Tanker attacks Gulf of Oman

Wasn't there a similar story going around Beirut? The players were lifting white faces left, right and sideways. Terry Waite, etc. They lifted some Russian academics from the university and sent their little fingers in wrapped in their demands as proof that they had their bargaining chips, or something. The KGB promptly sent a team in, lifted some of the players' big noises, cut their dicks/heads/entire hands off (depending on version being told) and sent them to the players wrapped in a nice note that said, "We know where you live."

Soviet hostages returned next morning. Terry and Brian still chained to a radiator for several years to come.

Go figure.

Sometimes war-war beats jaw-jaw.
I was assured by a spook, who was on the Arab desk at the time, that they went to heaven without the tools to procreate with even one virgin :D

The "missile system" is Harpoon, which uses a radar seeker that will - crudely put - lock onto the biggest ship it sees. And you want to fire some of those, at a BFO tanker being approached by small boats, because... you hate the tanker and want it to die?

And "having the helicopter spot fall of shot" doesn't help when the shot's fallen onto the tanker you're meant to be protecting.
Picky, picky, picky... you cannot make an omlette without breaking a few BFO 380,000 metric tonne eggs.

destroyed the IRGCN boats (a major escalation)
And armed kidnapping of your crew is not already a major escalation?

But the ship (Cornwall - we all know what you are talking about) was not within firing range of 30mm weapons, and her helicopter was not aloft.
Page 10 says the boarding was seven miles from Cornwall's position
Should have been slightly bleeding obvious to the captain that he should not have been 7 miles away, but in engagement range of the 30mm, and maybe had the chopper up, just in case.
Does the RAF train the RN's officers? FFS

Meanwhile the Gumps invested considerable coin in their much maligned Little Crappy Ships. Though, suprisingly to me, I can't think of a better platform for this type of work.
I thought so at first and then rethought it.
Much maligned with good reason. They are ships with very modest offensive capability and a DoD study indicated low survivability in a combat environment. Set up with the surface warfare module they will have a Bofors 57mm gun and two 30mm guns. They have a launcher for 24 Hellfire missiles. The launcher cannot be reloaded at sea and must go to a shore facility to rearm.
I cannot get into all the many changes as to missiles that were proposed and rejected. The latest I have heard is that they are planning on an anti ship missile with about 100 miles range. The problem is that the sensing and targeting system of the LCS are built for a significantly shorter ranges.
The number needed to man the ship exceeds the original designed manning so they, at least the Freedom class version, is being refitted with three up bunks, replacing the 2 up bunks.
For reasons that are a bit unclear but probably involve politics there are two very different designs of LCS, the Freedom class and the Independence class. A friend who has held command of both a frigate and a destroyer told me that if he was offered command of a LCS he would turn it down as something that would lead to major problems and a court martial, or at least a relief for "lack of confidence in ability to command". He also has grave doubts about the seakeeping qualities of the Independence class in any kind of weather (one plus for deploying them in the gulf)
I am sure all here have read about some of the horrible systems failures the LCS's have had on their first voyages such as a complete failure of the propulsion system. I recall that incident resulted in a relief for "lack of confidence..." Of course such a relief kills the officers career but the lack of appeal for such relief prevents a court martial which could produce testimony damaging to some Admirals careers.
The reason for two different designs was to split work to two states with powerful members of Congress.

Despite the huge number of problems they are still building a few of the damn things as they need to keep shipyards in business.

The best solution might be to donate all LCS ships to Iran. Iran would go bankrupt trying to make them work and the Ayatollahs would go insane from the problems.

The LCS program is almost as stupid as building a carrier and not having planes to fly from the carrier.

Should have been slightly bleeding obvious to the captain that he should not have been 7 miles away, but in engagement range of the 30mm, and maybe had the chopper up, just in case.
Does the RAF train the RN's officers? FFS
Unless of course he was conducting operations in support of other UK flagged shipping further into the SoH? And amazingly, wildcat don't come with 24/24 endurance: they go up-diddly-up and then come down-diddly-down.

offog

LE
Unless of course he was conducting operations in support of other UK flagged shipping further into the SoH? And amazingly, wildcat don't come with 24/24 endurance: they go up-diddly-up and then come down-diddly-down.
Are you saying that they don't do inflight refueling or crew change. I sure we could fit in a couple of hammocks so they can have extra crew, stick on auto pilot and one gets out, the other gets in. They could also tack on some tiffys and a spare engine and do inflight engine change. I've see the TV ad were they change a type on the go and I'm sure the RN could do an engine change too. Some extra missiles for replem, just lean out and clip a new one on.

Can't really see why we can't have them flying 24/7.

Yokel

LE
AF was replying to my comments (and link to the redacted reported) about the 2007 Cornwall incident, when the ship was indeed busy providing security for the Iraqi oil platforms (memory tells me there was at least one terrorist attack against them, and a USN boarding party was killed), but that did not stop the media retards demanding to know why missiles were not fired to explode between our boats and the Iranian ones, etc, etc..

Are you saying that they don't do inflight refueling or crew change. I sure we could fit in a couple of hammocks so they can have extra crew, stick on auto pilot and one gets out, the other gets in. They could also tack on some tiffys and a spare engine and do inflight engine change. I've see the TV ad were they change a type on the go and I'm sure the RN could do an engine change too. Some extra missiles for replem, just lean out and clip a new one on.

Can't really see why we can't have them flying 24/7.
Nuclear powered helicopters - you heard it here first!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The best solution might be to donate all LCS ships to Iran. Iran would go bankrupt trying to make them work and the Ayatollahs would go insane from the problems.
Have a Funny for that.

This is the Freedom class Littoral Combat Ship alluded to

1563783289911.png

Sexy lil thing ain't she....um...a few minor issues...

The keel of the lead ship Freedom was laid down in June 2005, by Marinette Marine in Marinette, Wisconsin.[25] She was christened in September 2006,[26][27] delivered to the Navy in September 2008, and commissioned that November.[28] During INSURV trials, 2,600 discrepancies were discovered, including 21 considered high-priority.[29] Not all of these were rectified before the ship entered service, as moving the ship away from Milwaukee before the winter freeze was considered a higher priority.[30]

Cost overruns during Freedom's construction combined with projected future overruns led the government to issue a "Stop-work" in January 2007 and ultimately led to the cancellation of construction of LCS-3 (the second Lockheed Martin ship) on 13 April 2007.[31] This ship was later re-ordered.

After much inconsistency on how testing and orders were to proceed, in November 2010, the Navy asked that Congress approve ten of both the Freedom and Independence

I note they have Aluminium* superstructures, much like the equally dashing British Type 21s. When a couple of ours got whacked during Op Corporate, the high temperatures generated by unspent rocket fuel set fire to the superstructure.....

I anticipate that after ten years of pork-barrel funding for the honourable Members for Alabama and Wisconsin, the USN will cheerfully gift them to the Pakistan Navy.

As has been stated, there are innumerable ways to make life very difficult for the Iranians without resorting to open warfare.

Key point, which I'm sure the Daily Express will trumpet in 64 Point type on its front page** ....er....anytime now......is that not a single Brit was on board the Stena vessel.

* A note on pronunciation for our non-English speakers...'Aloo minny Um '
** Like, am I holding my breath? er...n-o-o-o-o-o-t

Attachments

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Because that was the only job the ship had to deal with? Oh, wait, there were a few other priorities? Higher priorities, as the CO was being told by senior people who wanted the use of the ship's flight?

It's as if we should have held some sort of investigation into the incident, worked out what went wrong, and fixed as much as we could. Why did nobody think of that?

(FWIW I worked for the CO later - very good guy, put in a very bad situation with contradictory orders and no backup - but that's the sort of boring detail that's "too hard" to bother looking at)

Deserter

Old-Salt
Because that was the only job the ship had to deal with? Oh, wait, there were a few other priorities? Higher priorities, as the CO was being told by senior people who wanted the use of the ship's flight?

It's as if we should have held some sort of investigation into the incident, worked out what went wrong, and fixed as much as we could. Why did nobody think of that?

(FWIW I worked for the CO later - very good guy, put in a very bad situation with contradictory orders and no backup - but that's the sort of boring detail that's "too hard" to bother looking at)

The preferred enemy of the Modern/New Royal Navy are people in wicker boats those guns and all that tech that they are constantly bragging about (ie it can track and shoot down 500 aircraft at once or track a ship 1000 miles away bullshit) have very little bases in reality.

Another fact why are we always bragging about the best SF in the world when they never get used (you'd think a couple might be onboard thus saving a ship deployment), again their preferred enemy are brown peasants that wear flip flops and carry ak47's, all this "power" talk is for spotty teenagers not adults that can see reality.. Lets see what the SBS do about this and if not lets ask what the hell we need them for?

Last edited:
If we're talking about DEACON, then that's another entirely different kettle of fish.

And no, the helo wasn't (and shuoldn't necessarily have) been up - for good(ish) reasons.

NSP

LE
He also has grave doubts about the seakeeping qualities of the Independence class in any kind of weather (one plus for deploying them in the gulf)
Having spent some months on Qinetic's third-scale trimaran prototype I can safely say that they are utterly s**t in any kind of swell - especially if you are trying to move about or sleep.

Pentland Firth to Gt. Yarmouth at 22kts, saving almost a whole day on the journey time but doubling the fuel consumption of survey ops to a tidy 16tonnes a day, was nice, though.

Attempting to board the pilot was not.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
The preferred enemy of the Modern/New Royal Navy are people in wicker boats those guns and all that tech that they are constantly bragging about (ie it can track and shoot down 500 aircraft at once or track a ship 1000 miles away bullshit) have very little bases in reality.

Another fact why are we always bragging about the best SF in the world when they never get used (you'd think a couple might be onboard thus saving a ship deployment), again their preferred enemy are brown peasants that wear flip flops and carry ak47's, all this "power" talk is for spotty teenagers not adults that can see reality.. Lets see what the SBS do about this and if not lets ask what the hell we need them for?
You utter shit-wit brain donor...

It would be a real bugger if we then found out that the heli had a doctor and a bus load of nurses on board. That would have gone down real well in the media who are screaming for blood. It is also a bit of a bugger that we have to abide by the law or the captain will spend years going through the courts justifying why he opened fire on a heli with medical staff on board even if it didn't.
Is that the new metric for nurses? As in "we were joined in the pub by half a bus load of nurses" or "all the new hospital needs now is two bus loads of nurses"?

Deserter

Old-Salt

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mate, it's actually the bigger pals who have quite deliberately painted Britain into this particularly pointless corner.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Coming from a bullshit merchant like you i'll take it.
I suspect you are confusing me with someone else. Hardly surprising given the cognitive impairment caused by whatever brain injury you have suffered.

Latest Threads