Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Builds Tamiya 1/35 Cromwell

Well. Pissed as a cnut and watching Joe Black. Ace film and I’ve done a bit more

2985FEB8-F702-415D-9785-9AF7182CFB96.jpeg

Perhaps you should leave it unpainted, and leave it as a demo of the art of upgrading a kit with PE?

Shame to cover up all the intricate PE work with paint; a casual observer might otherwise think thats how they come out of the box.

yep. It’s going to be a real shame to cover it.

In a lot of the photos that show the Cromwell, who else has noticed. The front left track guard missing, was it something the driver did to improve visibility? Or because of the driver’s view they kept twating it on obstructions?

If you look at the left track guard in the flying tank photo it appears to be folded back just from the speed. To me, this would imply a fairly loose hinge that would be easily damaged.
mMtztCV.jpg

I think it was more a case of, "Oh, shit!!!! Tigers!!! Chaaaaarge and get amongst 'em, boys!!"

The text in one piece about the event goes, "At least one case is known of vehicle commanders using the vehicle's fast speed to jump large gaps. In the Netherlands, a troop of three Cromwells was able to leap a 20 ft (6.1 m) wide canal when surprised by enemy forces." Trying to find the full story again but Google's letting me down at the moment.

Another report refers to Cromwells regularly solving the problem of hedgerows in Normandy when ambushed from them by putting the hammer down and leaping over them, much to the surprise and horror of any Germans dug in behind or even in them.

Apparently, the record was 31ft by a demonstration troop at Bovington, using a concrete ramp.

Must have buggered the suspension no end.
It was on the Wikipedia page.

I think it was more a case of, "Oh, shit!!!! Tigers!!! Chaaaaarge and get amongst 'em, boys!!"

The text in one piece about the event goes, "At least one case is known of vehicle commanders using the vehicle's fast speed to jump large gaps. In the Netherlands, a troop of three Cromwells was able to leap a 20 ft (6.1 m) wide canal when surprised by enemy forces." Trying to find the full story again but Google's letting me down at the moment.

Another report refers to Cromwells regularly solving the problem of hedgerows in Normandy when ambushed from them by putting the hammer down and leaping over them, much to the surprise and horror of any Germans dug in behind or even in them.

Apparently, the record was 31ft by a demonstration troop at Bovington, using a concrete ramp.

Must have buggered the suspension no end.
The book you are looking for is "Troop Commander".

The book you are looking for is "Troop Commander".

Troop Leader by Bill Bellamy, he was 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars. While on a recce near St Oedenrode they came through a hedge into the middle of a battery of 88's. The odds were a little sticky and nearest bridge was about 300 yards away, so they just put the hammer down and the whole troop leapt the canal one after another. It was about 20 feet across.

Troop Leader by Bill Bellamy, he was 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars. While on a recce near St Oedenrode they came through a hedge into the middle of a battery of 88's. The odds were a little sticky and nearest bridge was about 300 yards away, so they just put the hammer down and the whole troop leapt the canal one after another. It was about 20 feet across.

how bloody fast did these things go? That’s well impressive!!

Meanwhile. Finished the first rear guard. It needs cleaning up - flux sill on it. But it’s turned out OK.
5FA66FE4-FA70-4654-B434-6062850D2BE4.jpeg

D4A6811B-46CC-40C0-8ABA-46BBBA5F655D.jpeg

P IV and the Cromwell were roughly 28 tons. Cromwell max speed 40mph whereas the P IV came in at 28 mph. Big difference!

So a bit more progress but I didn’t get the tool brackets on, so that will have to wait until tomorrow now.

AFB30758-D614-4D5A-B37F-C680DC77C4C2.jpeg

rear track guards on.

and……

370524E0-0908-4CA9-9AA0-0AB0815D7AC1.jpeg

once the tools are on, the only thing remaining is to get a stack of bolt heads on :oops:

Last edited by a moderator: