Tankee as a career

Can anyone tell what a career of a tankee is like, I've heard mixed things on "it's crap, you do jack shit and get nowhere" and I've heard stuff more along the lines of "best fooking job going."

It would definitely improve your spelling.

If you like lifting heavy things and smelling of diesel have at it, not exactly a career mind.

Has anyone got any serious answers to this? A lot of what I can see in the RAC section of this forum is nearly 10 years old unfortunately.

I have my sights set on joining the Royal Lancers at the moment. Reading through the Army website about the role of the RL and watching videos, it sounds as though they operate on foot quite a lot of the time rather than in the armoured vehicles. Is this the case?

Is it a decent career choice, something you would reccommend to others? I'm aware theres not much in terms of picking up a trade but it sounds like an exciting job which is what I'm mainly after in the Army, doing something I'll genuinely enjoy. I've heard a lot of time is spent on fixing broken vehicles though :rolleyes: What is promotion like? Also I'm a 6"2 tall fecker, would this be a problem?

Thanks for any help/advice!

Last edited:
Has anyone got any serious answers to this? A lot of what I can see in the RAC section of this forum is nearly 10 years old unfortunately.

I have my sights set on joining the Royal Lancers at the moment. Reading through the Army website about the role of the RL and watching videos, it sounds as though they operate on foot quite a lot of the time rather than in the armoured vehicles. Is this the case?

Is it a decent career choice, something you would reccommend to others? I'm aware theres not much in terms of picking up a trade but it sounds like an exciting job which is what I'm mainly after in the Army, doing something I'll genuinely enjoy. I've heard a lot of time is spent on fixing broken vehicles though :rolleyes: What is promotion like? Also I'm a 6"2 tall fecker, would this be a problem?

Thanks for any help/advice!
If you want to be in a tank (MBT) your choice is RTR, QRH or KRH.

If you want to be in a tank (MBT) your choice is RTR, QRH or KRH.
I'm quite interested in the armoured recce role though. Especially with the new Ajax coming in which I believe the RL are getting. I'd like to be a driver/gunner on that beautiful bastard.

I'm from Hertfordshire, a long way away from Scotland, and also they're light cavalry. Why is everyone recommending I join everything other than the RL, do they stink or something? :grin:

I served with two of the Cavalry Regts that are part of the RL (16/5 & 17/21 Lancers) and still have many friends from those days. The Royal Armoured Corps of my day worked hard, and played even harder. If you want to dress up smart on parade and wear a baggy tree suit for the rest of the time it sounds like it could be what you want.

Ask the questions of your local recruiting organisation, don't mention area cleaning and pay as you starve.

If you want to be in the top 10% of the Army, have a look at the REME. You could serve with almost any Corps, Bn or Regt.

All the best :safe:

Latest Threads