Target Rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by dhgrainger1, Mar 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all you gun-crazy people, I'm after some help please!

At the end of June I'll be going to Bisley to take part in a Shooting competition and one of the weapons is the Target Rifle. I shot it last year as well, wasn't awful, but I'd like to be better this year so could do with some tips!

One of the lads on the team shoots for GB U19, but he's buggered off to S. Africa for a tour with them, so I'm appealing to you lot for tips! I'm not entirely sure what caliber it was, 5.56 rings a bell, but I honestly can't remember. We were given a big thick padded jacket to wear whilst firing and the format was 2 sighters and 5 scorers. Range is 600 yards with nothing but iron sights. There's also no sling for us to use, just a step to rest the weapon on.

So lads, with your handy hints and tips, at the target in front, go on!
  2. Book some ranges, take binos and a notebook, get a coach, swot up on wind tables
  3. I'm no TR expert, but I have found that using a plot sheet has helped my rifle shooting enormously.

First download this: GB - 600 yard plot sheet

Plot your first sighter on the sheet. If you are using a proper target rifle, the sights will be calibrated in minutes of angle, probably with 1 click=1/4 minute.

The important thing to know is that the grid on the plot sheet are 1 minute square. So, supposing your first sighter hits 2 squares left and 1 down from the V bull, you would need to adjust your sights 8 clicks right and 4 up to hopefully hit the bull with your next shot, assuming of course that the wind condition is the same and your shot is good! If you can, try to take your shots when the wind flags are blowing the same as your sighter.

That's the basic idea, although you can get more fancy by using the plot sheet to work out the mean wind condition. For 5 shots though I would keep it simple.
  4. Tankie2ndrtr

Tankie2ndrtr Old-Salt Reviewer

Just aim at the middle..............
  5. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Its 7.62 DHG

Get yourself a decent coach!! Windage and elevation tables will be a huge help too.

PM me if can help any more, think I ve got a disc kicking about that might help a wee bit.
  6. Sure its 7.62.
  7. And having been at the Scottish Target meet last year they all take it so seriously its unbelievable. I ran a range at BAG SAM and the soldiers didnt take it nearly so seriously. Tho i did disqualify alot of people.
  8. Apologies, 7.62!! That was the other figure in my head, but I'm no gun nut!

Thanks for the tips, unfortunately range time is highly unlikely before the comp, it's not something we can make a lot of time for, but that's universal for all teams so it really is a who's best on the day sort of thing!

Mwl, PM will be inbound shortly!

I was after tips that I could take with me, and I've got a few, so thanks again! If there's any more, keep em coming!
  9. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

But that's cos you re a nasty, nasty man hehe :p
  10. Join an organisation:

Army - ARA/ATSC
    TA - TARA
    Cadet - CCRS

All, i'm sure, will gladly help
  11. Several people have asked me for the link to the plot sheets for all the different distances. You can find them here on the US Palma Team website:
  12. You sure you can't use the arm sling because i'm going and i'm pretty sure we are using them.
    If you have never fired a Tr before they are quite different from SA80's and the kickback is a little stronger.

It really would be useful to get yourself on a range, you can get all the tips you want but it will never equal time spent on the range.