Tanks...

Seems I was out with dates and apologise. Please see below.

India Service.jpg

Seems I was out with dates and apologise. Please see below.

View attachment 335992
Well, that makes life more interesting.
If memory serves, the RTC in France was using the old tanks. I think Fletcher posted an article about it in an issue of Tracklink a couple of years back, and how they all got dumped and buried.
Can't read/work out the second one.

But if he was on Larkhill or Salisbury as you said, and in MK.V's, I thought the entire RTC had converted by 28.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
OT, but I always idly wonder what the Mk1-Vs would have been like if there had been more advanced engines at the time. Imagine if they'd had Meteors fitted or similar - with those rhomboid tracks, they'd have absolutely bombed across the battlefield.
the drive chains would not have withstood the power
at the Tank memorial at Poziers, the 5 pounder barrels line the outside, linked up by driving chains, 30HP would probably stretch and break them, and the gears likewise
1311.JPG

OT, but I always idly wonder what the Mk1-Vs would have been like if there had been more advanced engines at the time. Imagine if they'd had Meteors fitted or similar - with those rhomboid tracks, they'd have absolutely bombed across the battlefield.
The tracks wouldn't have lasted long, they weren't built for more than chugging along at a sedate pace. They had a very short lifespan as well, measured in 10's of miles.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FBW The Training Wing 0
Porridge_gun Aviation 8
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 4