Tanker attacks Gulf of Oman 13/6/19

Tanker attacks seen as calibrated but risky Iranian response to U.S. sanctions - Reuters
There's a few none attributable, but 'no names, no pack drill' comments in the article. However, Hossein Aryan, a military analyst who served 18 years in Iran’s navy before and after the 1979 Islamic revolution:
Iran learned lessons from that period, which became known as the “Tanker War,” and now has many more tools at its disposal, such as mines and speed boats, to use in asymmetric warfare to send a signal, Aryan said.

“That signal is to show to the Arab states and to the United States that, despite all their military might and presence in the region, the lines of communication in the region are vulnerable, to show that vulnerability.”

President Rouhani of Iran has announced on TV that Iran is not going to war with anyone.
www.cbc.ca/news/world/iran-wont-wage-war-rouhani-1.5179430?cmp=rss

It's not really clear what this actually means however.

Meanwhile, in an announcement by their foreign minister, China is telling everyone to calm down and show some restraint.

Wang also said that the nuclear deal is still the way forward and that it should be properly implemented and adhered to by everyone. He particularly noted that Iran should not abandon the deal lightly, but appeared to indirectly refer to the US as well.

It is conceivable that Rouhani's speech may have been prompted by Chinese pressure and may be an indication that they are going to turn the temperature back down off boil.
'Wang' :):D

Just a little aside about how cultural references and history can be important.

Why is Britain an 'old fox' in the Iranian media?

I do like that the British Embassy is on Ferdowsi Avenue.

The street named for effectively the national Poet of Persia.

Ferdowsi - Wikipedia

Also a derivative of the "ferdows", or highest garden in paradise.

Not lost on Iranians, I am sure. Bit of love/hate there I think.

I thought the Iranians had renamed the street Bobby Sands Rd or some other daft name.

Middle East tanker threat: here come the convoys

The best part of a day is, of course, still plenty of time for a vessel to be exposed. But here are some actions that can be taken to mitigate the risk, courtesy of Admiral Burnell-Nugent:
  • Get regular updates from security consultants.
  • Establish close links with MTO Dubai and get regular updates.
  • Get in touch with US Navy in Bahrain for their updates.
  • Safer to be underway than at anchor.
  • Safer to be going as fast as is safe from the navigation point of view.
  • Small amounts of rudder when underway so the ship gently weaves, will make things more difficult for attackers.
  • Since these attacks seem to be taking place at night, better to transit the Straits in daylight – but be alert for changing patterns of operation.
  • Get night vision binoculars if you are underway or at anchor at night.
  • Be ready to communicate with coalition warships on VHF.
  • Much as was done with counter-piracy, deploy lookouts at port and starboard bow and quarter of the ship, including when at anchor.
  • Have searchlights and cameras ready if anything suspicious is spotted – again at port and starboard bow and quarter of the ship.
  • Loud hailer – “You have been spotted and photographed”.
  • Do not take action with flares or rockets – this might draw counter-fire.
  • Keep calm. Tankers are massive vessels and although they may billow masses of smoke, flames and oil spills, catastrophic explosions or other events are very unlikely. The media and images make things look much, much worse than they actually are.

merlin_156666855_11347046-e52d-4816-a399-1f7e2ae40253-superJumbo.jpg

U.S. DISPLAYS MINE FRAGMENTS, MAGNET
In the United Arab Emirates port of Fujairah on Wednesday, the U.S. Navy exhibited pieces of limpet mines and a magnet it said its personnel extracted from one of two oil tankers attacked in the Gulf of Oman last week.

The U.S. military earlier released images it said showed Iranian Revolutionary Guards removing an unexploded mine from Japanese-owned tanker Kokuka Courageous, which was hit by blasts along with Norwegian-owned Front Altair tanker on June 13.

“The limpet mine that was used in the attack is distinguishable and also strikingly bearing a resemblance to Iranian mines that have already been publicly displayed in Iranian military parades,” Sean Kido, commanding officer of an explosive ordnance dive and salvage task group in the U.S. Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT), told reporters.

Small fragments said to have been removed from the Kokuka Courageous were on display alongside a magnet purportedly left by the Revolutionary Guard squad allegedly captured on video.

The Japanese company that owns the Kokuka Courageous had said its ship was damaged by two “flying objects”, but NAVCENT dismissed this account.

“The damage at the blast hole is consistent with a limpet mine attack, it is not consistent with an external flying object striking the ship,” Kido said, adding that nail holes visible in the hull indicated how the mine was attached to the ship’s hull.

The location of the mine above the ship’s waterline indicated the intention was not to sink the vessel, he said.

Kido also said NAVCENT had collected biometric information including fingerprints from the ship’s hull that would help in crafting a criminal case against the assailants.
U.S. Navy says mine fragments suggest Iran behind Gulf tanker attack - Reuters

Quote:-
'The location of the mine above the ship’s waterline indicated the intention was not to sink the vessel, he said. '

How on earth did the divers manage to lift the mine?

'Kido also said NAVCENT had collected biometric information including fingerprints from the ship’s hull that would help in crafting a criminal case against the assailants.'

Really?
The septics have very little credibility left in the world.
They have a reputation of writing the script to suit their own needs as we all know

'The location of the mine above the ship’s waterline indicated the intention was not to sink the vessel, he said. '

Who said divers placed the mine? Or are you suggesting divers were used to plant a mine on a ship underway?
'Kido also said NAVCENT had collected biometric information including fingerprints from the ship’s hull that would help in crafting a criminal case against the assailants.'

Really?
They have a reputation of writing the script to suit their own needs as we all know
It’d be interesting if the prints do match a known entity.

Iran says it has shot down US drone

The US military denied any US aircraft were operating in Iranian airspace at the time of the claimed attack. Captain Bill Urban, a US Central Command spokesman, declined to comment when asked if an American drone was shot down but said “there was no drone over Iranian territory.”

Iran says it has shot down US drone as missile strike in Saudi Arabia raises tensions
BBC now reporting it as an MQ4-C, US admitting one has been brought down, Iran claiming it was in their airspace, US says it wasn't. This seems quite serious escalation.

Really?
Who said it was divers that planted the limpets? Small craft can get easily up to a tanker unseen. From where the Gashti-class patrol boat was seen they did recover fingerprints. You can see a distinct hand print on the tanker.

14912040-7161485-Red_handed_The_Pentagon_says_this_is_a_handprint_from_an_individ-a-37_1561024...jpg

Who said it was divers that planted the limpets? Small craft can get easily up to a tanker unseen. From where the Gashti-class patrol boat was seen they did recover fingerprints. You can see a distinct hand print on the tanker.

View attachment 399869
I'm not sure if I read it on this thread or elsewhere, but "someone" official (I can't recall who) has put out recommendations to ship operators to put extra watches out to look for small boats approaching ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz. The recommended watches are apparently similar to those used when passing though waters with pirate problems.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...f-of-oman-13-6-19.293230/page-34#post-9341568
@Yokel mentioned the pretty obvious precautions to take:
https://www.tankershipping.com/news/view,middle-east-tanker-threat-here-come-the-convoys_58221.htm

Middle East tanker threat: here come the convoys

The best part of a day is, of course, still plenty of time for a vessel to be exposed. But here are some actions that can be taken to mitigate the risk, courtesy of Admiral Burnell-Nugent:
  • Get regular updates from security consultants.
  • Establish close links with MTO Dubai and get regular updates.
  • Get in touch with US Navy in Bahrain for their updates.
  • Safer to be underway than at anchor.
  • Safer to be going as fast as is safe from the navigation point of view.
  • Small amounts of rudder when underway so the ship gently weaves, will make things more difficult for attackers.
  • Since these attacks seem to be taking place at night, better to transit the Straits in daylight – but be alert for changing patterns of operation.
  • Get night vision binoculars if you are underway or at anchor at night.
  • Be ready to communicate with coalition warships on VHF.
  • Much as was done with counter-piracy, deploy lookouts at port and starboard bow and quarter of the ship, including when at anchor.
  • Have searchlights and cameras ready if anything suspicious is spotted – again at port and starboard bow and quarter of the ship.
  • Loud hailer – “You have been spotted and photographed”.
  • Do not take action with flares or rockets – this might draw counter-fire.
  • Keep calm. Tankers are massive vessels and although they may billow masses of smoke, flames and oil spills, catastrophic explosions or other events are very unlikely. The media and images make things look much, much worse than they actually are.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Add to this Trump authorising military strikes but called them off at the last moment. Of his own volition of course. No one told him that he was being a cretin and could start a major war immediately. Dearie me no that never happened.