Tanker attacks Gulf of Oman

One thing is sure - if the RIBs had been fitted with 76mm guns the Iranians could not have surrounded them in HMG armed boats - they would have needed divers and a salvage vessel instead!

Back to the present - if only Montrose's Wildcat could stay airborne constantly or travel at the speed of AirWolf?

The SSBN at sea is on patrol. The frigate with towed array sonar is on ASW patrol. It is just a word!
Why did you ignore the specified anti-piracy mission?

Slime

LE
So @PhotEx this heavy drinking high fiving general who ordered the capture of this tanker what was his aim? Has he achieve his aim or has he just managed to catch a white elephant which at some point they have to give back along with a crew as none of them are British. Your silence on this matter is deafening.
Hold your horses right there, you are going too far!

Don't you realise Photex only criticises the U.K., it's just not on to expect him to criticise our adversaries, or be wise 'before an event', that's just not how he rolls.

Yokel

LE
Why did you ignore the specified anti-piracy mission?
Because this was not piracy. Piracy does not usually involve helicopter inserted boarding parties, multiple fast small craft with crew served weapons, and threats of submarines, mines, missiles, and even aircraft.

Also acts of piracy are motivated by financial gain, not making political capital.

First sealord photex of the admiralty has spoken.
He's cruised with so many seaman, he's now a sealord

As they say developing...

‘Boss, The BBC cameraman wants the gun Unshipped, it’s in his way’

‘Tell him he can stay on deck and film it taking off then.’

‘He won’t be hapoy’

‘Tough, we’re a warship, not BBC Air services’

That wasn’t hard.

Ever more stupid, filming all the preparations for the ops LIVE on BBC tv, complete with crew interviews, say hello to the viewers Faye! it’s not as if the Iranians don’t watch the BBC news.

‘Look Mossein! On the TV! the British are going to send two unarmed boats into our waterway! and they have a girl on board!

‘By the Imams beard Hussein, it’s true! Quick, flash up the boats, we’re off!
Not like the BBC hasn't got form for compromising ops.

As I see it, while @PhotEx claims knowledge of global military matters beyond the capabilities of any mere mortal, a LOT of posters seem to be focusing a lot on his little lies (figuratively speaking) while ignoring some very Big Truths, which are hard to disagree with. Namely:
  1. The UK should NOT have taken control of the Grace 1 when passing British waters if it was unwilling or unable to defend UK shipping bypassing Iranian waters.
  2. The Iranian hijack was VERY WELL TELEGRAPHED and only sheer incompetence could have allowed it to happen.
  3. The Royal Navy does not have enough surface vessels to fulfil all its taskings and is arguably engaging in frivolous ones (Baltics?) while taking its eye off a big and dangerous Gulf-shaped ball.
  4. The Royal Navy has purchased/is purchasing patrol vessels which are completely useless for the task of patrolling the Gulf and deterring Iranian aggression, despite their cost to build and manpower requirements.
Now take the piss out of Photex as much as you want but these key issues are not being addressed here as I see it.

Last edited:

Slime

LE
As I see it, while @PhotEx claims knowledge of global military matters beyond the capabilities of any mere mortal, a LOT of posters seem to be focusing a lot on his little lies (figuratively speaking) while ignoring some very Big Truths, which are hard to disagree with. Namely:
  1. The UK should NOT have taken control of the Grace 1 when passing British waters if it was unwilling or unable to defend UK shipping bypassing Iranian waters.
  2. The Iranian hijack was VERY WELL TELEGRAPHED and only sheer incompetence could have allowed it to happen.
  3. The Royal Navy does not have enough surface vessels to fulfil all its taskings and is arguably engaging in frivolous ones (Baltics?) while taking its eye off a big and dangerous Gulf-shaped ball.
  4. The Royal Navy has purchased/is purchasing patrol vessels which are completely useless for the task of patrolling the Gulf and deterring Iranian aggression, despite their cost to build and manpower requirements.
Now take the piss out of Photex as much as you want but these key issues are not being addressed here as I see it.
To help ‘everyone’ focus on the actual issues imho it’s often worth pointing out when someone is telling lies or posting mere uneducated guesswork as fact.

For one reason or another ARRSE is often used by researchers or the media, so it can be helpful for ‘all’ if only credible or true ‘facts’ are taken from this thread as actually being true.

I listen to an awful lot of media news or read print news, it’s a fairly regular thing to see or hear something from ARRSE or PPRUNE quoted as being gospel fact.

By pointing out the ‘make-believe’ it can help focus on those very facts you wish to concentrate on, and stops us disappearing down wonderland style rabbit holes with a looking glass :)

Yes as that 7.62mm L112A1 would have stopped the Iranians hoards! Maybe we where trying to win the media war which is what the IRGC was trying to win.........
*It is 'HORDE', not your copious stash of franky*
So their motor boats are Tardis motor boats containing hordes who cannot be drowned when brassed by 1000 rounds per minute of 7.62, (which is one of the things a GPMG was designed to do, and does well) below the water line/ into the motor/into their jolly jacks??? Who knew!
BTW, The Iranians won that media war.

To help ‘everyone’ focus on the actual issues imho it’s often worth pointing out when someone is telling lies or posting mere uneducated guesswork as fact.

For one reason or another ARRSE is often used by researchers or the media, so it can be helpful for ‘all’ if only credible or true ‘facts’ are taken from this thread as actually being true.

I listen to an awful lot of media news or read print news, it’s a fairly regular thing to see or hear something from ARRSE or PPRUNE quoted as being gospel fact.

By pointing out the ‘make-believe’ it can help focus on those very facts you wish to concentrate on, and stops us disappearing down wonderland style rabbit holes with a looking glass :)
More fool them. This is not Ethan Hunts's intelligence cell, it is a collective of has-beens, tool-polishers, phoney-ponies, weekend-warriors, Russian spies with 'Salisbury' bookmarked on their Google-Earth accounts, a legion of sock-puppets, and Guardian bloggers (wannabe Guardian reporters) whose attire stinks of wet proofing and anti-mould, being as it is recently bought DPM from Silverman's on the Mile End Road.

I present, a typical Arrse moderator....

Last edited:
Or the Spanish, French, Italian, Greek navies

Funny how everyone was happy to ignore the two previous Iranian tankers that went to Syria this year,

Technically, EU sanctions are not applicable on the high seas.
Which is perhaps why the other 2 got a stiff ignoring and the one in European waters stopped

I would be 1st to admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed - but even I can postulate as to how and why circumstances were ir might be different

*It is 'HORDE', not your copious stash of franky*
So their motor boats are Tardis motor boats containing hordes who cannot be drowned when brassed by 1000 rounds per minute of 7.62, (which is one of the things a GPMG was designed to do, and does well) below the water line/ into the motor/into their jolly jacks??? Who knew!
BTW, The Iranians won that media war.

The logical disconnect of the military mind caught with it pants down.....

Our Helicopters have door guns and practice shooting at boats being naughty!

Naughty chaps with boats do naughty things

The door gun would not have made any difference to the situation!

Clearly just wasting ammunition

Yokel

LE
The logical disconnect of the military mind caught with it pants down.....

Our Helicopters have door guns and practice shooting at boats being naughty!

Naughty chaps with boats do naughty things

The door gun would not have made any difference to the situation!

Clearly just wasting ammunition

Lovely video. I wonder if there is a difference in the destructive and deterrent effect of 25mm cannon as shown in that video, and the GPMG (7.76 mm) or HMG (0.5 Cal/12.7mm) that the Lynx would have had?

I thought you said Hellfire was the weapon on choice against small craft?

offog

LE
A number of problems with that.

1. So we ignore illegal act in our waters. What if this had been a slave ship would you still have that view? Are you suggesting that our foreign policy is dictated to us by Iran? Just so we are clear about this it is a Swedish ship not a UK ship.

2. The Iranians said they would capture and ransom a British ship, an aim they have obviously failed to do. They have however managed to capture 18 Indians, 3 Russian, 1 Lithuanian and 1 Philippines. I bet the General overseeing this complett clusterfuck will not be getting a christmas card from the Iranian ambassador to Russia this year.

3. That depend where you are sitting. We have port facilities in the gulf to maintain the ships we have there but use NATO ports in the Baltic. With that in mind which do you think is classed as more important. The Baltic is part of a NATO role using ship tarksed to NATO. As we used to say they only need to be lucky once and in this case they lucked out as they fail in their mission.

4. Crystal ball gazing never works, you will always get it wrong probably due to the opposition not inviting you to their planning meetings. Who would have thought in 1980 we would fight a war on the other side of the world, who would have thought in 1969 we would spend 40 year doing counter terrorism ops, who would have thought when we built all those barracks in 1900 and latter in the 60s we would need to put fences around them, who would have thought in the 80s we would need to put combination locks on accomodation doors, who would have thought that my wife and children would have to search the car before getting into it. Crystal ball are a bugger when they don't work.

So in you informed opinion how long is the flash to bang on issuing a service requirement for a ship and it being delivered, one month, two, a year, two, 5 years, 10?

Which is perhaps why the other 2 got a stiff ignoring and the one in European waters stopped

I would be 1st to admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed - but even I can postulate as to how and why circumstances were ir might be different
The Iranians have made the perfectly reasonable point that if you go grabbing tankers in an international transit waterway on the excuse you had ‘reasons to believe’ They were doing something wrong’, you can’t complain when other people reciprocate.

Exhibit A; Grace 1 seizure.

67B34A1F-1D4C-486D-B524-39166C301261.png

Iran detains tanker in international transit waterway on the excuse they had ‘reasons To believe’ the tanker had been involved in an incident with a fishing boat.

And as you can see, they seem to have mirrored exactly, right down to the equivalent positions, what we did but claimed was fully legal.

offog

LE
Lovely video. I wonder if there is a difference in the destructive and deterrent effect of 25mm cannon as shown in that video, and the GPMG (7.76 mm) or HMG (0.5 Cal/12.7mm) that the Lynx would have had?

I thought you said Hellfire was the weapon on choice against small craft?
It's lucky that orange buoys don't fire back or move around at speed or that door gunner and the ride he was in would be toast.

So @PhotEx you are still hiding, did the RG general achieve the stated aim of the Iranian leader which was transmitted to the world as a threat to the UK shipping.

offog

LE
Iran detains tanker in international transit waterway on the excuse they had ‘reasons To believe’ the tanker had been involved in an incident with a fishing boat.
Interesting that. If they had captured a British captain they would have been arrested, charged, tried, found guilty and sentenced to 100 year before the ship had reach an Iranian port all in front of a TV crew. Lots of pictures of said captain in chains for the TV world.

Now how long have they had this crew and why have we not seen any pictures on TV of the captain being charged with the alleged offences. Could it be that they captured the wrong captain and are now very very quietly eating shit and trying to find a way out of this hole.

Latest Threads