Tanks...

Anyone any idea how I can get info on the below, they look like WW1 and it looks like Larkhill or Salisbury Plain. The Tank numbers on the side might give a clue on unit etc.
WW1 Tanks.jpg

Could they be the APC prototypes (circa 1918/19)

Edit
No Google says Mk 8s

APC was Mk 9 had a vaguely similar upper rail and no turret but also lacked sponsons

Last edited:
I think this was my Grandad's Sqn as it is in his photos and he re-enlisted to the Tank Corps after WW1

Unlikely as they are a) far too short, b) clearly equipped with 6 pdr guns. see Mark IV tank - Wikipedia and Mark IX tank - Wikipedia
Sorry Beardy - I was editing as you posted

I will be honest not really being sure of scale - I wasn't sure what was in the sponsons - could've been Maxim Jackets I was looking at for all I know or an explosive into trench lobber

Edit - you can add I didn't know the 9s were stretched either

Anyone any idea how I can get info on the below, they look like WW1 and it looks like Larkhill or Salisbury Plain. The Tank numbers on the side might give a clue on unit etc. View attachment 335670
I'd be very surprised if you can find anything about this photo from historical sources, but if you're going to try Bovvy has to be the place to start. The presence of someone if white coveralls might suggest a less than completely military situation, but then again it might not.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
9131 (if that's what the number is - grainy photograph) would be a male Mk V according to Mr. Google.

Have to say the knowledge on here is amazing..always impressed...I have a few more mysteries in the photos that have been handed down to me.

It's a pair of Mk.V males*. Where you're right buggered is locating these things. They were still kicking around in WWII in one form or another.

*or maybe Hermaphrodites its impossible to tell.

It's a pair of Mk.V males*. Where you're right buggered is locating these things. They were still kicking around in WWII in one form or another.

*or maybe Hermaphrodites its impossible to tell.
Grandad re-joined in 1920 and was in India in 1923 so it is between then, location I am sure is Salisbury Plain.

I think the one in the fore ground is a MkV*, modified. There were the Louvres on them, that I can't see on the others so it might have been An early prototype MKVII . The latter doesn't have the Louvres behind the sponson

I think the one in the fore ground is a MkV*, modified. There were the Louvres on them, that I can't see on the others so it might have been An early prototype MKVII . The latter doesn't have the Louvres behind the sponson
The MK.V's had the louvres:

And its not really long enough to be a MK.V*

The MK.V's had the louvres:

And its not really long enough to be a MK.V*
Yeah but my photo doesn't show the bar assembly on the top. Scource BT white. and on the above it's different again to the MK VII which I assume would be for the Fascine capability/ unditcher. As to your last point I agree it dosn't look long enough but V* Appears to be the only version with those Louvres. I can't see them on the only representation of a V that I have. I have one photo of a V** and they've gone again

Yeah but my photo doesn't show the bar assembly on the top. Scource BT white. and on the above it's different again to the MK VII which I assume would be for the Fascine capability/ unditcher. As to your last point I agree it dosn't look long enough but V* Appears to be the only version with those Louvres. I can't see them on the only representation of a V that I have. I have one photo of a V** and they've gone again
You mean the unditching rails?

OT, but I always idly wonder what the Mk1-Vs would have been like if there had been more advanced engines at the time. Imagine if they'd had Meteors fitted or similar - with those rhomboid tracks, they'd have absolutely bombed across the battlefield.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FBW The Training Wing 0
Porridge_gun Aviation 8
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 4