TASO obligations

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by mcflurry, Jul 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

There have been a few threads on this but most are 3+ years old, and the ARRSEpedia isn't hugely forthcoming. I'm in the process of TASOing with my local TA Regiment, but no-one involved is clear on the actual obligations. I know the basics (take on TA unit's uniform, train with them, eventually commission with them). Does anyone have the dictionary definition, so to speak?

(Apologies if bone thread)

2. Ask your PSI

3. It varies massively between units, OTC training is supposed to come first. Some units have their TASOs along most weekends others see them about once a year. Generally if you're keen and not too annoying they'll probably invite you to stuff or let you come if you ask. I'd suggest getting hold of their training programme and asking them straight up what they'd like you to do and tell them what you'd like.

4. Thanks. They're happy for me to come along on everything, so I suppose that's that. Just wondering if there's a 'DS answer'.

5. I don’t think there is a DS answer, it very much depends on the OTC and the hosting unit. You were right about the ‘wear the uniform, promise to train etc’ and it is very much dependent on a number of issues.

1. How many MTDs your OTC can afford to pay you. Most are budgeted for 5-6 per year per cadet for TASO activities. Not everyone will use their allocation, and so some might be able to do much more. It will also depend on where you live / go to uni in that will you be able to train in the holidays. The TA is a 50 weeks per year org unlike your OTC. The more you can do in your hols the better.

2. What type of relationship you have with the host unit. You will have seen on arrse how busy sub units are, but they should make a priority to recruit the next generation of officers. Make sure they know who you are, and you come along to as much as you can. I would stay in weekly+ contact with the Offr who is your point of contact and be reliable. Turn up when you say you’re going to turn up.

3. When you do train with them, remember they are looking at you as much as you looking at them. They are not expecting you to be a fully qualified night fighting ninja, but someone who mucks in, gets involved, doesn’t start everything with ‘one time in the OTC…’ and is generally humble and a good egg. I ask my soldiers and NCOs for their views on POs not just the other officers. After all, it is they who will work most closely with you in the future.

4. Enjoy the opportunity to see a TA unit, warts and all, and have a very good look at the other officers and how they are in command. It will help you develop your own leadership style.

5. If you are unsuccessful at AOSB, don’t worry, it is disappointing, but then there are other opportunities for command in the NCO ranks. I was quite surprised to find out over 40% of my teeth arm Sqn had gone to uni, and a large proportion had served in an OTC.

If in doubt, ask your host unit questions and ask them what they want out of you.

• Like Like x 1