TAPO training and age

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by 2lives, Aug 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have read some very informative posts in the forum about TAPO and DETAPO training.
    My particular situation is that I am 32 years old (33 in Nov) and am now ready to join the TA, albeit at a later stage than most I would imagine.
    I do have an idea of which TA unit I want to join and have been in contact with them. They say it's better to train with them for about 18 months as a soldier and qualify in the relevant trades, and then 'possibly' be recommended for officer training.
    I suppose there is an argument that such a route would be beneficial but by the time that happens I will be 34-35 years old.
    My only 'military experience' is 7 years in the CCF followed by 2-3 years as an Adult Instructor.
    I just hope it's not too late for me! I'm only 32 years old and I feel like I'm way past it - how sad is that?!
    I would genuinely appreciate any help and advice anyone can offer.

2. One of my muckers turned 32 in the pissing rain on a Weekend at a derelict farm in Catterick... go for it. Put the work in, and have a sense of humour, and you should be fine

3. Thanks. Will certainly give 100%.

4. I about to join - this weekend, 36 and have similar long-term ambitions, and certainly don't feel past it.

5. If it helps this might make you feel better, when i went throw basic the oldest guy was 45. He was in the RAMC and had loads of civie skills they could use. The average age was late 20 to mid 30 a fare few ex regs, i was the second youngest at 25 in my section.

6. Thanks Monster - was that on the DETAPO scheme?

7. ...or equivalent at the time. (DETAPO is a fairly new concept I think).

8. Right... might be able to help in that area.

Just come back from TACC (3 weeks of immense fun); the oldest person there was 36 but he had special age dispensation. Ordinarily the maximum age is 35. However, i guess it depends on your unit.... if they field a truely excellent case for you being there (for example, on skills merit) the rules are there to be bent.

Saying that... if you're 32 now and have had some previous military experience (even cadets), then 2 years to commissioning is not impossible. (Look at the UOTCs, and most their training is in the bar!)

Hope this helps,

SR10

9. IIRC once you pass 30 you can no longer go DEPO, you must join the new TA Late Entry system, this is covered in an MCM news letter, I think its MCM 115/05 but I could be wrong. I think this applies from April 06.

edited for spelling, :oops:

10. Thanks guys - so what's the general concensus? Go for DETPAO or Unit entry?
    I must say LDRTC have been less than helpful. I've asked them for advice and info but the female staff I've spoken to have said that they would get their boss to call me back - still waiting...

11. Hi 2 lives i could not tell you if he was on DETPAO he was not in my section and i only maneged a few chats with him. I can say he was fit and did put some of the younger lads to shame, especially the ones that binned or got binned because of a lack of phys. So i did wonder with he's civie skills and a good fitness level if they thought why not give him a go.

12. I think you will find they are on leave for a couple of weeks.

13. Cheers monster - nice one.

14. I think you will find they are on leave for a couple of weeks.

15. OK everyone needs leave but there must be someone there with some info. They couldn't have allowed all the 'experts' to take leave at the same time surely...