tankfest

Discussion in 'RAC' started by revmodes, May 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dates for tankfest this year ?? :D

2. What do they have at Tankfest?

3. Beer, silly.

4. Many thanks pe4rocks :D fck*ing hell mate iam still struggling to set up my avatar, might see you there, i will be the one with a mad jock hat&wig wearing malcy's cav t-shirt backwards.

5. You can get free copies of 'Tank Times' sent to you regularly by phoning 01929 405096 and requesting it.
    All the Gen.

Attached Files:

6. ssssssshhhhplendid!

7. Nice One :D

8. Blimey.................loads!!!!!...... even quasi BNP supporters complete with tribal tattoos masquerading as Waffen SS for the mock battles!!! No, but seriously, fantastic weekend for anyone even vaguely interested in tanks!! Tiger 131 makes a pretty awesome sight trundling around along with anything else old and modern oh yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and I'll have a stall there again inside the museum building's entrance!!!!!

9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Except it won't be trundling this year. It has trashed yet another Maybach 230 and they await funds to do something to fix. My old mukker (censored for PerSec), with whom I travelled to the funeral of JC on Friday, works at Bovvy. He told me they expect to have it out as a static display but they need to raise yet more money for an engine. There are no Maybach 210s (the original Tiger 1 engine) left and precious few 230s (fitted to later Tiger 1s, which this isn't: they have already had to build a scratch cooling system to cater for the Maybach 230), which command a ridiculous price.

I wouldn't be surprised if, to keep 131 rolling, they may need to fit some other engine completely or they give up trying to make Tiger 131 run and use the money they save for the greater good of the Tank Museum as a whole.

10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

And this year, Sergeant Slingsby will be there, having his photo taken with various heavily armoured items. Look out for a small bear and his entourage - a photographer, a lovely retired Tankie, a mad woman and a long haired layabout.

11. Will be there as well, and have already made a donation to try to get the Tiger back up and running again. Plus, wouldn't mind winning the Armourtek King Tiger they have in a prize draw if you donate...

12. I admire your style, seems to have gone over everyones head though.

13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

This weekend Southampton held the Solent Kite Festival on the playing fields over the road from us as usual. As usual we took a tank-park shuffle over to see what they had. Wor Lass had a bacon roll for her lunch. As I ordered it, I couldn't help but think "Razor blades" (if this goes over your head, you probably were never Armoured Farmer or 15/19H providing close recce for Armoured Farmers: private joke).

I had a 1/4 pound cheeseburger and my mind instantly skipped back 51 weeks and forward one week to Tankfest. Last year I attended Tankfest and I was disappointed immediately after entry to find the canteen didn't do a cooked breakfast. I spent the morning bimbling and as lunchtime approached I found myself in the vicinity of a line of catering caravans. I found one which offered delights like the Chieftain, the Challenger and the Challenger 2, a series of ever bigger, ever more cholesterol-filled burgers. I was irresistibly drawn to the Challenger 2, with chips "and would you like cheese on your chips, sir?" Heart attack on a plate, let me tell you. But goo-ood. Mmmmmm.

Then I pointed out to the proprietor that he was missing one vital item from his list: the egg banjo. The queue (of civvies) all turned and looked on with interest and fell about when I explained and demonstrated the banjo action. There was a demonstration going on in the area a short distance away. Midway through the explanation there was a loud BANG from a tank gun nearby and I found myself instantly applying the standard gunner's correction and shouting "DROP 200!" before carrying on.

I'll be keen to see if he is there this year and whether he has heeded my advice (even if I'll be looking for something between egg banjo and Challenger 2).