TASO scheme: rich pickings?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Oct 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Now that the TA are getting paid and the OTC are not, is this a possible opportunity to boost our Officer Corps via the TASO scheme?

2. I refer my learned friend to my previous answer!
  3. obviously.

though now we wont really have to try as hard.
    "Become a TASO - Get paid and still shag everything!"
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Why should it? TASO are still on the books of the OTC, but "sponsored" by the TA in terms of dress items, a few weekends and the odd coctail party.

To benefit from the budget, the OCdt has to transfer from the OTC to the TA, and becomes a TAPO, not sponsored.
  5. msr

msr LE

Do you have a link? :)

6. msr

msr LE

That is not my understanding... They can be on our books if they wish (to get paid ;) ) and train with the OTC.

7. Can I take it you've seen the new official buget and OTC's aren't getting paid?
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Correct, they can be - but as a TA soldier, training at the RTC as a potential officer and working their way through the various modules of the commissioning course. TASO remains on the books of the OTC.
  9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Erm....quite......Da Yoof is in OTC......and he thinks he's still being paid......AFAIK OTC weren't affected by the latest gyrations ....but interested to know what the Official Line is......

Don Cabra
  10. msr

msr LE

Can I take it you have missed the point of this thread?
  11. TAPO/TASO are both paid by the TA. the PO only trains with the TA, the SO trains with both and is effectively a plant in the OTC IOT recruit more, and allows a more gently conversion from student alcho shagger to respectable responsible TA member with officer potential.

Duke - this is how it was 3 years ago anyway, and I havent heard it has changed!

Anyway, the point I was making was that the TA can offer the scheme of
    - best of both worlds
    - ensured you get paid
    - but will the TA pay for what the SOs do with OTC, or just the TA trg? all down to a matter of MTDs and how nice the RAO is i suppose.

as such, the TA wont have to try as hard to recruit POs/SOs from the OTC because this deal is rather sexy (if indeed the OTC are no longer paying their cadets)
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It may have been how it worked three years ago, but it is not how it works now (at least not in the disctrict I am in). A TASO remains on the OTC books, but with a given allocation of MTDs from the OTC to be used on TA training. The nature and frequency of this TA training is controlled by the OTC.

It allows an OTC cadet to spend time with the unit that sponsors him/her and build up relationships with a potential future TA unit, but they remain firmly TACOM OTC and are mandated to continue attending OTC training.
  13. hmm fair enough
    sure isnt the whole scheme a bit of gentleman's agreement anyway, leaving the financial aspect to the RAO/PSAO? afterall cant MTDs be transferred and have the books cooked anyway?
    When i TASO'd 3 years ago I was my regt's first and they didnt really know what it was all about...nor did the OTC haha!
  14. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Nope, in theory TASO's are/were paid from a separate budget line controlled by RF. It remains to be seen what will happen to them - or even if the scheme will continue - under the new funding dispensation. Currently, the only OTC OCdts that can expect to be paid prior to next April are Army Bursars, so get those AOSB applications in folks!

It's a slightly odd situation. TAPOs training through RTC's will continue to be paid as a priority (and would have been, even before the £20mill was reinstated) because apparently we have a desperate shortage of junior TA officers, yet the OTCs, which produce the overhelming majority of TA officers, have lost much of their funding.
  15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You learn something new every day. Perhaps the CO of the OTC was using this budget, but he was certainly the one controlling the MTD allocation for OCdts.