Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tamiya M10

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The accurate kit really highlights the thin armour on the turret sides. As well as the obvious airburst danger, they must have been vulnerable to anything bigger than 7.62 AP on the battlefield, and would have suffered appalling casualties to fighter aircraft in an environment without air superiority (which the allies always had where these were deployed. Perhaps like Bovington's SU-76 which was destroyed by heavy machine gun fire.
To be fair, how many tanks of a similar vintage were also vulnerable to top attack by cannon-armed aircraft?

Weather must have been a bitch, though.

ugly

LE
To be fair, how many tanks of a similar vintage were also vulnerable to top attack by cannon-armed aircraft?
Apparently quite a lot were, reading Kursk by Lloyd Clark and it does describe air attacks destroying German tanks

Can I ask a very bone (and off-thread) question on behalf of Daily Mail journalists everywhere? If it's official designation is a 'tank destroyer', does that mean it's not actually a tank? Because it looks big and green and made of steel with a gun on a revolving turret and it rolls on caterpillar tracks, so 99% of us would call it a tank, would we be terribly wrong?
Think of it as more like an self propelled anti tank gun.

Bugger that’s a tank as well.

Er, I’ll get back to you.

Nope, I was trying to understand how they work but it looks like they missed this bit of detail which is shame. Tasca got it right with their Sherman range so i'll have a dig about in my spares box.

Crew time. Kit figures used.

These are very very good indeed, 3D scanned and ooze quality, no filler used so far
on these guys but a bit more fine tuning is required yet with some of the head positions and jacket collars.
Probably some of the best detail I have seen on standard kit figures. The fit is sublime with no gaps with all parts keyed so that they line up. Hornet resin heads used as they are just a cut above the kit heads. some things you just cant do with plastic and resin wins.

View attachment 506102

View attachment 506103

View attachment 506104

View attachment 506105
Tamiya figures have improved about a 1000 % in the last ten or so years.

Weather must have been a bitch, though.
IIRC proofed up to .50 Browning.

3/4 inch upper sides, hull top

2 inch on the mantlet

and the M10, M18, M36 all came standard with a weather cover. those 7 rods on the turret are supports for the cover

I had never heard of these till I played World of Tanks a few years back. They could slaughter other tanks of the same class in the game. Very fast with a very potent gun.
Were they that good in real life? Are there any good books regarding the M10?

Ignore last. Was just searching and I had it mixed up with the M18 Hellcat Motor Gun Carriage.

Last edited:
Can I ask a very bone (and off-thread) question on behalf of Daily Mail journalists everywhere? If it's official designation is a 'tank destroyer', does that mean it's not actually a tank? Because it looks big and green and made of steel with a gun on a revolving turret and it rolls on caterpillar tracks, so 99% of us would call it a tank, would we be terribly wrong?
When is a tank not a tank?
When it's a tank destroyer.

I had never heard of these till I played World of Tanks a few years back. They could slaughter other tanks of the same class in the game. Very fast with a very potent gun.
Were they that good in real life? Are there any good books regarding the M10?
All armies knew that the best way to fight a tank was to use another tank. Except America. Their tanks were used to support infantry etc, while separate tank destroyer battalions would deal with enemy tanks. They could do the job but were too thinly armoured.
In British service the M10 carried a 17 pounder gun which could knock out Tigers at decent ranges.

Dads203

Old-Salt
More progress on the build, not had much time lately to spend on the butchering plastic so another
small update. Fuel fillers and brass engine deck handles added.

1601052113522.png

Driver gets a scope finally. robbed from an old Tamiya Sherman kit

1601052190354.png

1601052238945.png

Adding the armour mounting bosses onto the side

1601052271404.png

Enjoy

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
All armies knew that the best way to fight a tank was to use another tank. Except America. Their tanks were used to support infantry etc, while separate tank destroyer battalions would deal with enemy tanks. They could do the job but were too thinly armoured.
In British service the M10 carried a 17 pounder gun which could knock out Tigers at decent ranges.
Nope. The Pz.III was to take on tanks. The Pz.IV was to support infantry. We also had infantry and cruiser tanks.

Dads203

Old-Salt
Punch and die afternoon, Adding some of the smaller missing details
to the turret. The counter weights were bolted on so added the bolts and washers
to the inside.

Also added the turret ring bolts and the .50 cal locking pin to the mount.

1601227019266.png

1601227052358.png

1601227083735.png

Drivers hatch is missing a few details, the handle for operating the hatch will get added later .

1601227127177.png

Punch and die afternoon, Adding some of the smaller missing details
to the turret. The counter weights were bolted on so added the bolts and washers
to the inside.
Drivers hatch is missing a few details, the handle for operating the hatch will get added later .

View attachment 507777

just look at that mantlet overhang above the drivers hatch, nightmare for the driver in a fire, but I guess he could duck out through the turret.
Great to see extra detail going in there, well worth it with that open top.

just look at that mantlet overhang above the drivers hatch, nightmare for the driver in a fire, but I guess he could duck out through the turret.
Yes quick exit via turret is an option not there on Sherman , don't forget the turret is hand crank traverse so you would avoid at all costs trying to fire on the move..... with the canvas top on the turret and a brew on it can be quite snug ..... but our only danger was tennis balls fired from replica panzerfausts .;-)

M10's were diesel engined
GM 6046 twin Diesel
M10A1 were gasoline engined
Ford GAA

M10's were diesel engined
GM 6046 twin Diesel
M10A1 were gasoline engined
Ford GAA
Remember reading Audie Murphy's book "to hell and back" he was very matter of fact about his taking on a German advance in Italy using the .50 on a burning M10. He briefly described the dead crew having been killed with shrapnel. The Explosion on board the M10 caused his hip injury that ruined his future Military career, so he turned to acting.

Remember reading Audie Murphy's book "to hell and back" he was very matter of fact about his taking on a German advance in Italy using the .50 on a burning M10. He briefly described the dead crew having been killed with shrapnel. The Explosion on board the M10 caused his hip injury that ruined his future Military career, so he turned to acting.
Rear deck of an M10 is nice and flat with few trip hazards ,.......just as well if you've got to stand there to fire the .50
I can see why they often fitted some overhead protection you have a big expanse of sky above you looking up from inside .
Maybe a bit controversial but for what most of us do today the M10 Achilles is probably the best WW2 armour to own ..... the Detroit's sound fantastic on song , sip fuel compared to any other armour and the vehicle is light enough to transport around without going over the weight limit and associated permits and issues that brings ...
Not only that you can get all your mates in and on it...do a bit of swing dance on the rear deck outside a bar in Mons ;-) and performance wise with the Detroit's being given a little tweak 500hp makes it a bit of a sports tank.....

Latest Threads