Taps.../last Post.

Everyone has heard it.

In the United States all hear 'Taps…’ at military funerals

Apparently begun in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Elli was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia.

The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land. During the night, Captain Elli heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention.

Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment. When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.

The Captain lit a lantern and then caught his breath in shock. The the soldier was his own son. Studying music in the South when the war broke out without telling his father, the boy had enlisted in the Confederate Army.

The heartbroken father asked permission from superiors to give his son a military burial, despite his enemy status. His request was partially granted. He had asked if some army band members could play a dirge for his son at the funeral. The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate, but ut of respect for the father, they gave him one musician.

He chose a bugler and asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes found on a piece of paper in his son's pocket. It became Taps.

The words that accompanied it.

Day is done.
Gone the sun.
From the lakes
From the hills.
From the sky.
All is well.
Safely rest.
God is nigh.

Fading light.
Dims the sight.
And a star.
Gems the sky.
Gleaming bright.
From afar.
Drawing nigh.
Falls the night.

Thanks and praise.
For our days.
Neath the sun
Neath the stars.
Neath the sky
As we go.
This we know.
God is nigh.

Remember those lost and while serving their country.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Jeez, can the Septics not produce anything without a sleazy queasy story attached on to it! :rolleyes:

as it was first published in the 1790's about 80 yrs before the American civil war I'm guessing this is another hollywood 'how the US won every war ever' story, (EDIT: after deploying my google fu for a mere 10 seconds taps and the last post are two different bugle calls with taps being a rework of the Scott tattoo and the scott tattoo being a US rip off of the last post, and regardless of this the OP 'story' is complete BS just another internet myth

Last edited:
as it was first published in the 1790's about 80 yrs before the American civil war I'm guessing this is another hollywood 'how the US won every war ever' story
It's just another enigma.

Troy

LE
Funny enough this very topic cropped up recently elsewhere...

I read that the bugler detailed to play "taps" at the funeral of JFK had to stand around for ages in the cold. When the time came his lips were so numb that he missed a note, maybe the seal of his lips leaked a bit, who knows. But it sounded like a "sob from the nation" and so he wasn't rebuked for it.

Or something like that, I didn't pay too much attention as it was Yankee after all. Mind you I reckon everyone was just glad it wasn't fecking bagpipes!

Funny enough this very topic cropped up recently elsewhere...

I read that the bugler detailed to play "taps" at the funeral of JFK had to stand around for ages in the cold. When the time came his lips were so numb that he missed a note, maybe the seal of his lips leaked a bit, who knows. But it sounded like a "sob from the nation" and so he wasn't rebuked for it.

Or something like that, I didn't pay too much attention as it was Yankee after all. Mind you I reckon everyone was just glad it wasn't fecking bagpipes!
JFK didn't get off that lightly, I seem to recall that the Pipes and Drums of the Black Watch played at his funeral.

as it was first published in the 1790's about 80 yrs before the American civil war I'm guessing this is another hollywood 'how the US won every war ever' story, (EDIT: after deploying my google fu for a mere 10 seconds taps and the last post are two different bugle calls with taps being a rework of the Scott tattoo and the scott tattoo being a US rip off of the last post, and regardless of this the OP 'story' is complete BS just another internet myth
As I said,
“Apparently begun in 1862 during the Civil War,” and pointed out that they were different, didn’t bother with Google Fu.

And it appears, from some right dour c*nts, fell for apparently ‘sleazy queasy Hollywood BS’ from ‘septics’ ‘winning the war’. Well call me sentimental if I swallowed that one.

11/11/2015 - BBC RADIO 4 had a short clip about this. Worth a look up to listen. They say it was a 18 century British bugle call.

Saddest bit was from an ex Japanese POW WW2 British serviceman who had to play when those who died were buried.

Still had a piece of paper with all their names on and after being freed never played it again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AlienFTM ARRSE: Site Issues 30
Fireplace The NAAFI Bar 3
King_of_the_Burpas The NAAFI Bar 90

Latest Threads