Tankies: Tank Heroes of WW11

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by fairy_nuff, Jan 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 9pm BBC Sunday 6th Jan

2. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

does it feature hobarts funnies do you know ?

3. [h=1]"Tank Commander Harry Finlayson had fought in India before serving with 5RTR in the desert."[/h]
    From the web page - does anyone know what fight he was in - in India?

4. When did World War Eleven start then?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Probably on the North West Frontier. IIRC some light tanks were used in the 1938 (?) campaign.

Edited to add-

http://www.khyber.org/publications/041-045/armyininda.shtml

Mohmand campaign 1935:

Waziristan 1936-37:

6. After World War 10, stupid!

• Like Like x 2
  7. I thought it was a good program

8. Seconded. Like the way the narrator and author compared vision in pnz3 to Chieftain. I detected a personal moan there.

9. I'd just like to know what the cavalry were doing whilst the RTR fought the Germans.

10. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

Memory has let me down here i cant remember the author, but he was the tank driver in the programe, jack? ?
    His book is outstanding, he was 5rtr untill his death a few weeks before the war in europe ended

... .... .. -

11. Interesting programme.

Clearly some of the VSO's didn't quite grasp this new fangled tank business in the desert and thought it was a game of tally ho chaps rather than serious stuff that required tactics and thought.

12. Raising the tone to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

• Like Like x 1
  13. As Urban is ex-RTR, I suspect it would have found it hard to swallow to make a program about the glorious Cavalry.

I found it interesting from a battle POV, but it told me nothing about Tank warfare or life in Tanks. I was interested to see a running Pz.Kpfw. III