TAs relocating to Canada ?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Goatman, Dec 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Old news now but if you are moving to Canada for a spell this may be of interest:

Hmmm....wonder if this also opens the way for exchange postings for Reservists......

Le Chevre
  2. More likely that a very few select and mainly officer units will be given the chance of their annual camp over there, maybe as watchkeepers in Bde or BG HQs. As for the rest? You can't go over there and use the kit that's there (with the exception of the Wessex Yomanry) and the cances of taking your own is not really an option.
  3. Just had a look around Canadian Reserve Forces Location

What unit do Signals serve in, I've tried looking at Canadian Brigade sites (from the above link) and haven't found the info.
  4. Do they still have the 'speak french or die' rule?
  5. Had a bloke from my unit who went there for a year and trained with their Seaforth Highlanders (I think). From what I can tell they looked after him really well treated him as a bit of a mascot on their parades. He has since emigrated to Canada and from what I can tel has joined up properly.
  6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

An officer from the Royal Hong Kong Regiment (The Volunteers) trained with the Canadian Reserve for 2 years in the 80's and I remeber him saying there was a TA officer in his Canadian unit as well so I'm not sure if this is all that new. Mind you it could have been on an ad hoc arrangement. When I went to Hong Kong in 1983 the TA carried on paying me for 2 years whilst I attended training in Hong Kong. I don't know if it was done officially or I was just being put down on the company role as attending. My 'service' in the Hong Kong theatre never appeard on my docs. (I found that out years later when I rejoined)
  7. would be interesting if the RFCA allow ACF staff to train with Canadian ACF units over there as well as TA
  8. I took about ten of our lads over to the Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada http://www.qor.com/ back in the late 90’s. They couldn’t do enough for us. The FTX was good fun, mainly because the training area was very different to what we were used to. The river crossing involved abseiling in CEMO down a cliff to a pontoon, with a harness you made out of a piece of rope, we then paddled 6km up river. It made a change from the stream at Thetford. At the end of the Ex they took us to a ‘Scottish’ pub in Toronto and asked us how it compared to the real thing. Just the same except the furniture was in one piece and there were no drunks fighting! :D

We had a regimental connection because we shared the same regimental march at one time! They also had links with 5 RGJ (because the're Rifles) and 10 PARA (because some of them are para trained).
  9. Dunno, maybe I should ask the Canadian next to me before he flies back.

Weird, seconds after this topic originally appeared my department got a bit of work in Canada :lol:
  10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Nothing weird about it Comrade Polar....our spies are everywhere...all is known.....keep watching the skies :wink:

Le Chevre