Tank parts bound for Syria discovered ( Belated Entry )

Discussion in 'Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa' started by norgeman7, Mar 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought I would stick this post up :)

Despite an European Union embargo, an Attempt to a ship spare parts for Tanks to Government Forces in civil war-torn Syria was uncovered in January, but Details only emerged in Mid-February. The Finnish shipping company Finnlines Plc revealed on Feb15th 2013 that a container holding spare parts of tanks had been loaded on board the Finnsun 28.002gt , at St Petersburg on Dec 20th 2012 and the ship called at Kotka on her way to Antwerp.
    The company said the military vehicle Equipment and its final destination of Syria was detected on Jan 3rd 2013 during the normal the normal re- checking procedure of the Contents of the Cargoes on board.
    " In view of the situation in Syria,the European Union has banned the Transfer or export of arms and related material of all types to Syria" the co,pany said.
    " Therefore the Cargo was not unloaded in Antwerp and under Finnish Law, Finnlines could not take the container back to St Petersberg so decided immediately to keep the container on board the ship and take it back to Helsinki for discharge and delivered the cargo promptly to Finnish Customs.
    Finnlines immediately requested the Finnish customs to restrain the cargo and an Inspection was conducted at the port of Vuosaari in Helsinki on Jan9th 2013.

Attached Files:

2. Wasn't that the same as the one found back at the beginning of the year? I thought there was a thread about this but I can't trace it.
  3. Duh, the Ruskies have been sending kit in for ages, looks like the Iranians are flying in supplies too

Uskowi on Iran -

Gotta love war by proxy!
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

So, the EU embargo worked in this case?
  5. End user certificates, machine parts and huminitarian aid... sounds like the God of War is still as busy as ever!
  6. Nothing changes.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. It never has and by all accounts never will.
  8. Also in January 2013,2 large Russian Amphibious ships the Kaliningrad and the Alexandr Shabalin arrived at the syrian port or Tartus and unloaded a specific amount of weapons for the Syrian government in the country.

Attached Files:

9. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Do you think Russia is a member of the EU?
  10. Talk about sleeping with the sleepers. Two posts in over five years. It's your round mate.
  11. Thanks, sorry been very busy in some other voluntry computer work on line :), hopefully I can keep up with the Int work on these type of subjects.