ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Tankies: Tank Heroes of WW11

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by fairy_nuff, Jan 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 9pm BBC Sunday 6th Jan

2. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

does it feature hobarts funnies do you know ?

3. [h=1]"Tank Commander Harry Finlayson had fought in India before serving with 5RTR in the desert."[/h]
    From the web page - does anyone know what fight he was in - in India?

4. When did World War Eleven start then?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Probably on the North West Frontier. IIRC some light tanks were used in the 1938 (?) campaign.

Edited to add-

http://www.khyber.org/publications/041-045/armyininda.shtml

Mohmand campaign 1935:

Waziristan 1936-37:

6. After World War 10, stupid!

• Like Like x 2
  7. I thought it was a good program

8. Seconded. Like the way the narrator and author compared vision in pnz3 to Chieftain. I detected a personal moan there.

9. I'd just like to know what the cavalry were doing whilst the RTR fought the Germans.

10. Memory has let me down here i cant remember the author, but he was the tank driver in the programe, jack? ?
    His book is outstanding, he was 5rtr untill his death a few weeks before the war in europe ended

... .... .. -

11. Interesting programme.

Clearly some of the VSO's didn't quite grasp this new fangled tank business in the desert and thought it was a game of tally ho chaps rather than serious stuff that required tactics and thought.

12. Raising the tone to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

• Like Like x 1
  13. As Urban is ex-RTR, I suspect it would have found it hard to swallow to make a program about the glorious Cavalry.

I found it interesting from a battle POV, but it told me nothing about Tank warfare or life in Tanks. I was interested to see a running Pz.Kpfw. III