TARA?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by one_flew_over, May 18, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know how/why RSM's got the nickname TARA? What does it actually mean?

I've heard it comes from t'RSM said qucikly wiht an Irish accent (I can't quite get that one!) or from an Indian word meaning elephant.

Cheers

ofo

2. Dont know if this helps or is just me drivelling - waiting for sundown and the next launch of Aurora!

I remember....from my time in NI, he says dipping into an Irish accent, then 'the RA' was local terminology for that bunch of Republican terrorists....when I used to be in those circles.

When said in a heated, quick Paddy-Stylee conversation, "TA-RA" meant the balaclava wearing debt collectors who used to help with arthritis of the knees - usually in the back-alleys of Belfast.

If its some other term for the RASS-Man, then I don't remember it.

3. I think your initial reason why was correct, think it's more a northern thing though as specifically Irish - T'RSM

4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The RHF told me it was Jockanese for 'Chieftain'

Dui Lai, were they fibbing?

5. Area 51

So it DOES exist then!! - I knew it, but they wouldn't believe me...

la la la la la :p :p :p

6. Tara is a Yorkshire Regiments thing and is short for t'RSM - pronounced as TAR SM.

When the old and bold met at various reunions, the old RSMs (some from before Hitlers war) were always referred to as Tara (though never to their face.

7. Scottish Regiments always referred to the RSM as The Tara. Means King or Chief.

8. from "Righ" ?

9. My recollection (1952'ish) is that TARA was Technical Assistant Royal Artillery. A WOI who used to do technical calculations such as as the settings required if bang was to be on target.
    I understand that the modern bow and arrow does not require such assistance?

10. More like Tiara.....queens wearing jewels hanging from their heads...

I´ll get me coat.... :roll:

11. Righ means King, Tara means chief, which is why the jocks call him "The Tara".

It could be gaelic or doric, and will bow to superior knowledge here.

12. Tara in Co. Meath, Ireland was the ancient residence of the High King of Ireland (Árd Rí). Chief in Irish Gaelic (or more properly 'Gaeilge' or Erse) is 'Taoiseach' which is the official name of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Ireland. The use of one or more of these terms or the phrase 'The Tara' may stem from the numbers of Irishmen serving in Scottish (specifically Highland) regiments from the late 18th century onwards. Gaelic was the language of command in Irish and Highland regiments certainly up until the time of the Indian Mutiny, and possibly beyond. It might interest people to know that Gaelic was the most spoken language on the British side at Waterloo.

Another possible origin of variations of Rí or Riogh maybe a corruption of the Norse word for king - 'Rijk'. I understood that 'Thane' was also a word used for lord in Scotland (again, I believe of Norse origin).

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. The start line for the Tyneside Irish Brigade on the 1st July 1916 was nicknamed the Tara-Usna line. Both names came from their Irish roots as did the name Avoca which was given to the valley into which they had to walk to reach the front line. The Tara-Usna line was nearly a mile to the rear of the British front line; the 2nd and 3rd battalions ceased to exist before they crossed into no-mans land. The Division suffered 71% casualties over the course of two miles.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. ..it does, gg. Do you have any references I can look at?

15. My vote goes with Old Redcap. TARA - Technical Assistant R.A. was a WOI/WOII who would be acting as safety officer for the Battery to ensure all data was checked and verified before a round was in the air.