Tartan Cummerbunds with Mess Kit?

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by accidentalscaley, May 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why do the Queens Gurkha Signals SNCO's wear a tartan cummerbund with their mess kit? Any ideas? No-one seems to know
  2. All QGS Officers and SNCOs wear Grant Tartan Cummerbunds. See the history below quoted directly from the QGS History Page on the R SIGNALS web site.

"All the men were titled Gurkha Royal Signals and wore the badge of the Royal Corps of Signals, 'Jimmy'. Certain dress differences were soon established to set both British and Gurkha ranks of the Gurkha Royal Signals apart from their counterparts. But it was on the persistence of Major Gregory that the Regiment gained its prized Grant tartan and began its affiliation with the now 32 (Scottish) Signal Regiment (Volunteers).

Major Gregory proposed in 1952 that the Regiment should have a pipe band as many other Gurkha Regiments had and to this end an affiliation with a Scottish Regiment should be made. The only pipe band in existence in the Royal Corps of Signals belonged to the 51st (Highland) Infantry Division Signal Regiment based in Aberdeen, and so overtures were made to cement an affiliation. Help was very forthcoming from the 51st Highland Division Signal Regiment and a corps of pipes and drums were established with their help and the help of the Royal Scots Fusiliers, based in Malaya at the time. The affiliation was approved and formalised when Major (QGO) Parsuram Gurung MBE, who was in the UK for the coronation, visited the Regiment and presented it with a ceremonial Kukri and received a Quaich in return. From the 51st Division Signal Regiment the Gurkha Signals inherit their Tartan, which is the Grant tartan and which the regiment is permitted to wear by the authority of Lord Strathspey, Clan Chief of the Clan Grant, and the Regimental March which is 'Scotland the Brave'. The affiliation of the Regiment now passes on to 32 (Scottish) Signal Regiment which was formed on 1 April 1967 and in which the 51st Division Signal Regiment has become 51 Highland Signal Squadron.
  3. Outstanding! Very many thanks
  4. Now that is what I call a quality answer, not a lot of people knew that.
  5. Which Grant tartan is it? There basic tartan is the same as the Black Watch. They also have a very red tartan.

Just interested as I know Sir Archie Grant of Monymusk but he is rather mad and I have never sen him in tartan.
  6. Oh, found this one about a year late. Speaking as a former member of 32 (S) Sig Regt (V), I can say with some authority that the tartan patch worn behind the jimmy is the Dress form of the Grant tartan. When I asked why it was the (very red) Dress form rather than the green Hunting form, I got an answer but I can't remember it.

7. Fascinating B_M