Tarantinos "Inglourious Basterds"

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Stein, Aug 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unbelievable and beyond measure. This was so much better than I expected. Easily his best since Pulp Fiction. I just can't wait to see it again.

Tarantino mentioned, in an interview with Roger Ebert, that he did not let Christopher Waltz (as Colonel Landa) rehearse with any of the actors because he wanted Waltz to surprise his co-stars. " I wanted to keep them nervous and anxious about Landa. So I didn't want them to know what Landa would do until we were doing the later scenes." That decision made the other actors on edge.

At that scene with the Nazi and baseball club Eli Roth looks like loose Samson from the Bible. While Col. Landa treats him with much "Aryan" contempt. I like it that Tarntino choose Jewish and German actors for their parts (great mistake in Brian Singer's Valkyrie. British character actors as Nazi officers is so outdated). Only this way he could get out of his actors the most they can offer. You can feel that for the actors it means more than comic film. That scene in the field, with classic Morricone piece in the background (The Big Gundown), looks awesome. Great homage for Spaghetti Westerns. Eli Roth looks so tense as if he personally avenging historical moment. You can call it ahistorical, fantasy revenge and revesionist but it rings very true psychologically. Unresolved collective trauma.

Watch Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds" highlight (the baseball club scene), homage for the classic 1966 Italian western ''The Big Gundown'' aka ''La Resa dei conti''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46-6r_e2VIU

2. Does it have all the hallmarks of "classic" Tarantino?

- Shameless exaggeration of the key elements of whatever genre he's "doing" this time. But that's okay because it's homage, apparently.
    - Long, tedious conversations about nothing: The kind you can experience firsthand with a 12 pack of beer in your mate's living room.
    - Offbeat soundtrack to emphasise how "cool" the director is.
    - Stupidly cartoonish violence.
    - An unsatisfying ending.

Can you tell that I love Tarantino?

3. Indeed classic Tarntino. Excellent dialogue and acting all around.

Watch the best scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46-6r_e2VIU

Rummy'll probably like this film....it sort of took one of his lines:

"This German wants to die for his country.....oblige him."

4. Would like to know German reaction.

5. Nein!! Es ist nicht so gut!!

6. Would like to know how Germans react to the film, mainly the last scene - the blood tatoo. Either it can alienate them or served its message much better than the mawkish Schindler's List.

Sure the Jew loving and German hating got old by the end, but the film hardly took itself seriously. Perhaps what has people riled up is the fact that every german soldier depicted in the film is a nazi, in fact every German is depicted as a Nazi.

7. According to my missus (a boxhead) it's going down a storm over there.

8. Watching Colonel Landa on that scene, calmly endeavored to show bravery, I was reminded by the words of hangman John C. Woods at the Nuremberg trials

9. It was all the rage back then.

10. Thought it was rather good. Brad Pitt in particular is hilarious. Came over as a comic book more than a filum in many ways. I suppose you have to like Tarantino though, as it is littered with clichés. I would go and watch it again though, as there is quite a lot you can miss. Agreed its his best since Pulp Fiction.

11. Christopher Waltz did deserve his best actor award for his portrayal of Colonel Landa though. But knowing how things run in Hollywood I doubt he will win the Oscar as he did in Cannes. Most probably the winner will be Morgan Freeman (as Nelson Mandela) in a Clint Eastwood's film "Invictus" to be scheduled in Dec. 11. Remember Oscars 2009...Sean Penn ("you commi homo-living sons of guns") and Mickey Rourke...

12. Would love to see next year's History GCSE answers for "How did Hitler die?" :p

13. Lieber Stein,

seh's mir nach, aber nach deinem Englisch zu urteilen, bist du ein Boxheed. Es würde mich echt interessieren, wie der Streifen, der ja die Deutschen keineswegs so zu sagen "ins rechte Licht rückt", insgesamt in deiner Heimat aufgenommen worden ist. Mit Jubel? Mit Trauer? Mit Hinblick auf Verständnis?

Nenn mich neugierig wenn's passt, aber es interessiert mich nun mal.

MsG

14. I thought this was a great film - as long as you don't try to take it too serious - I think Tarantino pulled off his attempt at mixing Western & War together pretty well.

I also think the first scene is probably up there with one of the best openings of all time.