Tank action - what's happening ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I surprised you didn’t go to the source of knowledge for all things AT (both versions of the acronym). John G.

Have you no shame?
Any trained pers care to step fwd and shed some light on this ?
(Where the fuck are you going John G ?)
The devil is in the detail.

I remember being told on my gunnery course (75) that after the Yom Kippur War (73), Israel had donated a captured T62 to the UK. Studied, taken apart, everything learned that could be learned, it was taken to Kirkudbricht to see the effect of current service ammunition.
One sabot round, centre of the glacis plate, it split in two.
Maybe you're right.
A Syrian T62 knocked out in 1973 at the IDF war memorial at the Valley of Tears.
The AP penetration that disabled the tank is visible at the top centre of the front glacis.

800px-T62-valley_of_tears.jpg
8021744283_b5a40bc872_b.jpg

It's a collage of (probably) unconnected videos. The thing hitting the tank may be an infantry anti-tank weapon, i.e., low velocity, compared to a pukka tank gun. The LV trajectory would be very curved, so it would be high above the target before dropping onto it.

I fired an 84mm downhill at some hulk once and was a bit embarrassed to see the shot, through the telescopic sight, seemingly heading towards outer space. It then curved downwards and hit the target pretty much exactly where I'd aimed it. That video looked similar to what I saw.

ugly

LE
I fired an 84mm downhill at some hulk once and was a bit embarrassed to see the shot, through the telescopic sight, seemingly heading towards outer space. It then curved downwards and hit the target pretty much exactly where I'd aimed it. That video looked similar to what I saw.
Something thats difficult not to react to when lobbing Milan down range. Oddly enough Rarden appears slow beyond 1200 yrds or rather it did to me.

Something thats difficult not to react to when lobbing Milan down range. Oddly enough Rarden appears slow beyond 1200 yrds or rather it did to me.
You need two eyes to judge distance, so when you're peering through a telescopic sight or watching a video, you lose most of the impression of the distance a round has travelled. You just notice the up and downwards motion of the tracer.

Last edited:
Which must be about the only time that an 84mm round has gone where it was aimed......

Mufulira

Old-Salt
Being similarly inexpert in such things I'd say that looking at it with the lay eye one sees the Olifant fire then the cut takes you to a turret-top view from the (alleged) firing vehicle to watch the tracer in the round go downrange and smack the target, which appears to be on lower ground and quite some distance away - so the projectile is already on an upward trajectory when it leaves the gun to get the range and it then follows the arc down - clobbering the top of the target due to the three-dimensional geometry of the shot.

An actual AFVist may come along soon to tell us what's actually going on.
It certainly looks like they emptied the museum with 5.5" arty, Oliphant tanks (Centurions) with no bore eliminator, Sextons cw 25pdrs, but they did show Ratel IFV's and the famous Kalahari Ferrari very mobile 155mm piece. Transvaal Scottish marching along troops with That Rifle. Like I said a museum show.

ugly

LE
Ahem, that Museum put Cuba and East Germany's finest into mass graves!

I remember being told on my gunnery course (75) that after the Yom Kippur War (73), Israel had donated a captured T62 to the UK. Studied, taken apart, everything learned that could be learned, it was taken to Kirkudbricht to see the effect of current service ammunition.

One sabot round, centre of the glacis plate, it split in two.

Maybe you're right.
Do bear in mind that this might have been an export-only "monkey model".

Which must be about the only time that an 84mm round has gone where it was aimed......
I was quite astounded at how accurate it was on that occasion, I thought I could have slotted the round down the hulk's gun barrel if I'd aimed at that. Any accuracy at all was a surprise after the 66mm experience. Whether it would have gone through the armour of a T-72 or bounced off harmlessly is another question and one that I never got to answer (thank Jesus)..

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ahem, that Museum put Cuba and East Germany's finest into mass graves!
Plus a bunch from Russia too.
Who weren't there at all.

Latest Threads