Tank action - what's happening ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
No expert in panzer swatting so maybe someone else could explain this in words of one syllable.

Ive just seen an old collage video on the Defence Force, at about 1' 37" there's a clip of an Olifant firing followed immediately by an AT rd fired at a hull.

A flash/trace (rocket motor ?) is visible that appears to go much higher and beyond the tgt, but a moment later the tht is hit.

I realise it's unlikely to have come from the Ollie, (unless the flash is part of a sabot,) but we didn't have any top attack missiles at the time.

Any trained pers care to step fwd and shed some light on this ?
(Where the fuck are you going John G ?)

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Looks to me like trace going straight into the target.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Looks to me like trace going straight into the target.
The way I see it, (and the oke that sent me the link,) it looks as if it's going into the thorn behind the tgt.

Music was good, but no Mr Mandela, or was this when he was in Jail?

NSP

LE
Being similarly inexpert in such things I'd say that looking at it with the lay eye one sees the Olifant fire then the cut takes you to a turret-top view from the (alleged) firing vehicle to watch the tracer in the round go downrange and smack the target, which appears to be on lower ground and quite some distance away - so the projectile is already on an upward trajectory when it leaves the gun to get the range and it then follows the arc down - clobbering the top of the target due to the three-dimensional geometry of the shot.

An actual AFVist may come along soon to tell us what's actually going on.

An actual AFVist may come along soon to tell us what's actually going on.
Here? Are you completely insane?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've had another, enlarged look. I take your point. I'll suggest it's speeded up and what we are seeing is this.

Gunner fires a very short ranging burst (one round of trace. On Scorpion, where the coax was dual purpose, it was 1B1T. On Chieftain, where the RMG was very much purely ranging, all trace. I don't know about this vehicle). As stated above, the ballistic curve of a 7.62 looks about right. Trace burn out at 1100m (900 if the barrel ignites the trace in the tube).

Having fired a ranging burst, he switches to Sabot, which takes the direct line.

It still all just looks right to me.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I've had another, enlarged look. I take your point. I'll suggest it's speeded up and what we are seeing is this.

Gunner fires a very short ranging burst (one round of trace. On Scorpion, where the coax was dual purpose, it was 1B1T. On Chieftain, where the RMG was very much purely ranging, all trace. I don't know about this vehicle). As stated above, the ballistic curve of a 7.62 looks about right. Trace burn out at 1100m (900 if the barrel ignites the trade in the tube).

Having fired a ranging burst, he switches to Sabot, which takes the direct line.

It still all just looks right to me.
You come here with all your expertise, giving reasonable answers, have you no idea how Arrse works ?

I've lost contact with the tankies I knew so havent got anyone I can ask directly, but as the Ollie had a LRF, would they then have fired a ranging burst as part of their drills too ?

I've lost contact with the tankies I knew so havent got anyone I can ask directly, but as the Ollie had a LRF, would they then have fired a ranging burst as part of their drills too ?
Doesn't the arrival of a ranging burst merely heighten the apprehension at the receiving end?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Doesn't the arrival of a ranging burst merely heighten the apprehension at the receiving end?
I don't want them to shit themselves and then die.

I'm happy with them just dying.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It was joked in my day that if a T62 crew heard knock knock knock on the turret, get out before a Sabot round joins you.

It was joked in my day that if a T62 crew heard knock knock knock on the turret, get out before a Sabot round joins you.
Imagine the savings you could make if you just used short bursts of 7.62...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Imagine the savings you could make if you just used short bursts of 7.62...
I remember being told on my gunnery course (75) that after the Yom Kippur War (73), Israel had donated a captured T62 to the UK. Studied, taken apart, everything learned that could be learned, it was taken to Kirkudbricht to see the effect of current service ammunition.

One sabot round, centre of the glacis plate, it split in two.

Maybe you're right.

ugly

LE
No expert in panzer swatting so maybe someone else could explain this in words of one syllable.

Ive just seen an old collage video on the Defence Force, at about 1' 37" there's a clip of an Olifant firing followed immediately by an AT rd fired at a hull.

A flash/trace (rocket motor ?) is visible that appears to go much higher and beyond the tgt, but a moment later the tht is hit.

I realise it's unlikely to have come from the Ollie, (unless the flash is part of a sabot,) but we didn't have any top attack missiles at the time.

Any trained pers care to step fwd and shed some light on this ?
(Where the **** are you going John G ?)

I think @AlienFTM is on the money, looks similar with rarden. I noticed the saffas marched shoulder arms in the left arm Rhodesians the same, is it a southern hemisphere thing?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I noticed the saffas marched shoulder arms in the left arm Rhodesians the same, is it a southern hemisphere thing?
It's because the water goes down the plughole in the opposite direction up your way.

I surprised you didn’t go to the source of knowledge for all things AT (both versions of the acronym). John G.

Have you no shame?

Latest Threads