Tank Museum when on your holidays.

Discussion in 'RAC' started by California_Tanker, Dec 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For those who don't know, a collection to rival Bovvie's is in the hills of San Francisco. If you're over this way, look me up, I'll get you in. Bovington's got a better selection of Pre-WWII and prototypes, but as a whole....

Photo tours; 56k modems, don't bother. (Doesn't show the entire lot, of course... Damned if I know how he managed to miss Conqueror twice)

2007: BZ's '07 Littlefield Tank Gallery

2010: BZ's Littlefield Tanks 2010

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

We have a television program on one of the history channels in the UK called "Tank Overhaul" some of which was filmed at the Littlefield collection
  3. but do you guys have a working tiger 1 tank?
  4. Really nice collection. Thanks for the photos California Tanker.
  5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Is there a working Tiger 1 at Bovvy yet? In June (? Tankfest) I had a good look at the empty engine bay where the Maybach 230 used to be that blew in 2009 - 10. (For Tankfest they manoeuvred 131 outside and put the up and over staircase that normally lives over the back of a Chieftain over the back of 131 to give us an unusual view.) I must be due another edition of Tank Times, but I don't remember hearing that it was mobile again.
  6. Nope... But we flew our mechanics over to Bovvy to make yours work.

Then you went and blew it up anyway.

7. i belive that they are replacing the engine in it at the minute. i can keep you guys posted about its state as i live next door to it haha.
    Hope its running for Tankfest
  8. Excellent pictures! Thanks for posting.
  9. Don't forget the Mickleborough collection in Norfolk
  10. The Ordnance Museum is in the process of moving from Aberdeen Proving Ground, to Ft Lee, Virginia.

I understand the intention is to get all the exhibits properly restored and under cover - if so, that would be a nice move, as I always thought it a shame that some really unique AFVs were quietly rusting away in a field at APG, without so much as an informational poster. (edited to add - including this one):

Not sure what visitor access will be like...especially for damn furreners! ;-)
  11. now that Ordnance Museum looks worth a visit looked online at some of its displays looked great
  12. Erm.. According to the informational post provided, it's a T-92 light tank from 1957.

13. Yes, but unless you've got an encyclopedic brain* (or an iPhone and google), it doesn't really add much to the experience, does it?

The breadth and uniqueness of much of the Ordnance Museum collection (the history of which in itself should be required viewing for any AFV project manager) should really should justify much more effort on the part of the US Government to preserve its history.

*and I have heard there are people out there who don't consider that a day not looking at tanks is a day wasted! :)