Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tank Traps for Dioramas - Fish Filters, yes really.

I was changing the filter in my tropical fish tanks when I had a small light bulb moment. I don't get them often and there are normally small. However I noticed the size, shape and texture of these little beauties. These are ceramic filter media by Fluval IIRC. With a little weathering they could look the part.

There are the exact full size tank traps next to the church in a village not far away. They were designed to be lifted into place to slow the Bosch advance. Hope this is of interest.

P.S. the Tiger is a 1/72 diecast just for scale ... See what I did there?

T-Traps-1.JPG

T-Traps-2.jpeg

I was changing the filter in my tropical fish tanks when I had a small light bulb moment. I don't get them often and there are normally small. However I noticed the size, shape and texture of these little beauties. These are ceramic filter media by Fluval IIRC. With a little weathering they could look the part.

There are the exact full size tank traps next to the church in a village not far away. They were designed to be lifted into place to slow the Bosch advance. Hope this is of interest.

P.S. the Tiger is a 1/72 diecast just for scale ... See what I did there?

View attachment 485783

View attachment 485784
The Tiger appears to have been advancing over a tennis court when stopped by fish filters.

FFS change the Tiger for a Valentine before somebody chimes in that the Germans couldn't possibly land tanks or that the Tiger wasn't produced at the time of Op Seelöwe.

It's Boche btw, unless you're referring to the tank's electrical system.

The only ones I have ever seen look like this?
View attachment 485866
There are quite a lot of cylindrical ones, especially by rural roads near villages. Unlike permanently sited dragons' teeth, they were usually positioned beside the road to allow normal traffic movements, the intention was to roll them into position if necessary. I presume that they would then be upended.

Always struck me as odd as they could just as easily be removed although if upended into a shallow pit, removal would be a little more difficult.

Then again, I doubt if a dragon's tooth would provide much resistance against an 88mm HE round though I suppose that while a tank was engaged in removing a roadblock, it would make a nice static target for a PIAT.

Last edited:
FFS change the Tiger for a Valentine before somebody chimes in that the Germans couldn't possibly land tanks or that the Tiger wasn't produced at the time of Op Seelöwe.

It's Boche btw, unless you're referring to the tank's electrical system.
Bosch, definitely Bosch, not Boshe at all, no not in the slightest, and yes, yes I was referring to the dynamo, of course the dynamo. Good of you to spot that ... [think I got away with it ..:silent:]

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
There's a whole load of the mahoosive cylindrical with cone head types at the entrance to the waste disposal site on the A417 north of Swindon. How they would have got them into position always escapes me.

Latest Threads