Target Sports Magazine is no more

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by stoatman, Mar 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ... which is a shame.

Now, should I transfer my subscription to Sporting Rifle, or to Classic Arms & Militaria?

I've not seen either of these magazines and cannot choose between them from the description.

Thoughts?

Oh, and EX-STAB, did my diagrams on the proof mark thread makes sense to you?

2. Any particular reason why?

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Yeah just got the letter saying the remaining 7 issues of my subscription were being transferred to Sporting Rifle - same thing as you - is it any good as I cannot even get to a newsagents for quick browse?

4. Credit crunched. They can't maintain enough advertising revenue to pay for publication, and I guess they couldn't switch to a less expensive format like that of Gun Mart ( monochrome on newsprint).

5. Big shame - it was one of the better magazines, although I was beginning to get a bit bored of the recent divergence into shotguns - other magazines already cater for that market.

It's probably stating the obvious, but I would reccomend switching to SR if you are interested in precision rifles. Apparently, more custom rifles and precision reloading equipment are now sold to sporting shooters than for target use. Classic Arms & Militaria is probably better if your tastes run to black powder and HBSA events.

I had a free copy of Sporting Rifle last year and it looked pretty good. Also they are promising to take on some of the better TS writers like Vince Bottomley and Laurie Holland in a new target shooting section.

6. Interesting, is this a general problem for the publishing industry? Are we going to lose alot of magazines/papers we know and love in the newsagents?

7. I gave up on target sports magazine a while back. There was just nothing new in it. Sporting rifle is better because at least there are stories and travel elements to it. There's only so much to say about: "and then my last shot was just outside the v-bull..."

Shooting times is quite good. Weekly.

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I get 3 or 4 calls EVERY DAY from increasingly desperate magazine advertising reps - despite the fact that I've got adverts running in about 10 different publications - with year-long bookings!

It's got to the point that I'm having to get the girls to say I'm out when one of them phones.

I do feel sorry for them, but everyone is taking a hit thanks to Gordo.

9. Slightly OT, but a lot of good British gun mags seem to have disappeared over the years.

I was a big fan of Handgunner, but I suppose the handgun ban kind of ruined it for them. :(

What about Guns Review? That was an excellent and very informative magazine. When did it finally die off?

Which magazines (apart from those already mentioned in this thread) are still going in the UK?

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Guns review was a quality read, I knew a few of the contributors! It faded late 90's I seem to recall!

11. It's a shame - it was good for the SB TR stuff. Good for womens' shooting, too.

Our firstborn managed to get a photo on his own in it (well, his pram featured too), aged three months :)

Ah, but will their cover photos have that slight bias towards "young woman with gun"...?

12. I thought that Guns Review went out in the late 80s.
    I can remember Target Guns quite well, in fact I have a couple of old copies lurking in a cupboard somewhere, when it changed to Target Sports it slowly went downhill.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I assisted a chap with his review of the Mas 36 definetley post 97!

14. That sort of review has made me skip large chunks of the magazine in the past, and reminded me why I stopped shooting target rifle all those years ago. 50-70 quid to go and shoot a competition of a weekend during which I placed a grand total of around 30 shots in the bull's-eye. Yawn.

Marvellous! That has just given me an idea for a new thread!

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Sounds promising, I like the stuff Vince writes. I'll go with that and see what its like.