Tamiya King Tiger 1/35 & why Ches hates PE

ches

LE
I picked this badger up a few years ago from SMW Telford. For those that know the event, there is always a mad old bloke with a corner plot who sells some rare & old kits inc some at bargain prices. I got this inc the Cavalier Models zimmeritt set & the Aber PE update for £22. The aftermarket sets alone cost more than that, so all in all a bargain.
Decided to get on with it & start the build so here is my own first ever Build thread.

1596536744854.png

My mojo had been stirred after I'd picked up a couple of fantastic books on the cheap from the Works, bot about Heer Tiger battalions - Nr 503 & 507. Tiger Ace about 503 is superb & full of pics I've never seen before so combined with some existing ref books I've got I wanted to get going with this. I've decided to create a version of tank 233 that was well photographed on the streets of Budapest in Nov 44.

My version will be shown a few weeks after this event in the retreat across Hungary as the unit fought a series of rear guard actions along the way. Intent is for it to be displayed on a small dio base with the TC using his bino's scoping the terrain on a flank security task which seemed to be something the Tigers were used for a lot during the retreat.....the long 88 & its reach perfect for being able to engage from over 1500m from a static position. That aside, the books do illustrate what a colossal lump of semi dog turd these wagons were.

Anyway, the build. Kit is mid 90's according to Scalemates & the tooling stamps. Still pretty good all told but there are some necessaries from the Aber PE set. Saying that, there is a shitload of stuff in the PE set that quite frankly, take the piss. A lot of it, I'd say a good 40% is too small to use or to be seen. I have reading lenses in a pair of glasses & also use a mag headset giving me 8x mag, even with that I was struggling.

Its got to the point, I've parked the build for a cpl of days to allow me to 'chill' & stop getting close to punching a wall!I laugh but it is bloody frustrting.

1596537476511.png

This is the state of play as of today. Main hull & turret assemblies built & the details are going on. I've applied the Cav Models zimmeritt to the surfaces fixed with an epoxy & super glue where required. Some gaps to be filled in the zimmeritt panels but so far not bad.

I ordered a new aluminium barrel & that has been built & is now sitting in the front part of the separate mantlet assembly. Haven't used an ally barrel or good few years & as a piece itself its bloody lovely. I've had to drill out the kit part to accept the barrel as its for a Hobby Boss kit as opposed to the Tamiya version but works ok & looks good.

daz

LE
I picked this badger up a few years ago from SMW Telford. For those that know the event, there is always a mad old bloke with a corner plot who sells some rare & old kits inc some at bargain prices. I got this inc the Cavalier Models zimmeritt set & the Aber PE update for £22. The aftermarket sets alone cost more than that, so all in all a bargain.
Decided to get on with it & start the build so here is my own first ever Build thread.

View attachment 494419
My mojo had been stirred after I'd picked up a couple of fantastic books on the cheap from the Works, bot about Heer Tiger battalions - Nr 503 & 507. Tiger Ace about 503 is superb & full of pics I've never seen before so combined with some existing ref books I've got I wanted to get going with this. I've decided to create a version of tank 233 that was well photographed on the streets of Budapest in Nov 44.

My version will be shown a few weeks after this event in the retreat across Hungary as the unit fought a series of rear guard actions along the way. Intent is for it to be displayed on a small dio base with the TC using his bino's scoping the terrain on a flank security task which seemed to be something the Tigers were used for a lot during the retreat.....the long 88 & its reach perfect for being able to engage from over 1500m from a static position. That aside, the books do illustrate what a colossal lump of semi dog turd these wagons were.

Anyway, the build. Kit is mid 90's according to Scalemates & the tooling stamps. Still pretty good all told but there are some necessaries from the Aber PE set. Saying that, there is a shitload of stuff in the PE set that quite frankly, take the piss. A lot of it, I'd say a good 40% is too small to use or to be seen. I have reading lenses in a pair of glasses & also use a mag headset giving me 8x mag, even with that I was struggling.

Its got to the point, I've parked the build for a cpl of days to allow me to 'chill' & stop getting close to punching a wall!I laugh but it is bloody frustrting.

View attachment 494423

This is the state of play as of today. Main hull & turret assemblies built & the details are going on. I've applied the Cav Models zimmeritt to the surfaces fixed with an epoxy & super glue where required. Some gaps to be filled in the zimmeritt panels but so far not bad.

I ordered a new aluminium barrel & that has been built & is now sitting in the front part of the separate mantlet assembly. Haven't used an ally barrel or good few years & as a piece itself its bloody lovely. I've had to drill out the kit part to accept the barrel as its for a Hobby Boss kit as opposed to the Tamiya version but works ok & looks good.
Arh, etched sets.....the reason why the Hellcat has been chinned off, with only 40% being too small to see or use, you're doing well, I swear that a lot of the times, parts are only included to bump the parts number up.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

ches

LE
20200807_214029.jpg

I've been banging away at the turret for a few days, odd hour here & there. The PE is giving me the arse, I lost the commanders vertical sight rail that fits in the front periscope aperture so had to make one from plastic card. About 2mm wide & 4mm high.....christ my eyes.
The PE, where used, does add to the overall although it looks gash until its primed to key it all together. Hope to have all the details added by end of the weekend & then get the barrel on ready for priming.

ches

LE
20200810_092716.jpg

Got a test fit of parts. Turret details done apart from the hatches & main gun. Bizarrely no cupola periscopes in the kit which is annoying so will be making some from strip & card. Will only be visible externally as the commander will be filling the hatch but it doesn't make sense when the periscopes for the driver & op are provided.

Not an enjoyable build so far, the amount of filling & sanding is doing my head in but as soon as I get a thin coat of primer on I'll be happier as it will show any obvious issues more clearly. Hoping to get the main gun mounted as soon as I get an idea of how to get the kit breech & aber metal barrel to mate up.

FFS, stop messing about, @SPROCKET321 would have built the entire Battalion by now. ^^

£22 for that lot! did you buy this off the mad old bloke in the corner at Telford at gunpoint?

Enjoying your first build thread, PE can really be annoying, you have to be in the right frame of mind to do it without hitting the wall, I know I sound like some ******** college professor when I say, "you need an inner peace" to go for it. If you start a pe section and its all f.....ing going wrong for f...ks sake, place the parts down somewhere they won't blow away when someone breaths in it's general direction, and tackle something heavier. Like the suspension. Get back to it later on when you're not fuming. Looking forward to this, keep up the pictures.

Last edited:
Does PE stand for pernickety extras?

Does PE stand for pernickety extras?
yes, that's it's other name, only we leave off the F in between. The strangely annoying thing is with PE, if you balls up a small hard to see cos it's soooo small part and say F it it doesn't matter, I then spend hours scanning the carpet for it as if the whole model depends on finding it and restoring it to the model, only to have it ping off during weathering and not even notice it missing.

ches

LE
Test fit of the mantlet whilst knocking off a few very fragile track link brackets. Sodding things.
Barrel is on & I was able to drill through the ally to allow me to mount in on the kit nut & bolt arrangement. Bit of tolerance in the drilled hole for adjusting the alignment, blob of super glue gel & job jobbed. No interior needed as hatches will have crew in them.

20200813_080825-01.jpeg

The ally barrel drilled through & mounted using the kit supplied nut & bolt. I'd ballsed up the first attempt drilling too far forward thankfully the mantlet will cover the hole.
20200813_082138-01.jpeg

Get a set of Fruil tracks - they will make a massive difference to the model, and they are much more fun to assemble than PE...

ches

LE
Too bloody expensive. Atm cheapest I can find without bothering with Ebay (hate it) is thick end of £30. I've got a set of tracks for it, but are not link & length.

Dads203

Clanker
That’s looking sharp fella, liking where you are taking this build. its got all the ingredients of a cracking finished model. :thumright:

daz

LE
Not finished yet??

ches

LE
Oh you wee jester you. This will probably take me as long as Si's wokka!
Nah, been busy with DIY shit plus doing a bit on a side project (75mm RAF pilot & dog) so the tiger hasn't moved much. Back on it soon though.

ches

LE
Got a couple of hours on the Tiger yesterday & made good headway with the turret detailing.

Both hatches fixed in place, I still have the periscopes for the commanders hatch to scratch build & a piece or two of PE to add plus some minor PE items to the loaders hatch but thats the turret roof done. Am really pleased with how the loaders hatch has come along, I used some of the PE set for this but didn't bother with the locking bars & lugs as the moulded versions look pretty good & removing that detail to add the PE would have probably shagged the hatch beyond rescue. The restraining arm & the lug under the turret roof are a key part of the hatch & dunno why Tamiya have never cast a part for that.
A drill out of the lugs for the spare track brackets & then its ready for some primer.

20200914_094140.jpg

A crew member will be in each hatch so there will be none of the internals visible. I've got some Mr Surfacer on order for the turret roof as well as some super fine wet & dry to finish off with. Nearly time for the turret halves to be stuck together once I've primed it.

20200914_094155.jpg

Latest Threads