Builds Tamiya 1/35 Cromwell

D

Deleted 136127

We are straying perilously close to the edge of the ”rivet counting” minefield I feel at the moment, we need to collectively get a grip:) either would be good.

We went off the cliff the second this conversation started!!

looking at the piccie of the real one I’ve built, there’s no star, so I’ll spray over it. I may leave the faded outline of it and see what that looks like.

over to you boys!!!!!!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
CrusaderAATankMkIII.jpg

Crusader AA tank.
Star on roof. Pointing rearward.

Would there be a standard placement?

Something people haven’t considered, could it have been down to Regimental leeway? Or possibly the Colonel saying we’re not putting those buggers on the top!
Just a thought!

IMG_20210902_201705.png

Ahem!
Other than the Canadians - who had 1 point if the star facing forward - the star was painted as though it's standing on 2 points as you look at it in all other cases.

So, unless there is confirmed photo evidence to the contrary or you're portraying a specific, known example - I'm pretty sure you'd be correct to apply it with two bottom points facing forward...

- horizontal to the ground as you look at it from the front.

Centralised on the vent or offset - whichever you prefer as there seem to be examples of both

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you sure?
It looks like it's actually centred on the fume extractor (as opposed to being slightly offset) - there appears to be a ring concentric to the vent boss.

Could be me
No, you're right.

Schrodinger's star, methinks.

Let's have it both there and yet...

TBH, @Simmerit, the end result is going to look superb. If some bugger turns up and argues different, just tell them to do better.

D

Deleted 136127

View attachment 601367

Ahem!
Other than the Canadians - who had 1 point if the star facing forward - the star was painted as though it's standing on 2 points as you look at it in all other cases.

So, unless there is confirmed photo evidence to the contrary or you're portraying a specific, known example - I'm pretty sure you'd be correct to apply it with two bottom points facing forward...

- horizontal to the ground as you look at it from the front.

Centralised on the vent or offset - whichever you prefer as there seem to be examples of both

one throw away comment and look what @SPROCKET321 started! Half a dozen grown blokes and two or three pages of debate over which way a star points!!!!

@paddyplanty - ta for confirming. Star pointing backwards appears to be right.

I’m still painting mine out!!!!!

Yeah I know. All of the decal sheets show it pointing to the back of the tank. I'll have to have a look at some real ones...
You're ok, there are plenty of photographed examples of wonky stars (and not just the Canadians, who were ordered to have one point pointing forward, even when the star was painted on the side). The 'top' star was usually circled to make it more visible from the air, but not always.

I understood that upside down stars was a Canadian thing?
They were ordered to have one point pointing forwards, even on the side of the vehicle, whereas the British and everyone else had them 'standing' on two points. I've never seen any order for their positioning on the roof beyond an instruction for stars to be painted on tarps to cover open-topped vehicles or to be placed on top of stowage/loads.

Last edited:
Here's the initial Canadian order governing Allied Stars, dated 11 Apr 44. This is identical to the British order. A later supplementary order came out ordering stars to be painted on canvas roofs and on tarps to go over loads and the Canadians also issued a supplementary order stating 'one point forward', but there's nothing else that I've seen governing the direction of points:

Recognition of Vehs
by Allied Aircraft
  1. White Five Pointed Stars
White Five Pointed Stars will be painted on all vehs ("A" and "B"), SP Guns and mobile mech eqpt. with the exception of RAF vehs and med vehs which carry the Geneva cross, as follows:-

(a) Place
(i) All (armoured) vehs (incl SP guns, carriers, trucks, (halftrack) and trucks 15 cwt 4 x 4 personnel (White Scout Cars)
- TOP only
where space permits (see (d) (i) below).

(ii) All other vehs and equpts - TOP and BOTH SIDES where space permits (see (d) (ii) below.
(b) Design
... -when painted on top of veh to be surrounded by 4 inch wide white circular band, touching the points of the star.
(c) Selection of Space
(i) Top - on largest horizontal or near horizontal surface - NOT on canvas canopies, nor roofs, etc., on which stores are likely to be carried, nor on the part of the cab above the co-drivers seat as this will be holed for AALMG.

(ii) Sides - on any plain vertical or near vertical surface NOT usually obscured by fitments, etc.
(d) Size
(i) Top - as large as possible, NOT less than 1 ft in radius measure from centre to outside edge of band.

(ii) Sides - if possible 10 in radius from centre to tip MINIMUM 3 in radius from centre to tip

(iii) If space does not permit these minims, NO star will be painted
(e) Paint
White lead GS, (Cat no HA 0293), obtainable by indent through Ord channels. Background selected should be as dark as possible.
(f) Present Recognition Mark
The red white red recognition marks now used on AFVs will be removed.

Sgd. ) C.F. Laurin. Lt. -Col. G.S.
for (C.C. Mann) Brig.
(Chief of Staff)​

NSP

LE
Grabbed these of the CCC Centaur when I was on me hollibobs last week, if they're any help...

North Devon 2021-09_143.jpg
North Devon 2021-09_144.jpg
North Devon 2021-09_145.jpg
North Devon 2021-09_146.jpg
North Devon 2021-09_147.jpg

D

Deleted 136127

On off on off on off.

30CCB7E6-4EC9-4F71-BB23-66302B44327E.jpeg

finally got shot of that star. Tracks next then the canvas straps on the pads on the hatches and it’s ready to make a start on weathering it.

Latest Threads