• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

TAQ: a proposal for issue 2 and beyond

TAQ has stalled.

As anyone who has ever put a magazine together will know, issue 2 is possibly the biggest hurdle to overcome.

So here is a proposal:

Sections G1-G9 and a recruiting and retention section.

In each section pull together the DINs / AINs / Letters from LAND etc which affect the TA and publish a summary of the changes.

Use each section to 'float' ideas and give a heads up on draft / upcoming changes.

Link each section to a forum on armynet for discussion (some of it may not be suitable for a public forum such as arrse).

Include stories / pictures where appropriate.

Gather feedback on the burning issues of the quarter (via email) and get actual answers from those in the know.

What do you think?

msr

Detailed look at one TA members life on op tour?

The DIN etc idea is a good one, I wonder how many people are aware of the changes with regards to contracts?

How about a crossword and a photolove piece. Or a Dear Deirdre column.
Celebrity gossip and competitions, it does sound quite exciting now you mention it!

Don't be so dismissive BW. I'm surprised though that you in particular wouldn't like to see a TV and Films section.

MSR - does your plan for layout imply a plan for gleaning content...i.e. the G1 community is morally or possibly otherwise obligated to provide copy? I think your concept is sound, wider communication of it will be the acid test.

I am not sure of the finer details yet, the idea came to me while I was out running this morning.

I don't think that there is a requirement for 'gleaning' content, more 'filtering' the emissions from LAND / MOD.

msr

It would also by a mechanism for quelling myths and tales. A JPA spot could be included as a FAQ with links to the actual procedures and what JPA is actually used for the TA. I tried to get someone to produce something to distribute to the TA on JPA but was told that one size fits all and it applied to all service personnel, which it clearly does not. There are a number of myths about what JPA can and can't do and what a TA soldier is required to update on it. It would be a good starter for the G1 section and as someone who sees the plethora of information being distributed to HQs I am still amazed at how little gets to grass roots leading to confusion and personnel not getting the right info.

I'm mildly surprised that no-one has come on here and denied that it's stalled. Still it got the old CRF a big gong in the Homours list....

MrTracey said:
I'm mildly surprised that no-one has come on here and denied that it's stalled. Still it got the old CRF a big gong in the Homours list....
Well they'd have a tough time seeing as it came out in June 2007 :roll:

msr

That's fantastic, one of the best laughs I've had all week. I enjoyed the complete lack of irony in still calling it TAQ, 7 months after the first issue. The TA100 page had me laugh out loud repeatedly.

"Watch future issues of TAQ for more information on TA100 events"

It'll be TA101 by the time the next quarter is up!

msr said:
TAQ has stalled.

As anyone who has ever put a magazine together will know, issue 2 is possibly the biggest hurdle to overcome.

So here is a proposal:..............

What do you think?

msr
Here is another proposal. Cull the majority of these bits of internal "journalism". A complete waste of everyones time AND MONEY.

The following are visible, mouldering on the table next to the visitors chair... Soldier, Salute, Pathfinder, Mascot, The Sapper, Defence Focus, Army Battle Notes, British Army Review, The Infantryman, 2XX Sport and AT, Kit!, Defence Director, 2XX AT Newsletter.... at this rate we will soon all have a magazine of our own.

For my tuppence-worth I'd say stick with Soldier for all the MOD propaganda, sport and "Didn't we do well" stuff witha some form of Restricted tactics/L2 type beast to cover the real meat. The rest can be binned.

Trossachs said:
msr said:
TAQ has stalled.

What do you think?

msr
Here is another proposal. Cull the majority of these bits of internal "journalism". A complete waste of everyones time AND MONEY.

The following are visible, mouldering on the table next to the visitors chair... Soldier, Salute, Pathfinder, Mascot, The Sapper, Defence Focus, Army Battle Notes, British Army Review, The Infantryman, 2XX Sport and AT, Kit!, Defence Director, 2XX AT Newsletter.... at this rate we will soon all have a magazine of our own.

For my tuppence-worth I'd say stick with Soldier for all the MOD propaganda, sport and "Didn't we do well" stuff witha some form of Restricted tactics/L2 type beast to cover the real meat. The rest can be binned.
It is embarrassing though - even today, the TAQ is emblazoned on the Army web site as being the 'new' coherent form of communication with the old CRF on the front, and clearly way out of date. You'd think that someone would pull it just to save face if nothing else.

Trossachs said:
msr said:
TAQ has stalled.

What do you think?

msr

Hang on, if you get rid of all those what the heck am I supposed to do all day!? Do some work?!

None of them sensible......
brucewillis said:
How about a crossword and a photolove piece. Or a Dear Deirdre column.
Celebrity gossip and competitions, it does sound quite exciting now you mention it!
:D

Latest Threads