TASO

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by matchbox, Jun 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know anything about the TASO scheme? I posted this on OTC forum too. What does it involve? Is it still running?
    I searched for it but none of the discussions on it were recent.

2. Best off speaking to a UOTC in your area. All the TA units I've been with haven't really cared much for the scheme which basically involves a TA unit picking up the bill for a UOTC cadet with a view to him commisioning into that unit at some indefinite point in the future (which then doesn't happen).

3. I've heard that but I've been in my regiment for a while so got loyalty to it - COC's not actually heard of the scheme and think OTC would admin me and I'm basically leaving. I understood though it wasn't like that but even my local UOTC weren't too well versed on it.

4. We have a UOTC guy doing this at my unit at present. If you want any further details feel free to drop me a PM.

5. In a nutshell, you are signed on the books of a TA unit, but continue your officer training with the OTC (mods 1-3) and then once commissioned go to your TA unit (or do both, depends on how much time you have). Most TA units like you to train with them whenvever possible, but the training priority is with the OTC.

Not sure what it's like, but i know in one UOTC their brigade pays the TA units to take on a number of TASOs, so the actual pay doesn't come out of the TA budget (so bring this up to enquire about, if they get you for 'free' then it can be great).

The scheme is a great way to get the best of both worlds, but needs to be properly managed. If you don't have switched on Adjs and AOs then it can be a nightmare (but thats the same with most TA stuff).

Crack on with it, there are lots of benefits to you and the units.

6. Yes, agreed. And if any potential TASO's/UOTC grads are in the South London Area/Surrey area and fancy joining a signals unit, I'd be happy to hear from them!
    We have vacancies for dynamic, thrusting, crazy, mad subbies.

7. most units are very selective about who they have on this "scheme". probably going to get worse with the funding and all