Tanker attacks Gulf of Oman

A rather different perspective from what I'd have expected.

'Israel has used water mines and other weapons to sabotage at least a dozen tankers carrying Iranian oil and bound for Syria, according to a Wall Street Journal report, which cited US and regional officials.

'In violation of US and international sanctions, Iran has continued trading oil with Syria. Israel is reportedly concerned that the profits from these sales help fund terrorism in the region, and has targeted the tankers as a result. These tankers tend to carry hundreds of millions of dollars worth of oil, per the Journal.

'A shipping professional told the Journal that Israel conducted three strikes against ships carrying Iranian oil in 2019, and a separate shipping professional said six ships used by Iran were targeted last year.

'The report said that Israeli operatives were suspected of planting a limpet mine on an Iranian vessel anchored near Lebanon in February. The ship was en route to Syria.'

Dwarf

LE
"...the US does not appear to be doing anything to prevent it. "

Last I heard, the government of Israel sits in Jerusalem, not Washington.
True, but to a large extent so does the US government.

Doesn't seem to be any mention of this on the BBC. Iranians alleging a container ship has been attacked in the Meddi

Mar 11 -- A fire broke out onboard fully cellular containership Shahr E Kord (23289 gt, built 2012), en route from Bandar Abbas, off the coast of Baniyas in the morning of March 10. The ship had arrived at Latakia Anchorage when smoke was detected in the container cargo. Firefighting commenced. -- Correspondent.

Mar 13 -- A press report, dated Mar 12, states: Fully cellular containership Shahr E Kord: The container ship was damaged in an attack in the Mediterranean, the state-run shipping company said on Mar 12, adding it would take legal action to identify the perpetrators of what it called “terrorism” and naval piracy. The container ship was slightly damaged, by an explosive object which caused a small fire, on Mar 10, but no one on board was hurt, the spokesman for state shipping line IRISL, Ali Ghiasian, said. “Such terrorist acts amount to naval piracy and are contrary to international law on commercial shipping security, and legal action will be taken to identify the perpetrators through relevant international institutions,” Ghiasian said.

Doesn't seem to be any mention of this on the BBC. Iranians alleging a container ship has been attacked in the Meddi

Mar 11 -- A fire broke out onboard fully cellular containership Shahr E Kord (23289 gt, built 2012), en route from Bandar Abbas, off the coast of Baniyas in the morning of March 10. The ship had arrived at Latakia Anchorage when smoke was detected in the container cargo. Firefighting commenced. -- Correspondent.

Mar 13 -- A press report, dated Mar 12, states: Fully cellular containership Shahr E Kord: The container ship was damaged in an attack in the Mediterranean, the state-run shipping company said on Mar 12, adding it would take legal action to identify the perpetrators of what it called “terrorism” and naval piracy. The container ship was slightly damaged, by an explosive object which caused a small fire, on Mar 10, but no one on board was hurt, the spokesman for state shipping line IRISL, Ali Ghiasian, said. “Such terrorist acts amount to naval piracy and are contrary to international law on commercial shipping security, and legal action will be taken to identify the perpetrators through relevant international institutions,” Ghiasian said.

My hold. Meaning they will find out whom the Iranian Govt wishes to blame for it and ensure they are stitched up and accused appropriately.

My hold. Meaning they will find out whom the Iranian Govt wishes to blame for it and ensure they are stitched up and accused appropriately.

Probably correct and probably someone whose name ends with stien or berg. I would have thought the first thing to do would be to find in which container the fire started and check the contents then compare what is actually in there with what it says on the manifest, but hey ho I doubt they will ask me

Probably correct and probably someone whose name ends with stien or berg. I would have thought the first thing to do would be to find in which container the fire started and check the contents then compare what is actually in there with what it says on the manifest, but hey ho I doubt they will ask me
Far too sensible.

Yokel

LE

Given the political situation inside Iran and the need to find an external enemy, could it be a false flag job by the Qods Force? Iran has been willing to attack vessels throughout the Gulf region, so why not beyond?

Is it really sensible to cut the number of warships that can defend tankers at risk?

Yokel

LE
More activity - an exercise in the Gulf Of Oman:

Flying the flag for the UK were frigate HMS Montrose, minehunter HMS Chiddingfold and support ship RFA Cardigan Bay – all based in Bahrain – working alongside ships from the host nation, plus US Navy and US Coast Guard.

For Montrose, the highlight of the eight days of Sharp Dagger was her participation in the air defence exercise. The Type 23 frigate excelled in demonstrating her capability by providing air defence as part of the task group against fast jets - French Rafales, Omani Typhoons and Hawks. In a real world scenario, the frigate’s Sea Ceptor missile system provides cover over more than 750 square miles of ocean (roughly the size of Oxfordshire), the weapon striking incoming hostile threats at three times the speed of sound.

Other activity above the waves included extensive training with Omani and US Navy helicopters – Super Lynx and Seahawks (the naval version of the Blackhawk) – board and search exercises and some live gunnery, plus some impressive seamanship manoeuvring the 12 participating ships into formation.

Beneath the waves, HMS Chiddingfold and her mother ship Cardigan Bay focused on the mine ‘threat’ – bread and butter to both, but the presence of major warships such as Montrose and the US Navy cruiser USS Port Royal and fast jets added several extra, exciting dimensions to their regular training.

Titanic was sunk by a berg. Just sayin like

Such terrorist acts amount to naval piracy and are contrary to international law on commercial shipping security, and legal action will be taken to identify the perpetrators through relevant international institutions,” Ghiasian said.
It seems a bit ironic. The Iranians of all people talking about abiding by international law.

More activity - an exercise in the Gulf Of Oman...
For Montrose, the highlight of the eight days of Sharp Dagger was her participation in the air defence exercise. The Type 23 frigate excelled in demonstrating her capability by providing air defence as part of the task group against fast jets - French Rafales, Omani Typhoons and Hawks. In a real world scenario, the frigate’s Sea Ceptor missile system provides cover over more than 750 square miles of ocean (roughly the size of Oxfordshire), the weapon striking incoming hostile threats at three times the speed of sound....
Have they established a new unit of measure? How many Oxfordshires fit in "the size of Wales"? Can it be expressed in terms of London buses, Nelson's Columns and Olympic swimming pools?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought that was haggis.
Have they established a new unit of measure? How many Oxfordshires fit in "the size of Wales"? Can it be expressed in terms of London buses, Nelson's Columns and Olympic swimming pools?

As established on the Arrse modelling threads there can be only one unit of measurement:

1615976530245.png

Container, Beverage, Carbonated Drink, 330ml (Metallic, ring pull) : 1 off.

Dues out until 2037, substitute Panda Pop....

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer

Seems this is the Saviz...

Course impossible to say who might be behind this... Though an Israeli diplomat was strangely prophetic..

RSP ?
...perish the thought....

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer

Haven't seen this officially.

Act of war if so...

Latest Threads