What about laser removal ?

Rgds 58

No problem. A Tattoo on an Office is called signage and it quite normal.

If it is on your neck is it visible in a T-shirt? If so I think you may struggle, not sure of the exact regulations.

Army_Gal23 said:
Yeah ok i meant Officer. i am Tired and at work. Sorry.
As English does not appear to be your first language I make the assumption that these may be ethnic-based tattoos, in which case you may find that they are perfectly acceptable.

As a new entry officer all tatoos that will be visible in shirt sleeve order are frowned upon and may stop your entry into Sandhurst. This rule is relaxed for LE officers that have progressed through the ranks.

You'll be fekked as an Officer in the Army then..

No, really. Tired, in the office and cant string a sensible line of text together? This is all going to change when you wear the Uniform?

My God. Youre in line for the Mess Webley without even being in the Mess...

But good luck anyway. Just dont expect your tattoo to be the only stumbling block along your way.

Gosh your a charming person!

Just because i did'nt read one post you go off on one. Oh well, i guess thats your Perogative.

Well i will apply and see what they say, thats all i cand do. Thank you to the people with helpful answers.

info booklet in the application pack thingy that no-one ever reads said:
Any tattoo(s) which is/are offensive or obscene will be a bar to entry or re-entry. Additionally tattoos
should not be visible on the head and neck
. Furthermore any tattoo(s) excessive in size or number may be a bar to
entry or re-entry. You may be asked to complete a form describing your tattoos.

you're naffed. You should have followed my lead by getting very drunk at T in The Park and having a small monkey head tattooed on your arrse, thinking that a "smack the monkey" joke would make you seem hysterically funny in a jackass style, but in fact makes you look like a cnut and a bit of a poof.

As said any tattoos visible on the neck, face or arms can stop you getting in, especially as an officer. You have to declare all tattoos on your application form when applying for Regular soldier and when you go for your medical at the ADSC the SMO will assess if they are permitted or offensive (I have known applicants rejected at that stage for having racial, sexist tattoos). One lad had a tattoo of cannabis leaves on his shoulder and was refused by head of Recruiting. Youll have to declare it and await their decision, dont put any photos of your body parts on here for the ARRSE perverts to drool over, pm to me instead :oops: , ill assess them :wink:

This may not be a fashionable view but any officer recruiter type is going to draw a lot of very negative inferences from this tattoo. Laser surgery might be best if you are serious. Then claim its a birthmark / fire in childhood.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
simbo The Intelligence Cell 28
TheHatsRevenge The NAAFI Bar 30
Charlie_Cong Infantry 24