Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by RP578, Jun 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Just logged on to ArmyNet and came across "TAQ - The quarterly magazine for the TA" downloadable as a PDF. First time I'd ever heard of it! It's the first issue, but you'd thought they'd had a bit of a launch for it.

Still, perhaps a welcome development. Not p*ssing on the old Reserve Link pamphlet, but it was a bit sparse.
  2. Quarterly, so that's going to provide up-to-the-minute information. Even the CoC can usually get info to us in that timeframe...

Why do so many people thinnk that another newletter is what we need?

How the hell can this be justified in the face of a £5m budget cut?
  3. msr

msr LE

Perhaps that is not quite so:

Welcome to the first edition of TAQ (TA Quarterly), a new direct channel of communications between Commander Regional Forces (CRF), who is also Inspector General Territorial Army, and TA soldiers and officers. It’s not intended to replace traditional channels such as briefings by the chain of command, but it will allow us to provide you with details on the issues that affect you.

Mind you, they could do that DII and the spiffy new email system, couldn't they?

But wait, look at this little nugget:

TA Physical Fitness Policy
    Training is classified as duty; personnel undertaking unsupervised personal development will be classed as on duty, provided they are undertaking a training programme that is Service-recognised.

Paid Phys? That'll be the one army concept.

4. Come on, you know better than that.

It's not about what you're doing; it's about what you're telling people you're doing.

I thought you were supposed to be cynical.
  5. Or telling them that you don't know what you are doing:

Unfortunately, at that point the move to Joint Personnel Administration (JPA) started a ‘data cleansing’ exercise, and that has made TA numbers appear to drop sharply.

Rebalancing will not happen overnight, but will be phased in over a number of years. Obviously, things will change during that time and will have an impact on the plans; some changes will happen sooner, some will be delayed, others may be cancelled altogether.
  6. Eh, which army are you in? I've not been told (officially) 95% of the information that TAQ contains (although I already knew most of it via this website).

It is one of best ideas for years and I fully support it.
  7. Damm.......! Foiled....! That's the CO's cunning plan to keep MTD's in the pot scuppered
  8. Is there going to be a paper version?
  9. ^It appears so. The content seems to have been lifted from the last two years of ARRSE.
  10. I think that is what we call the "manouevrist spin approach".

Note the way that the fact the TA is actually appreciably smaller than we have been telling everybody is cunningly glossed over. Do you think if we use JPA to "data cleanse" Bowman, it would fit into the back of a Land Rover (like the TA will in a few years).
  11. I thought that by now you would understand that, in TA World, "duty" and "pay" are not synonymous.

I believe this is just a re-statement of the policy that you are on duty and thus "sort of" insured to play on the multi-gym in your TAC outwith normal training, rather than any undertaking to pay people for getting fit.
  12. Paper copy in the in tray this week!

Note also the statement that ALL MATTs must be passed and not just attempted to qualify for bounty. Unless this is something of a volte-face we should still be working on PFT as an attend rather than pass for bounty 'cos it's not gender equal'.

It will be interesting to see whether SO2 Comms Regional Forces will be able to fill this publication with relevant 'news' every 3 months. Most of the information in this opening edition is at least 6 months old.

At least his email is there so we can send him ideas for future articles - maybe MTD restrictions and career prospects beyond LCpl / 2Lt could be covered?
  13. msr

msr LE

As polar rightly observes, his job would be a lot harder if the TA forum was closed ;)

14. paper copy in our TAC last night.
  15. Current one - dated April, includes an introduction from CRF about the Review of the Reserves, and then some cuts - both to TA R Signals and the AAC - great positioning!

Read the R of the R bit - especially the footnote on intelligent directed mobilisation - i.e. you opt out of mobilisation, rather than opting in.....

Oh, and nice article about 36 SR's new RHQ....soon to be empty.