Tattooist wants paying twice for the same tattoo

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Lampard, Aug 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning chaps,

Been pondering posting this a while, but haven't got around to it.

I had a tattoo in June on my back, costing £250. It lasted 5 hours, at the end of which the artist informed me that because it had taken so long my back wasn't holding the ink as well, so i would have to come back at another date to have the black re filled in, at no extra charge. The tattoo was finished, it's an all black capricorn tribal type thing. But after giving it 3-4 weeks to fully heal it was obvious that it had faded.

So in i trot to the tattoo shop and am informed that they've now sacked that artist. "Fair enough", says I, "He told me to come back in 4 weeks and have the black re-done because my back wasn't holding the ink as well".
    The reply was "Well...he shouldn't have been doing tribal anyway, but ok, were going to have to charge you to have the black re-done".

Naturally i was unimpressed, not wanting to pay to have the same tattoo twice. I believed that i paid the full amount, so i should get an up to standard tattoo. They informed me that because they'd sacked him, i'd have to have another artist do it and because they work on a self employed basis, i'd have to pay. However, to sweeten me up, they offered the 'cheapest mates rates, only £50 an hour' as they'd done the tattoo before. I remarked that that was what i'd bloody paid originally anyway, and they said it was the best they could do.

I can't see the problem being they don't believe i had paid full amount, or that he hadn't offered to re-do the black, because one of the other artists remember him saying it.

Now, are they legally obliged to finish my tattoo at no extra cost to myself, as i've already paid once?

I'd have thought that as it was them that allocated that artist to me and my tattoo that it was up to them whether he should have been doing tribal or not? Surely the contract is with the shop, not the individual artist, so it's their responsibility to finish the job?

Advice would be appreciated, i really would rather not pay an extra £150 for something that's already cost me £250!

2. Black marker pen?

They're free in this office.
  3. Do you really want a pissed off Tatt artist, grumbling 'cos he's working gratis, on some other fucker's fuck up, shoving big needlely inky things into you?
  4. The courts would probably be on your side, but I wouldn't fancy having a guy that I'd just sued sticking needles in my back.
  5. You could have had para wings for £40 and, as our friend Golden shows, you don't even need to have been in to have 'em. Take it on the chin.
  6. They owe you, but as has been said, do you really want to have a pished off tattooist shove needles in you. Go back to him and see if you can come to an arrangement.
  7. And stop talking behind his back.

That's his job.
  8. Thought i'd update for anyone that's interest.
    Spoke to the boss and he was happy to lose his share of the cost of re-inking the colour and also to pay the tattooist for his time correcting the tattoo.
    3 sessions later and it's completed and is as dark as night.

Job Done! =)
  9. You going to show us the finished article?
  10. [​IMG]

I know. 5 hours for that eh? Pfft. :roll:
  11. Lesson learned? If you are going to get a tattoo, don't just go for the first artist that says they are cheap.
    Do your homework- You get what you pay for, and it's there for life. No point skimping on the spending.
  12. You owe me several minutes of my life back you dull cnut...
  13. As stated, you just need to pay up. I know that you won't be seeing it, but you'll be a laughing stock at the pool in Corfu, when you strip down to your speedo's and there is a big picture of a hairy c0ck on your scapula.

You've got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em. This is an instance to take the hit.
  14. Tattooes are so passe.

Now branding... now we are talking.
  15. Was in a tattoo parlour the other day. Branding looks gash.