Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tamiya King Tiger 1/35 & why Ches hates PE

ches

LE
20200929_171858-01.jpeg

PE madness.....in the 10mm X 10mm square is a piece of PE. I'm supposed to form that into a cylinder 0.3mm internal dia......give me fooking strength!

So instead we've gone for a length of cut sprue with another piece of PE fixed to the end.

20200929_172236-01.jpeg

Result.....same thing just much easier. Aber really do take the piss.

ches

LE
You actually apply the Zimmerit? It's not moulded into the plastic of the part...?

No, this is a very thin resin based sheet system by Cavalier Models. Been around for a good 20 odd years. This set was part of the deal when I scooped up the KT at Telford.
I've used the sets before & they are good. Tried the self applied methods before.....milliput etc but always thought there must be a better way.

ches

LE
My fight with PE tool clamps is coming to an end........I've ordered some 3d resin printed from MIG in spain. Got good write ups & look the part.

PE my arse!

Not quite sure if it’s the same on the King Tiger, but check. I don’t think Zimmerite was coated on the engine decks. Reason why @Halftrack and I removed the stuff off of the STUG at the Weald Foundation.?

ches

LE
He's still a Jibbering wreck...... that guy you bought this lot off for £20.

Anyone who does Telford each year will know the mad old bugger who sells stuff cheap as it gets to knocking off time on the Sat & Sun. Far corner of the 3rd hall on the back wall. Has loads of old stuff in all sorts of condition. TBH i don't think he knows whats in half the boxes he puts out with aftermarket stuff thrown in. The Aber PE set itself is well over a tenner. The Zim set about the same so the kit itself was almost buckshee. Win.

Not quite sure if it’s the same on the King Tiger, but check. I don’t think Zimmerite was coated on the engine decks. Reason why @Halftrack and I removed the stuff off of the STUG at the Weald Foundation.?

Not seen any Zimmeritt on KT on horizontal surfaces tbh, in fact don't think i've seen it on any Pz's at all.

ACAB

LE
Ah......

I possess this kit and having made a complete cock up of the supplied barrel wish to purchase a metal one.

Tamiya, 1/35 scale and a Porsche turret

If you would be so kind Gents....

ches

LE
The resin tool clamps arrived the other day from Spain. The quality is staggering tbh.
Top of the pic is the fire extinguisher so far using the Aber PE.....middle of the resin sprue it's the AMMO version. I may well chin my work off & scratch a plastic tube & use the resin bracket.

The items will need careful cutting & removal but this detail is the best I've seen at this scale.

Attachments

• 20201011_180259-02.jpeg
    20201011_180259-02.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 60
Ah......

I possess this kit and having made a complete cock up of the supplied barrel wish to purchase a metal one.

Tamiya, 1/35 scale and a Porsche turret

If you would be so kind Gents....
Aber, gun supplies.

The resin tool clamps arrived the other day from Spain. The quality is staggering tbh.
Top of the pic is the fire extinguisher so far using the Aber PE.....middle of the resin sprue it's the AMMO version. I may well chin my work off & scratch a plastic tube & use the resin bracket.

The items will need careful cutting & removal but this detail is the best I've seen at this scale.

those will add a touch of class to your model ches.

ches

LE
Well this is the last update on this build as I've lost my rag with it trying to do some fiddly work & it's now binned in many many pieces. Not got the patience for anything atm which is frustrating as I need modelling to keep me a bit sane. Post demolition I'm annoyed with myself due to the work & additional money wasted but hey ho. I've got a 75mm RAF figure on the side base painted that I may try to get on with if I can get the anger inside under control so my hands dont shake like a shitting dog.

This COVID shit needs to feck off & let the economy function properly. Unfortunately that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Stick to figures not so many bits to break/lose/lose your rag with, you know it makes sense! You could also send all the bits of the barrel to @ACAB out of spite.

sorry to hear that Ches, no big shakes mate, if a model isn't working there's no point getting down about it. Whenever I feel frustrated I go for a run and shag myself out, that way I'm too tired to throw anything against any wall or other object recreating the dropship hitting the APC scene in Aliens. I hope this doesn't put you off trying again later on when things are less stressy. You do need an inner peace to do modelling, the craft doesn't bring it if it's not already there. Sounds like you need a punchbag and a pair of 18 ounce gloves.

ches

LE
sorry to hear that Ches, no big shakes mate, if a model isn't working there's no point getting down about it. Whenever I feel frustrated I go for a run and shag myself out, that way I'm too tired to throw anything against any wall or other object recreating the dropship hitting the APC scene in Aliens. I hope this doesn't put you off trying again later on when things are less stressy. You do need an inner peace to do modelling, the craft doesn't bring it if it's not already there. Sounds like you need a punchbag and a pair of 18 ounce gloves.

Funny you should say that. I've just ordered a new punch bag.

Might be the fella actually.

I'm annoyed I binned it but am looking forward to starting a new build but something ootb that I can complete with some satisfaction.
Coincidentally, I'm building the same kit also with the resin zim. The only etch that I have added though, is the grille set for the engine deck. I am not a big fan of PE. It has its place, but as you say, some of the parts are not worth the bother.

ches

LE
Coincidentally, I'm building the same kit also with the resin zim. The only etch that I have added though, is the grille set for the engine deck. I am not a big fan of PE. It has its place, but as you say, some of the parts are not worth the bother.

Problem is that the tow cables OOB look really bad imo, so to get the aftermarket ones to look good (my new cables turned up the day after the KT went in the bin), some PE or resin clamps & brackets are needed unless you go scratch. I've got a dragon Jagdtiger in the stash that i nearly started on Sunday but common sense kicked in & i've delayed it, but the cables & ties in this kit are gash too. Thankfully i've still got the KT stuff to use on it.

I've just relieved that I paid a pittance for the kit 5 or so years ago, I've still got most of the PE parts left & most of the AM accessories I bought. If it had been a £50+ kit I've been twatting myself in post binning blues. As it is I've started a wee 1/72nd FW 190 A8

Last edited:

Latest Threads