Tattoo with regiment motto

Im joining the army very soon (got my basic training date) and i cant wait. Im very fond of the regiment im joining and read about the history watched some programs about them, and spoke to ex-servicemen.
Anyway im getting a tattoo wednesday on my chest which basically will have some latin on it that reads the regiments motto.
This leads me to some questions:

1. Will some soldiers in basic (especially soldiers in the regiment) have an issue with this?

2. With the tattoo being on my chest, it will never be seen unless im shirtless, so there wont be any issue me having a tattoo in the first place?

3. whats there rules on tattos in the army?

Thanks in advance for the replys :D

I wouldnt until you are properly a member of that regiment. I think they may take exception
(I'm only guessing as I've yet to start, thus I am keeping my neck thoroughly wound in)

Don't be a knob. Wait til you've been in your Regt 6 months, then get it done. Better still, wait til you've done a tour with them.

The rules on tattoos will be explained to you in the selection process. Your chest shouldn't be a problem, but read the policy first. I would recommend waiting until you join the regiment and have been in a bit before having this done; you may well fair or be rejected for medical reasons, or you may have a change of heart (it happens), and a tattoo on your chest is a pretty permanent reminder (and it's unlikely to be looked on too highly by the DS or your regiment when you first arrive; what do you think the reaction to someone who had para wings tattooed on before passing P coy or parachute training would be? A bit frosty, perhaps).

I recall the plant pot I was at school with who joined the Booties and got a load of Corps tattoos. He was promptly injured about week five of training and was discharged. What a twot he looks now but to be fair he doesn't walt it up and is up front with the truth.

Wouldnt bother mate, i was gonna get the QDG crest on my chest when i finish basic but its better to wait till you have at least served with the regiment or they'll just think your a cnut :)

As far as I am aware, no tattoo's that can be seen in long sleeve order, i.e on the hands/wrist or neck /face. I would also advise against getting a regimental tattoo until you have been there for a while.

Hope this help.

S_A

Don't do it

some of the adult (16+) cadets in my Det asked our parent unit about this and got some very bad replies. They do not like anyone that has not earned the right to have them, they made it clear that cadets and trainees did not have the right

It's a respect thing i think, get one when you earn the respect of the regiment you wish to join, until then just get something loosely related to what you want to do, for example i was planning on getting a tank tattoo when i finish my training as Im going to be a tankie.

futuregrunt said:
Don't do it

some of the adult (16+) cadets in my Det asked our parent unit about this and got some very bad replies. They do not like anyone that has not earned the right to have them, they made it clear that cadets and trainees did not have the right
You do mean 18+? You are not legally an adult until 18 years of age.

Dont have a tattoo done ,I had a tatto done without thinking and it was the biggest regret of my life ,

juke said:
Dont have a tattoo done ,I had a tatto done without thinking and it was the biggest regret of my life ,

So did I
age 15

and I am the biggest twat for having the word aids tattooed on the inside of my lef forearm in baby blue ink

Abuse me, I deserve it

For that stupid decision i am whats known to the world as a PRIZE C*NT

and I admit it

Dont get the tat until you've done a tour with the regt.

Imagine once you've passed through training and you end up at your regiment with a tatoo and you haven't even given them service yet, they're all gonna think your a total c***.

futuregrunt said:
Don't do it

Nobody has a copyright on a corps motto (apart from the REME - Ubendum wemendum), it is a stupid idea though, firstly you have to get into the Army, then you have to make it through training, wait until you're a part of the unit, then get the tat if you still want it.

Policy is no tattoos visible on the face or neck, you should really read yer application thorough and another thing don't be a fool and get a regimental tattoo yet not that i think the lads in the regiment would care just that you might change yer mind on what you want to do just be certain there is plenty of time to get all that shit done.

Thanks for all the replys basically the tatto aint actually anything to do with the army its just the bit of writing im having on there.

The tatto is a spartan/greek helmet with like a ribbon next to it with the regiments motto in latin. I could leave the text and just have a blank ribbon. And once ive passed basic (if i do) and done a bit of time with the regiment. Then i could get the motto written in, would you think thats ok?