TARS, PFT and onto the TA CFT

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by BoringUsername1, Mar 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Folks,

I'm new and shiny, just about to disappear on TARS. I'm happy I'll be alright for that, but the problem is getting a straight answer for everything else that follows.

I've done a few searches but what's not clear is by when I need to be looking at 2.4 km in 10:30 (or rather better, nobody likes to be scraping by). At the moment I'm about 2 1/2 stone too heavy (for my liking anyway) with a 2.4km time of 12:30, I might drag my ass through TARS, so long as they don't just laugh at me, it's obviously got to get better. The question is, to what by when. I dug up the MATT's PDFs before that become frigging compartmentalized, classified material kept with the nuclear launch codes. Sadly I can't seem to find them anymore and all the Arrse Wiki links seem to be either out of date or reference dead links. Google hasn't been much help as all the references seem to be full of rubbish.

So, sorry for asking this again, After TARS, I'm looking at Phase 1 and the PFT, what're the scores for the PFT? After that it's Phase 2, and the TA CFT, what're the scores for that?

Sorry, for Infantry, before I forget.

2. Ta cft is 6miles with 25 kgs though if you want to deploy have to do the 8miles cft with 25kg in one hour 50 minutes .You should be fit enough for it to be 2 hours of boredom .Unfortunatly I am not so have to do more training.
  3. msr

msr LE

4. Is TARS the new TA Phase 1 that started recently? Whats the difference between this one and the last 'version' of TA Ph1?

Just being nosey, heard some of our new crows mentioning they were the first on the new one but they didn't know what exactly was new!
  5. msr

msr LE

I suspect very little, but someone somewhere obviously needed that 'Planned and Implemented Change' tick in the box.

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

TARS - TA Recruit Seletion weekend. All "One Army" doncha know.

BARB, RRR, ice breaker etc to weed out the totally non-desirables. To be honest, I was dubious about it and believed it was just one more weekend to fit in.

After having run with it for several months, I am a convert. We use it as a pre-selection - higher than 10.30 for the RRR and we will not take you (usual caveats and conditions may apply). It is also a good eye opener and sets the scene, so reduces the shock come weekend one. People who fail the 10.30 then have the option of back squadding or going somewhere less physically demanding without the "stigma" of jacking and transferring part way through Ph1.
  7. msr

msr LE

Wow the 'new' RSW :)
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Recruits are selected every weekend, or self select - at least if the standards are high enough they do! :wink:
  9. So 4 PARA are using it aswell? I know at one point you ran your own selection weekends.
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

We used to do "insight" weekends, with a PFT as the start state, but the paperwork/medical issues became a nightmare. Also, why fight the battles you don't need to. TARS works, and is required, and is a minimal admin burden for us - so why not go with the flow?
  11. Oh aye I completely understand why you'd use it. My Bn used to run internal phase 1 and recruit selection right up untill the start of last year, it was a strain on the Bn that now has been thrown elsewhere! (Although we do still run 2 week condensed Phase 1 internally for those that don't want to do the weekends).
  12. Risk Reduction Run

A mile and a half run completed in a set time.
  13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

We still run Phase 1 (all 9 weekends) internally with CIC being run by P Coy at ITC, so we avoid the RTC system and the TA ITC entirely (other than TARS).

It works for us, but is a huge drain on manpower.
  14. If you take livestock onto the selection weekend you deserve to be laughed at.

I'm sure the donkey would not need your help, btw.
  15. RRR is risk reduction run as already stated. The PFT should be press ups, sit up then the run but you will find that in training (part 1b and C or whatever its called now) they do the run first then the pressups and situps. Its rather easier doing it the wrong way around.