Tanks rejoin Moscow V-Day parade

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7391537.stm

Russian tanks and intercontinental missile launchers are being paraded through Moscow's for the first time since the collapse of the USSR.

The Russian leadership has decided to revive the Communist-era custom of featuring military hardware in the annual Victory Day parade.

The Kremlin insists the event, which marks the defeat of Nazi Germany in 1945, is not meant to threaten anyone.

But observers say it wants to show Russia is a serious military force.
Just have seen the parade. I believe it's impressive.

Its a pity they had to block all the approach roads & bridges, so that hundreds of thousands of ordinary Russians couldn't get close enough to see anything..... Great parade for the elitny, though.

P.s. What is the vehicle that looks like a US Hummer? I find it hard to believe Putin's army would use & display a Hummer, but thats what they are described as on the TV news.

4(T) said:
Its a pity they had to block all the approach roads & bridges, so that hundreds of thousands of ordinary Russians couldn't get close enough to see anything..... Great parade for the elitny, though.

P.s. What is the vehicle that looks like a US Hummer? I find it hard to believe Putin's army would use & display a Hummer, but thats what they are described as on the TV news.
I myself have watched it for the fist time. I suppose that it is a new developed vehicle. Indeed it looks as the Hummer.

Did anyone notice the great big painted ICBM that looked as though a horny woman had painted it in the shape of a bell end???????? :?

KGB_resident said:
4(T) said:
I myself have watched it for the fist time. I suppose that it is a new developed vehicle. Indeed it looks as the Hummer.
It's called a "Tigr" (Tiger) ... see this link:

http://www.strategypage.com/military_photos/2005103023.aspx

K13

It was almost like looking at the May Day parades in the 80's with almost identical equipment, aircraft and uniforms!

They was talk about doing the same thing in London, but the congestion charge for a 60ton Chally2 was to much to pay.

Taxi!

Speedy said:
It was almost like looking at the May Day parades in the 80's with almost identical equipment, aircraft and uniforms!
Exactly! And this is supposed to prove that Russia is still a very serious threat? Have they forgotten that Iraq was equipped with the exact same equipment and whilst they were stronger in numbers they were totally out gunned and out manouvered by superior equipment in lesser numbers.

Or is it just me that never quaked in my bed at the thought of Soviet armour rolling across the German plains in the eighties ... having travelled many times on the Berlin Military Train and seen the tank parks full of broken down armour?

bobath_lost_his_account said:
They was talk about doing the same thing in London, but the congestion charge for a 60ton Chally2 was to much to pay

Yeh, you can imagine our version, a couple of CR2's, couple of Chieftains taken from the entrance of some camp somewhere, two or three 4 tonners full of ACF armed to the teeth Chinese style, find some old saracens, fox's, ferrets, scorpions and anything else from the Bovvy museum - whole lot rolls into London and gets clamped as soon as it stops at a red light.

hammy123 said:
bobath_lost_his_account said:
They was talk about doing the same thing in London, but the congestion charge for a 60ton Chally2 was to much to pay.

Yeh, you can imagine our version, a couple of CR2's, couple of Chieftains taken from the entrance of some camp somewhere, two or three 4 tonners full of ACF armed to the teeth Chinese style, find some old saracens, fox's, ferrets, scorpions and anything else from the Bovvy museum - whole lot rolls into London and gets clamped as soon as it stops at a red light.
Surely not, now that Boris is in charge?? We might even get a St. George's day celebration next year.

k13eod said:
Speedy said:
Exactly! And this is supposed to prove that Russia is still a very serious threat? Have they forgotten that Iraq was equipped with the exact same equipment and whilst they were stronger in numbers they were totally out gunned and out manouvered by superior equipment in lesser numbers.

Or is it just me that never quaked in my bed at the thought of Soviet armour rolling across the German plains in the eighties ... having travelled many times on the Berlin Military Train and seen the tank parks full of broken down armour?
I dunno.... the T-95 Black Eagles or whatever they were in the first group of tanks looked quite state of the art.... (actually the tanks on parade seemed to have flat-faced turrets like CR2, rather than the curved profile of the media shots of T-95?)

It's almost as if someone whent to some enourmous hangers on the outskirts of Moscow with 'Parade props' written on the door, went inside did a bit of dusting and refuling and off they went*

*Possibly some track bashing and tyre changing went on too!

Love it! It got me all nostalgic for the good old days. Three armoured divs in Germany, pointless exercises across German farmland, three months off for skiing in the winter, Herfy beer. Where do I sign up?

It was a Victory Day Parade, not a show of "military might". A way of saying "thank you" to those who ever fought for Russia, especially in WW2. A tribute to country's military.

Domovoy said:
It was a Victory Day Parade, not a show of "military might". A way of saying "thank you" to those who ever fought for Russia, especially in WW2. A tribute to country's military.
Ah ... I see ... that would explain the ICBMs then :wink:

Despite the new found Wealth of Gas and petroleum exports, one simple fact about Russia remains true.
Russia is STILL in may respects a 3rd World Nation. In the 1980's it was called "Upper Volta with Missiles", the same is substantively true.
Still is Prime Minister (read Presidential puppet master) Putin thinks that this is a "good' idea, who will argue with him. Much better to feel good about the Rodynia [sic? KGB Resident] by showing the toys, than face a post Imperial reality.

Russians remember and commemorate the fallen, and have great respect for their military. Isn't it something you wish British people would feel for their military forces?

Almost every family in the former USSR, not only Russia, has someone who died in WW2. It's their day. If people want to celebrate their victory in this way it's their right. And it has nothing to do with "puppet master", "Wealth of Gas and petroleum exports" or any other cr*p spouted by the media.

We have Remembrance Day in Britain that we celebrate the way we see fit. Same goes for Russia.

And it's not just parade, it's also concerts, parties, fireworks... an opportunity for people to feel they have something in common: shared history, memories, future...

Domovoy said:
Russians remember and commemorate the fallen, and have great respect for their military. Isn't it something you wish British people would feel for their military forces?

Almost every family in the former USSR, not only Russia, has someone who died in WW2. It's their day. If people want to celebrate their victory in this way it's their right. And it has nothing to do with "puppet master", "Wealth of Gas and petroleum exports" or any other cr*p spouted by the media.

We have Remembrance Day in Britain that we celebrate the way we see fit. Same goes for Russia.

And it's not just parade, it's also concerts, parties, fireworks... an opportunity for people to feel they have something in common: shared history, memories, future...
I believe that our friends understand your point but sometimes something that is right for us is wrong for them

Recently I heard on BBC-Russian radio an interesting statement. As Turkmen president (head of the state) Gurbanguly Berdimuhammedow is depicted on local banknotes then it proves that Turkmenistan is a dictatorship.