Tank Museum At Close Quarters

Discussion in 'RAC' started by AlienFTM, Aug 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Today I got my seasonal package of bumph from the Regimental Association.

Included was a request from the Colonel of the Regiment on behalf of Brigadier DRAC (who was a sprog 2Lt in C Sqn IIRC in my day) begging me for money because:

Note that DRAC has successfully managed to get £9M out of the Lottery Fund. And there he is, not a lesbian, ethnically-diverse, physically-challenged single parent (unless he has had the mother of all makeovers since I knew him). Shirley it must be a worthy cause.

Obviously, this request was specifically aimed at LD and forebears, but other regimental association newsletters are certain to follow suit.

I have posted this for the benefit of anyone not in a Regimental Assocation. After all, you wouldn't want a superb new Tank Museum to appear to have been largely funded by and therefore attributed to a bunch of Norvern Munkeys and you missed your chance, would you?

;o)

Note to mods: maybe you want to make this a sticky?

ps Apologies in advance for any typos I may have introduced: it was transcribed by hand, head down, with about four fingers.

2. Boggles the money you earn for doing bugger all you can afford it.

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Plus the donation from DRAC and if he's cav it should be a nice wedge. There you go £3M no problem.

4. Took my kids there the other week and was actually quite impressed with what they've done (since I was last there). Bit heavy on RTR though, have they not got their own museum or do they have to take over the Tank Museum...what's the story there?

5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Find out the name of the guy that runs it and you will have your answere.

6. Its a bit like the chicken and egg conundrum! I think you will find at some stage there was an agreement to put an RTR corner in there as well, after all 'Bovvy' is classed as the RTR's spiritual home!

7. Acually, the museum was originally founded as the RTC museum, only becoming the RAC museum later, and with the knowledge that all the cavalry regiments would continue to operate their own museums in their recruiting areas! So it is actually THE museum of the RTR as a regiment, and the RAC as a corps.

8. Question answered ("Actually" :eek: )...thank you.

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Might also have helped that Forte & Woody ran it for quite some time.

10. George FORTY rather than TRUST-HOUSE FORTE?

11. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is the Poole & Bournemoth branch RTR association meeting with the Tank Museum curator as guest speaker
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Another meeting and another success on the guest speaker front. David Willey the curator of the Bovington Tank Museum gave a fantastic 40 minute presentation on the Museum and where it's going.

He confirmed that entry to the museum is free when showing your RTR Association membership card. He also explained how the museum is trying to go forward with the help of the £8 million pound lottery grant. It seems that it cost the museum £500,000 simply to put together it's winning bid and must also raise £6 million on it's own to secure the lottery grant which contary to reports is not done and dusted ( well it is as long as this small matter of finding a spare 6 mil does not put a spanner in the works.) New halls with lots of interative stuff are planned if all goes well. The Duke of Westminster is the leading light in the fund raising drive and hopefully some filthy rich cavalry types will put there hands on their wallets.

As far as the RTR section of the museum shop is concerned, it does not make money but is kept on out of loyalty to the regiment. I suggested discounts for association members and he said he would pass it on to the shop manager.

For those of you who are ex JLR the following news may come as a shock !! Herman the German is a myth!!. No corpse was found in any german tank and despite investigations by paranormal investigators doing what paranormal investgators do, no firm evidence of a ghost has been found. Of course the truth will not prevent the myth from being perceived as the truth by the faithfull and there's nothing wrong with a good story anyway.

For non ex JLR people, the ghost of a german soldier ( the version I learned was that his remains were found in the engine compartment of a tank sent to the museum) and known to all as Herman the German wanders the museum at night and has caused people's hair to turn white when he has been seen. Generations of JLR's have been brought up on the various versions of this myth and have dared each other to sneak out of barracks after bed check to search for the elusive spirit.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it seems that the request for funds is justified as the lottery finance is based on certain requirements!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Ahh, Duke of Westminister, yes thats the guy - possably the richest person in the UK.

13. AlienFTM

The DRAC, David R-J, dropped me a line yesterday thanking me for my help. It seems the museum is now only £1.8M short of the required target so we can start going ahead (advancing to contact?).

He says there'll be a roll of honour erected and, being one of the first private individuals to contribute, my name will be right up there.

He also gave me the direct line telephone number of his wife, Sarah. I dunno though, last person I can think of that messed with a Brigadier's wife is now first in line to the throne. Is this what I want?

14. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Go for it - still think the Duke of Westminister is your best bet :D

15. AlienFTM

Lol I am prepared to bet that the Duke was top of David's list.