tarting up a rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Jun 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

At the auctions I picked up a .PH 7x57 in ratty order and got the wood started up nicely. Bought an ex demo Swarovski 6x42 for it but the barrel is a bit bare as is the mag floor plate. Does anyone have experience of using plastikote paint for barrels?
    I only want it to look reasonable whilst I decide whether to rebarrel it within a year if there isn't enough rifling to see the year out!

2. Hi Uggs...

..I think rust bluing is a bit overkill - you need a boiling tank for a start!

Like all finishes - it's all down to preparation and application.. Whatever you do you will need to strike off the barrel and degrease thoroughly.. If you can take down the barrel and mount in a lathe it will make the job easier..

Finish is up to you.. Birchwood Casey superblue will do an excellent job - wear gloves and use xxxx wire wool between coats. when you have the depth of blue you want soak with a polarised oil like Sheath/barricade and leave for at least 24 hours to cure..

Painting a cylindrical object is quite tricky to ensure you don't get runs or pinholes.. you also need a warm and dust free area to let the finish set..

3. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

4. Cold Bluing is fairly cheap and nasty, but if you only want a temporary fix...

5. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Working gun or posing gun ?

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm with Mongo on this as I just want it black till I decide on rebarrelling! I have rust blued in the past and whilst if done properly it looks nice I can't be arsed! Its just to cover the shiny metal where the finish wore off! The new barrel next year will have a new finish! The receiver is the important part as that will outlive any barrel! If I didn't have such a nice scope I'd leave it!

7. I've used plastikote for rifle parts before. The satin black gives the same sort of finish you used to get on 80's BSA air rifles but a little less likely to chip if you use multiple thin coats and don't just dump it on thick.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sounds good do I need to bake it?

9. You can but you don't have to if you let the coats dry properly in between spraying.

I've also used powdercoating to achieve the same results but coating a barrel is a bit of a pain.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Right I will possibly get a tin of plastikote this week, I need to reblack the barrel before I mount the sexy and luscious looking swarovski into the refurbed furniture. I wont rush into screw cutting unless accuraccy is bad enough to warrant lopping of the ringed bit.
    I will post pics.
    Not this week as I'm too lazy and looking at spending wed evening at the auction viewing!

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I may get the new barrel in a matt grey as per Claypigs Grendel, it does then force me down the road of refinishing the whole rifle and restocking so a trip to the Boyds catalogue for a laminate Mauser stock will be in order!
    As I say all heavy work is so next year!

12. If it's just a tide over job prior to later rebarrelling, I've had decent results using cold blue solutions (pauses to allow the sharp intake of breath from the blinking maggotlike gunsmiffs in their deep cellars). If you degrease the rifle well, I use very fine wire wool and a warm sodium hydroxide bath where no aluminium or magnesium bits are involved and for smaller patch jobs I use acetone. Then it's a case of applying the solution evenly and without touching the metal to be treated. I hang them on a pullthrough. Wash the shit off thoroughly once you have the required colour and dry the gun. A good quality gun oil is essential afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

In the end I bought two cans, one of Plastikote and one of VHT. Both were matt black and I thought I'd give the plastikote a go first.
    What an utter piece of shit. I sprayed it outdoors and left it in the sun the dry for two days but even then the paint came straight off on my fingers. Sadly sh who must be obeyed doesnt have a riifle barrel length oven so off came the mess and on went the VHT. 2 coats 30 mins apart (dried to touch in 15) and the rifle is back in its stock. Yes its a very flat black almost light absorbing finish but all I wanted was to hide the shiny metal and this seems to fit the bill. I will get some pics, its scoped up and I want to fit new qd sling swivel eyes and a leather and canvas sling. Then its to the range for testing. If it groups ok then its ready for this autumn in Scotland if not the Swarovski gets fitted to the Rigby.