Tattoo Policy

Just a quick one:

I have my medical coming up soon and obviously im going to have to show my tattoo's. The cause for concern is i have a gibberish tattoo on my right arse cheek which my mates kindly put there when i was passed out drunk abroad.... The tattoo contains the word "*******," its not offensive in any way other than that word(It says Crikey! Its a ******* snapper, just to put it in context). I've left it untouched up to now because i think its quite funny and it isnt exactly visible.

Going to be an issue or am i going down to the nearest tattoo shop to get "*******" scribbled over?

Cheers

You'll be fine. Just don't get any on your hands or neck, you're on a sticky wicket then.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
Just a quick one:I have my medical coming up soon and obviously im going to have to show my tattoo's. The cause for concern is i have a gibberish tattoo on my right arse cheek which my mates kindly put there when i was passed out drunk abroad.... The tattoo contains the word "*******," its not offensive in any way other than that word(It says Crikey! Its a ******* snapper, just to put it in context). I've left it untouched up to now because i think its quite funny and it isnt exactly visible.Going to be an issue or am i going down to the nearest tattoo shop to get "*******" scribbled over?Cheers
What the book says:Non-Visible Area. Recruiting authorities can only act on those tattoos(s) seen or declared by the Candidate. Candidates are to be made aware that any undeclared tattoo(s), particularly those that are offensive, obscene or racist, which are observed either during selection (by non-medical staff) or subsequent to their enlistment or re-enlistment, will result in the end of the selection process or discharge on the basis of it being detrimental to the Service.Your choice

Haven't you burned it off with a hot poker? You'd never have passed the medical for the SS.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
"Sup rec" is right about what recruiting instructions say but QRs are a little more general for soldiers in service, saying that anything offensive or obscene, are unnacceptable. The Army is working on getting its policy on tattoos more cohesive between recruiting and "in service".

Given its normally hidden position I do not think that you have too much to be concerned about. Only if it becomes an issue should you consider obliterating it.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Just a quick one:

I have my medical coming up soon and obviously im going to have to show my tattoo's. The cause for concern is i have a gibberish tattoo on my right arse cheek which my mates kindly put there when i was passed out drunk abroad.... The tattoo contains the word "*******," its not offensive in any way other than that word(It says Crikey! Its a ******* snapper, just to put it in context). I've left it untouched up to now because i think its quite funny and it isnt exactly visible.

Going to be an issue or am i going down to the nearest tattoo shop to get "*******" scribbled over?

Cheers
As far as I am aware, it won't be a problem unless you intend to display your bare arse in public while on duty.

If you join a highland regiment wearing a kilt whilst on parade in high winds might be a problem. Some black tape will provide a temporary solution under these circumstances.

Rodney2q

I have W W on my flaccid member, but when im erect it reads Wolverhampton Wanderers

Thats the SLR of old jokes
I have Shorty tattooed on mine ! When I get an erection (seldom nowadays) it reads Shorty's Tyre and Battery Service Wisconson USA - Open 9am-4.30pm by Appointment Only)

As far as I am aware, it won't be a problem unless you intend to display your bare arse in public while on duty.

If you join a highland regiment wearing a kilt whilst on parade in high winds might be a problem. Some black tape will provide a temporary solution under these circumstances.

Rodney2q
Bollocks !!! - They're designed to weigh down the Kilt in the Wind !

What the book says:Non-Visible Area. Recruiting authorities can only act on those tattoos(s) seen or declared by the Candidate. Candidates are to be made aware that any undeclared tattoo(s), particularly those that are offensive, obscene or racist, which are observed either during selection (by non-medical staff) or subsequent to their enlistment or re-enlistment, will result in the end of the selection process or discharge on the basis of it being detrimental to the Service.Your choice
Just wondering a couple of things from this...

1. What happens if you were to get a tattoo after selection & before phase 1? Do you just declare it at the medical they re-do at the start of your training?

2. What's the policy on getting tattoos after enlistment? Is it just use common sense i.e. nothing on hands/neck & nothing obscene/offensive or do you need to get permission first? Might be a stupid question but i just wondered what the policy on it was. I'm pretty sure i saw a soldier at selection with tattoo's on their hand and one of the blokes on the young soldiers programme had a tattoo on his hand; i thought that was always a complete no go area.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
Just wondering a couple of things from this...

1. What happens if you were to get a tattoo after selection & before phase 1? Do you just declare it at the medical they re-do at the start of your training?

2. What's the policy on getting tattoos after enlistment? Is it just use common sense i.e. nothing on hands/neck & nothing obscene/offensive or do you need to get permission first? Might be a stupid question but i just wondered what the policy on it was. I'm pretty sure i saw a soldier at selection with tattoo's on their hand and one of the blokes on the young soldiers programme had a tattoo on his hand; i thought that was always a complete no go area.
Don't get a tattoo after selection and prior to phase 1, it can invalidate your medical. Point 2 is correct.