Tanks to get Star Wars defence shield

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Mar 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Telegraph website editor: Quick, get me a photograph of a tank to illustrate this page.

Hapless admin monkey: Here you go boss.

2. First time I've heard of repelling incoming rounds with the electromagnetic idea, they were banging on about electric fields that would vapourise the liquid metal in a shaped charge type weapon a few years ago though.

The idea of a force-field, and how cool it is, totally eclipses any questions as to how much we actually need this technology, however.

3. Sounds like a great idea... make a tank's bullet-proof-ness dependant on everything working correctly.

What happened every single episode of Star Trek, right between Kirk laying the alien bird and the "open fire all guns" moment?...

"Captain... sheilds are down."

Whilst it might make a handy addition to existing armour, I can't help but suspect that somewhere along the line some bright spark will say, "hey with the new system, we can afford to strip out a little of the conventional armour."

4. Will cavalry officers also get light sabres?

5. If you read the link that's exactly what they want to do.

6. Why are the ones they have already, too heavy for them.

7. Interesting to see that this work has finally been declassified. I was closely involved in the supercapacitor project in the early days.

The scientist leading the project was fairly well known in the 80s. Here is a rare photo of him from that time:-

[​IMG]

The initial experiments were downright dangerous. No health and safety back then, as you can see from this photo of me and one of the boffins.

[​IMG]

8. Can we assume that you ended up stuck in 1885 and had to return to the present the hard way? :D

9. Probably but they don't like to complain about it.

10. This old news -

I've been able to create a repelling force shield around me for decades, in enemy territory it's known as an SBD or in blue on blue incidents as a "Jeeezuss, who the fuck dropped THAT ?"

11. To read some comments, one wonders if some people think that we shouldn't make all our tanks out of nothing but face-hardened steel.

Yes, the electric armour may not be 100% reliable, but neither is bar armour, ERA or many other systems. You'll note that currently many of these systems are added on to light and medium platforms in order to improve their protection without compromising their mobility too much.

12. I tried returning to the 21st century but I didn't like it so I'm now back in 1885 and posting this through a wormhole in the space/time continuum.

I like it better in 1885. Karl Marx only died 2 years ago and I haven't sobered up yet. Flogging and the rum ration are still going strong and the only women aboard HM Ships are prostitutes.

Advocates of votes for women are burned at the stake; we still have the easy to use old money - florins, half crowns, tanners, white fivers, ten bob notes etc you know where you are with 240 pence to the pound.

No easyJet in 1885 so European travel is still an adventure. I was recently in Austria where I got, ahem, friendly with Klara, one of the chambermaids at the inn where I was staying. She's married to the local customs bloke so we had to keep it discreet and I hear she's now up the duff.

To cut a long story short, I think I might be Adolf Hitler's dad.

Apart from that, and smallpox, everything here is fine.

Edited to add :-

I met a very interesting bloke called Hollerith. He has some strange ideas about punch card machines. I invested some cash so he could start a company. He's thinking of calling it International Business Machines.