• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Tattoos At AFC Harrogate

hello,

I am currently at school doing GCSEs and have already sent in my application for Harrogate. i'm waiting to hear back about my interview and selection day but have a question about tattoos. I love tattoos, and i've wanted them since i was really young. Last year i thought "what's the point in waiting when i can have them now?" i bought some ink from a tattoo supply shop and got going. I gave myself a few small tattoos that were barely visible, but since then I have got more and more and now i have a few big tattoos on my left arm, making a sort of tattoo sleeve. Would this stop me from joining as a junior soldier as i have tattoos underage? and will i have to wait until i am 18 to join the army?

Just in case it's real

If your tattoo is offensive, obscene or racist it will stop you joining.
Small tattoos that aren't offensive in any way are not normally a problem, depending where they are on your body and how visible they are.

TATTOO RULE #1
The general rule is if your tattoo is visible on a passport photo it will be deemed unacceptable

TATTOO RULE #2
Tattoos that are offensive or obscene, ie those that depict sex acts, violence or illegal drugs for example are a no-no.

TATTOO RULE #3
Tattoos on the hand and the back of the neck are now OK. Most soldiers, however, keep their saluting hand clean out of respect.

TATTOO RULE #4
Tattoos on the head and face are unacceptable. If you're not sure, pop along to your nearest Army Careers Centre and show them.

Just in case it's real

If your tattoo is offensive, obscene or racist it will stop you joining.
Small tattoos that aren't offensive in any way are not normally a problem, depending where they are on your body and how visible they are.

TATTOO RULE #1
The general rule is if your tattoo is visible on a passport photo it will be deemed unacceptable

TATTOO RULE #2
Tattoos that are offensive or obscene, ie those that depict sex acts, violence or illegal drugs for example are a no-no.

TATTOO RULE #3
Tattoos on the hand and the back of the neck are now OK. Most soldiers, however, keep their saluting hand clean out of respect.

TATTOO RULE #4
Tattoos on the head and face are unacceptable. If you're not sure, pop along to your nearest Army Careers Centre and show them.
i do know this, but is it still the same for junior entry, or are there different rules regarding tattoos?

The_Duke

LE
Remember folks, if your answer isn’t current, accurate and helpful it doesn’t belong here.

The next comedian gets a nice long break.

i do know this, but is it still the same for junior entry, or are there different rules regarding tattoos?
There are JS here at the moment who have tattoos (inc one in my coy who has a rose tattoo on each hand as part of a sleeve).

Any tattoos you have will be assessed for suitability during selection but as long as they meet the guidelines shouldn't stop you coming to Harrogate.

When you arrive a log will be made of the tattoos you have. It is against Harrogate standing orders to get tattooed while a junior soldier so if you add to your collection while here you will receive disciplinary action (fine & restriction of privileges (ROPs) for the 1st offence)

Hope that helps (I'm an instructor here at the moment - but not a recruiter!)

There are JS here at the moment who have tattoos (inc one in my coy who has a rose tattoo on each hand as part of a sleeve).

Any tattoos you have will be assessed for suitability during selection but as long as they meet the guidelines shouldn't stop you coming to Harrogate.

When you arrive a log will be made of the tattoos you have. It is against Harrogate standing orders to get tattooed while a junior soldier so if you add to your collection while here you will receive disciplinary action (fine & restriction of privileges (ROPs) for the 1st offence)

Hope that helps (I'm an instructor here at the moment - but not a recruiter!)
hi im hopefully getting a tattoo on my left arm to cover up some scars would i still be able to join in september ?

EEeh Ba gum when I wur an apprentice and pay parades were a weekly occurance, one of the A squad comics sadly cant remember whether it was Brynner Allan or Piggy Wilson , got arrested of parade for having Please!! tattooed on their right palm and Thank you on his left, end punishment was 14 days nick in blackdown , ST Omer Guardroom was Full;)

Also bear in mind that [unless it's changed form my time there] you cannot get piercings or tattoos while you are there due to the risks of infection or such interfering with training - we took disciplinary action against a JS who got a Prince Albert ring put in - I had to explain to the very prim Coy Clerk what a 'frenulum' and a 'glans penis' were as she typed up the charge sheet!

edit to add - I see the same info was posted earlier but I'll leave my post for amusement value.

Join the Navy. Sailors' tattoos are required to be obscene.

In the 1960s, there was a matelot whose tattoos made him a walking work of art. I think he appears on one of the YouTube documentaries about RN aircraft carriers in the 1960s.

Particularly impressive was his back. It's adorned with an incredible, detailed scene of a fox hunt. Numerous hunters on horseback are following the hounds who are chasing the fox. Truly magnificent work but, as it's worn by a member of the senior service, the fox is disappearing up the sailor's arrse.

When considering getting a tattoo, contimplate the difference between True Love and a tattoo. ....................... Tattoos are for ever.