Builds Tamiya 1/35 Cromwell

offog

LE
Thinking back to my meck days and mind field crossing you would put your tow ropes on the front and over the top. Looking at the photo it may be that if they stop due to water height they don't have to go swimming to find the end of the cable.

If folk enlarge the photos of the majority of the wading kit on all the tanks, be it Sherman, Churchill or Cromwell. All the the kit is supported by wire cables.
I seem to recall in a TCs Memories, Grenadier Guards Armoured Regt(?) he talks about, once ashore the Regt went into a large field to remove all the wading kite. I don’t recall any explosive bolts to remove the gear.
Explosive bolts and det-cord to remove waterproofing was definitely 'a thing' mentioned in numerous personal accounts (and someone else further up the thread), but most of it (all of it on most vehicles) had to be removed by hand.

That colour print, the green too rich. More like Emerald green.
Yeah, it's a 'colourised' b&w photo. Whoever did the colouring clearly believes that they were using Deep Bronze Green paint at the time. SCC 15 is far more drab.

7th Armoured Div were curiously poor at marking their vehicles in Normandy and a lot don't show any markings at all. It's been suggested that they'd painted markings out as a camouflage measure. If you look at the famous sequence of German photos taken at Villers-Bocage, hardly any tanks are marked and only the three Royal Horse Artillery tanks have the regulation markings.

Last edited:
Here's a quote from the Recce Troop of 4th CLY (7th Armoured Div):

"we came off the LCT through very shallow water onto a beautiful sandy beach. Once on the beach we blew off the waterproofing with the explosive charges arranged around the waterproofing and the exhaust pipe extension, an extra high extension to allow the tank to wade through deep water and still keep the engine running. I think the explosive charges were electrically detonated."

Yeah, it's a 'colourised' b&w photo. Whoever did the colouring clearly believes that they were using Deep Bronze Green paint at the time. SCC 15 is far more drab.

7th Armoured Div were curiously poor at marking their vehicles in Normandy and a lot don't show any markings at all. It's been suggested that they'd painted markings out as a camouflage measure. If you look at the famous sequence of German photos taken at Villers-Bocage, hardly any tanks are marked and only the three Royal Horse Artillery tanks have the regulation markings.

I've officially abandoned the jeep and its onto painting now. I've got 4 tanks to do and the Matt to finish. Then........

Made a start on the Cromwell today

ECAB0964-644E-4F68-9215-AA7CCE344534.jpeg

E35015FB-8471-4608-87A2-E70F4C45AE4E.jpeg

Has that been parked up in Liverpool?

It’s got that feel about it!

F423EA12-5BCE-474E-88C4-A81F11EE424A.jpeg

423EDDAC-8C53-4A47-BC7C-9E2B54AC3C83.jpeg

It’s going to take an age to prime this….

Scorcher68

War Hero
Nice. With the etch fret you've got you can do any of the armoured regts in 7th Armoured Div up to end of July '44. That's 8th Hussars, 1st and 5th RTR, and 4th CLY. Plus 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry in 11th Armoured. You're positively spoilt for choice!

Welsh Guards in GAD was another Cromwell mob.

Welsh Guards in GAD was another Cromwell mob.
I know mate. I was talking about the choices he's got with the set of etched brass cap badges he bought the other day. Welsh Guards, 5th Skins and 15th/19th are the only ones missing.

Small bit of progress. It’s now ready for the green

7043346B-1850-4FFF-9330-E4CA9548088A.jpeg

So the green. Bloody hell. What a proper mess the modelling community have got themselves in over this one….

SCC 15 olive drab is the British colour. Different to US olive drab. It would appear people have been arguing on and off over 9 years over what shade the olive drab is. Rivet counters!

SCC 14 is NATO black pretty much

So the green. Bloody hell. What a proper mess the modelling community have got themselves in over this one….

SCC 15 olive drab is the British colour. Different to US olive drab. It would appear people have been arguing on and off over 9 years over what shade the olive drab is. Rivet counters!

SCC 14 is NATO black pretty much

My understanding was it started the same colour as the US stuff, but weathered really quickly to a different shade. Mike Starmer is your man, I'm sure there's a MAFVA page where he covers everything.

Latest Threads