Tanker attacks Gulf of Oman

Seadog

ADC
At the moment I'd agree with that.
Do we have the capability to go with a military option with Iran? In theory (although dressed up by Iran) this is state sponsored piracy.

Not sure we can actually provide water assets to put a dent in the IRG small boat fleet while at sea. Not enough ships. What we have are over stretched on global tasks or under maintenance.
Type 45 is not really a multirole destroyer (unlike another navies). And not enough Type 23s to saturate.
Not aircraft for the Big E.

I think that leaves subs with cruise missiles then? Maybe RAF based within commute distance?

Not a lot of options it seems? Unless our "international partners" join us. Then things change.
Water assets? The Big E? WTF?

I'm guessing some feckwit in No10 or over at the FCO is currently searching down the back of the sofa and wondering out loud where all our fleets of warships are...

The Royal Navy Media wonks have been breathlessly telling us of their deployment to the Baltic’s these last few weeks to stop the Russians from doing the nothing they are doing.....

What, you mean worse than WWI, worse than WWII, worse than Nagasaki or Hiroshima, worse than 20 MILLION DEAD, worse than what Jonesy is talking about?? Holy Crap, they had better give up those Tankers RIGHT NOW !!!
TBF we did act like assholes towards them in WWII. Although it made massive sense from a strategic point of view.
After cleaning up Iraq and Syria, we basically said 'Sod it, lets secure the entire area so we don't get any more nasty surprises, and well, as we do have a massive pile of forces in the area any how..."
Iran was sitting there planting flower and the like, ignoring everything going on, then they look up and 'What's that sound?" as the entire Empire rolls over them.
Note: The Russians stuck their boot in as well, and they actually got a bit more stiff fighting, especially when two buckshee Hawker Furies bounced four of their fighter planes just after the Iranians had surrendered.
Iran then became one of the main supply routes into Russia for Lend Lease.

Suspect displaying sovereignty over Gibraltan waters played some part in it too.

Regardless, the Iranians are unlikely to stop when it is the perfect time to put pressure on an incoming PM.

Hunt looked a bit rabbit in the headlamps on SKY today.

Manila educated youngsters maybe, merchant navy ex fishermen from the arse end of some poky little island not so much.
All Filippino/Filippina crew are selected via a few agencies based in Manila, without these you simply will not get work at sea. A major part of the selection, apart from the qualifications, is language. I know because my wife's family in the Philippines is involved heavily in the recruitment of crews for tankers and cruise ships. English is taught in all schools throughout the country.

anglo

LE
If we try to compromise with Iran, they will take it as a sign of weakness on our part, they already
regard the UK weak after the sailors had a short holiday with the Iranians, I'm afraid the UK is all
wind and piss after our forces have been run down and the Iranians know it.
We will end up doing FA, only the US of A as the military might to stamp on Iran

Freeze the asset's some of the ruling mullahs have sidled out of the country into Suisse, Luxembourg and Cyprus. They'll soon stop laying silly b'stards if their pension plans become untouchable.

Iran have said the Stena Impero was detained pending an investigation of an alleged collision with a fishing boat, and the Stena Impero also ignoring the fishing boat's distress signal.
www.cbc.ca/news/world/iran-uk-oil-tanker-1.5219091?cmp=rss
Iran's elite Revolutionary Guard took control of the Stena Impero in the Strait of Hormuz on Friday after it collided with an Iranian fishing boat whose distress call it ignored, the Fars news agency reported.

The vessel and its crew would remain in the Iranian port of Bandar Abbas while the accident was investigated, it said, quoting the head of Ports and Maritime Organization in southern Hormozgan province, Allahmorad Afifipour.
The ship owner say they were in "in full compliance with all navigation and international regulations", but reporters were not able to get any further information from them on this.
Operator Stena Bulk said on Friday the tanker had been "in full compliance with all navigation and international regulations," but could not be contacted. It had no further comment early on Saturday.

The vessel had been heading to a port in Saudi Arabia and suddenly changed course after passing through the strait at the mouth of the Gulf, through which a fifth of the world's oil supplies pass.
India say they are working on obtaining the release of their nationals amongst the crew.
The tanker was not carrying any cargo and the 23 crew members — 18 of them Indians — may be interviewed on technical matters, Afifipour later told the ISNA news agency.

In New Delhi, India's foreign ministry said it was actively seeking the release and repatriation of its nationals from among the crew.

CC_TA

LE
Have we got any Novichok left over we could lob at them?

...I mean, have the Russians got anything left over we, shit, they could lob at them?

endure

GCM
All Filippino/Filippina crew are selected via a few agencies based in Manila, without these you simply will not get work at sea. A major part of the selection, apart from the qualifications, is language. I know because my wife's family in the Philippines is involved heavily in the recruitment of crews for tankers and cruise ships. English is taught in all schools throughout the country.

I'm talking about 40 years ago... ;-)

NSP

LE
All ships have a designated helicopter landing area that’s clearly marked, any civilian pilot can do it, let alone a military one.
Utter horsedung.

Slime

LE

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm guessing some feckwit in No10 or over at the FCO is currently searching down the back of the sofa and wondering out loud where all our fleets of warships are...
You've got a thing about flagging haven't you? It's done for commercial reasons. The merch isn't the RN without guns - it's totally and completely different. The Stena Impero is actually owned by Stena of Sweden.
Don't have any 'thing' about flagging at all.
I know perfectly well why most Lines flag out - and have done since the late 1970s. Not even a member of Numast.

And given that in the last five years I've spent a lot of my time charging on and off enormous car carriers owned by various nations and home ported from Bermuda to Kaio Sung via London , I've had a lot more experience of working with non -UK personnel than most on here.

Check this crap out

1563648719825.png

Sadly neither the GBP nor their Cousin ' Joe Six Pack' can be arrsed to look beyond the 48 point Headline.....a fact which newspaper owners with a political axe to grind find utterly enchanting.

NSP

LE
Every tanker and OBO has landing space for a helicopter.
To be fair, though:-

All ships have a designated helicopter landing area that’s clearly marked.
Which isn't actually true.

Also, I'm fairly sure the likes of Noel Edmunds won't be dropping in on our helideck to day "Hello" any time soon. The pilots that service the North Sea have to be specially qualified to do flight ops onto a platform (which is static) let alone a ship, as far as I know.

Of course, there's always the off-chance that Noel's done the quals for deck landings, of course, but I doubt it.

Thank Christ!!

The Royal Navy Media wonks have been breathlessly telling us of their deployment to the Baltic’s these last few weeks to stop the Russians from doing the nothing they are doing.....
Oooooooooogh that is very naughty, but I like it !
The UK needs a radical rethinking of what matters, we are a massive regional power, but it doesn't make sense operating in the Baltic or black sea, neither of which we operated in our history. Stick to the Atlantic, North Sea and the Gulf because we are there and need that oil/gas. I said that I don't agree with you about force, as we need to get into bed with the US and put the Iranians on notice the next incident will lead to contact.

I still can't believe seeing videos of Iranian boats in what looks to be less than half a km close to our frigate. What the hell are the RN letting them get that close in any case.

Latest Threads