Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this has already been mentioned but does anyone know the rules on Tattoo's and joining up? What you can and can't have and what is acceptable?
  2. Nothing racist etc
  3. Wear a long sleeved shirt and roll the sleeves down.

If you can see em then they may be a problem. Roll the sleeves up, if they are offensive or racist then again they may be a problem. Ask at the Careers Office.

Tat's on the face and neck are generally a definite no - no.
  4. Hi,

The only 'visible' one I have can be covered by a watch strap and is in no way offensive so hopefully I should be okay.

However I thought I would bring it up as several people seamed to be concerned on another post.

Thanks for the help.

5. Nothing offensive (Nazi symbols, far right wing, etc)

No tattoos below the wrist or any visable above the neckline.

What they are trying to get at is that if you wear any form of uniform (apart from CS95 sleeves rolled up) they can't be seen.

I think this is more the ceremonial side of life but hey ho!
  6. Last time I went into the AFCO there were a couple of lads who had tattoo's that could be covered by watch straps, they weren't offensive and they were told that they would have to have them assessed and could be told to have them removed....might be worth actually going to the AFCO and asking to get 100% the right info. Just a thought.
  7. No problem I will ask when I go in next week, considering quite a number of serving soldiers have forearm tattoo's etc I am hoping that the post above is true about not seeing them when in ceremonial dress.

If not it's going to be painful to get it removed :(
  8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I've got 25 of the things, never been an issue.
  9. You're always stuck behind a desk anyway, tatts hidden behind piles of undone paperwork! :D
  10. i have one on my shoulder and wasnt a problem at all and as far as i know its ok aslong as its not racist or anything potentially offensive and has to be below the neckline and not in view of hands etc
  11. Direct extract from Queen's Regs:

82. Tattoos. It is Army policy that a person with tattoo marks which, because of their size, position or nature would be detrimental to the Service, is ineligible for enlistment, re-enlistment or continued service in the Army. Tattooing is to be discouraged, and unacceptable tattoos may result in applications being made for discharge. Such tattoos are defined as being any tattoo(s), excessive in size or number, offensive or obscene, which are visible when wearing parade uniform (not including shirt sleeve order or sports clothing). The visible area comprises the head and neck.
  12. Is anyone aware of any formal research attempting to correlate intelligence with propensity to bear tattoos?

I merely ask.

I wouldn't dream of suggesting that the more ink on display, the lower the wearer's IQ.

I do confess, however, that I've never seen a graphic image of such compelling aesthetic appeal that I've felt the need to have it permanently fixed to my skin.
  13. Thank you so much Maldrop that is really useful!
  14. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

When did you come to my office?
  15. SNLR86 - are you just covering up the fact that you are afraid of the pain?? :p