Builds Tamiya 1/35 Cromwell

Great thread Sim, I've been following this and the CR2 build with interest and great admiration for your skills. A couple of questions if I may.

Having not done any AFV modelling for many years, mainly Airfix kits in the 1960's and 70's, I lashed out and bought a Meng kit of a Mk A Whippet in 1/35. I was very impressed with the quality and detail of this kit and have just started to build it. Have you ever built one of these? Tips and advice etc!

Secondly, what do you do with these models when you have finished them? You must have dozens. A large garage? I build 1/12 scale R/C model narrow boats and storage is always a problem.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Your threads are fascinating.

Great thread Sim, I've been following this and the CR2 build with interest and great admiration for your skills. A couple of questions if I may.

Having not done any AFV modelling for many years, mainly Airfix kits in the 1960's and 70's, I lashed out and bought a Meng kit of a Mk A Whippet in 1/35. I was very impressed with the quality and detail of this kit and have just started to build it. Have you ever built one of these? Tips and advice etc!

Secondly, what do you do with these models when you have finished them? You must have dozens. A large garage? I build 1/12 scale R/C model narrow boats and storage is always a problem.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Your threads are fascinating.

Helo mate,

thanks and glad you are enjoying the builds. We've got some great modellers on here and a variety of interests and there is always a group build you can join if you fancy posting and have a bit of banter along the way. Its a good crowd of like minded blokes and no-one is a model snob, so there is none of the brinkmanship you see on the dedicated modelling forums.

I am sure @SPROCKET321 built a whippet in the WW1 build thread and someone else did another I seem to recall. I've not done one personally, but there is a Mk1 tank about three feet away from me on the manufacturing line.. ......

There are some good threads in the forum with hints and tips, and you could always do what @Helm has done and start a thread of your own. Helm is doing a Cent, having worked in figures for years and everyone is piling in with advice when he asks. Have a look at his Cent thread - some good hints and tips in there also.

I have a couple of glass cabinets from Ikea - they are about 5 feet tall and about 14" x 14" with clear glass shelves. Thats where I display them. Then there is her piano. I wouldn't recommend that option. We did have a discussion about her being a tank widow and I said if she exits this mortal coil, her piano will have a Lanc on it in short order. I need a new cabinet but I dont want to buy from Ikea cause of of the woke b0ll0cks with GB news, so I'll be on the look out for another display case supplier at some point.

Cromwell is well on its way to the build being complete. Hopefully this week if I get the time, then I will prime it and spray the CR2s and the Cromwell before returning to the Mat and the Mk 1 & Leopard. Then its onto the Wokka....

Just knocked out the first working clasp for the shovel!

4587DFDD-1A79-4DD9-B19F-E7C7C4AA5BE1.jpeg

that’s a thumb at the back of it!

Second working clasp

C2E2EFB0-36DE-4B39-BA36-D422B9D7DF6C.jpeg

two more to sort and I’m onto the bolt heads

That’s the tools done

DDD13E52-AA22-4012-BA80-F88EB0F0CF31.jpeg

and there are 111 individual bolt heads to fit which will probably take me to the weekend to do, then it’s decisions on priming it, which will be a bit of a shame as the detail is really nice

Last edited:
Quite fantastic! I truly believe you should add the 111 bolt heads then leave it 'as is' as a monument to what can be achieved - working shovel clasps at that size FFS!!!

Amazing.

Pity we don't have a 'doff cap' emoji! Have a salute instead! :salut:

That’s the tools done

View attachment 583383

and there are 111 individual bolt heads to fit which will probably take me to the weekend to do, then it’s decisions on priming it, which will be a bit of a shame as the detail is really nice

Absolutely fecking Dagenham!

load_fin

War Hero
I think it was more a case of, "Oh, shit!!!! Tigers!!! Chaaaaarge and get amongst 'em, boys!!"

The text in one piece about the event goes, "At least one case is known of vehicle commanders using the vehicle's fast speed to jump large gaps. In the Netherlands, a troop of three Cromwells was able to leap a 20 ft (6.1 m) wide canal when surprised by enemy forces." Trying to find the full story again but Google's letting me down at the moment.

Another report refers to Cromwells regularly solving the problem of hedgerows in Normandy when ambushed from them by putting the hammer down and leaping over them, much to the surprise and horror of any Germans dug in behind or even in them.

Apparently, the record was 31ft by a demonstration troop at Bovington, using a concrete ramp.

Must have buggered the suspension no end.
I recall the story about the jumping Cromwell. The trick was to declutch whilst in the air, otherwise it would stand on its nose when landing.

I'm pretty sure that it was also the mild steel training tank that got accidentally issued. Something about finding bullets (20mm?) stuck in the glacis, when they should have bounced off. Investigation showed the tank was made of mild steel, not armour plate, and was half the the thickness it should have been. It dawned on the crew why it was so much faster than all the other Cromwells in the troop.

The Commander was instructed to hand it in and draw another tank, but the crew declined, because they valued the speed.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I recall the story about the jumping Cromwell. The trick was to declutch whilst in the air, otherwise it would stand on its nose when landing.

I'm pretty sure that it was also the mild steel training tank that got accidentally issued. Something about finding bullets (20mm?) stuck in the glacis, when they should have bounced off. Investigation showed the tank was made of mild steel, not armour plate, and was half the the thickness it should have been. It dawned on the crew why it was so much faster than all the other Cromwells in the troop.

The Commander was instructed to hand it in and draw another tank, but the crew declined, because they valued the speed.
No, that's separate. The jumping the canal was multiple vehicles.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
@Simmerit - regarding painting:

There was a guy who used to post scratch builds on Missing-Lynx a few years back. He would even enter competitions with them. They were unpainted and very clean builds - absolutely spotless.

But, and here's my but, they were masterclasses in modelling and not a model. Yes, he got to show off his skills but he didn't represent/reproduce his subjects.

I can understand your reluctance to cover the work but you set out to model a Cromwell, not to pray at the altar of photo-etch. I think it would be a real shame not to represent the vehicle as it served.

Just my two penn'orth.

Helo mate,

thanks and glad you are enjoying the builds. We've got some great modellers on here and a variety of interests and there is always a group build you can join if you fancy posting and have a bit of banter along the way. Its a good crowd of like minded blokes and no-one is a model snob, so there is none of the brinkmanship you see on the dedicated modelling forums.

I am sure @SPROCKET321 built a whippet in the WW1 build thread and someone else did another I seem to recall. I've not done one personally, but there is a Mk1 tank about three feet away from me on the manufacturing line.. ......

There are some good threads in the forum with hints and tips, and you could always do what @Helm has done and start a thread of your own. Helm is doing a Cent, having worked in figures for years and everyone is piling in with advice when he asks. Have a look at his Cent thread - some good hints and tips in there also.

I have a couple of glass cabinets from Ikea - they are about 5 feet tall and about 14" x 14" with clear glass shelves. Thats where I display them. Then there is her piano. I wouldn't recommend that option. We did have a discussion about her being a tank widow and I said if she exits this mortal coil, her piano will have a Lanc on it in short order. I need a new cabinet but I dont want to buy from Ikea cause of of the woke b0ll0cks with GB news, so I'll be on the look out for another display case supplier at some point.

Cromwell is well on its way to the build being complete. Hopefully this week if I get the time, then I will prime it and spray the CR2s and the Cromwell before returning to the Mat and the Mk 1 & Leopard. Then its onto the Wokka....
Thanks Sim for your very informative reply. I'll give the points you mention some thought. I'll have a hunt for the Whippet build too. I won't hijack your thread any longer but will keep watching. Keep up the good work.
Thanks again.

@Simmerit - regarding painting:

There was a guy who used to post scratch builds on Missing-Lynx a few years back. He would even enter competitions with them. They were unpainted and very clean builds - absolutely spotless.

But, and here's my but, they were masterclasses in modelling and not a model. Yes, he got to show off his skills but he didn't represent/reproduce his subjects.

I can understand your reluctance to cover the work but you set out to model a Cromwell, not to pray at the altar of photo-etch. I think it would be a real shame not to represent the vehicle as it served.

Just my two penn'orth.

Yep it's going to be painted. I agree with your comments.

Daz

LE
C’mon, show us your 1/35th scale Tap and Die set to get the threads on those…

Having spent a bit of time looking at piccies of fenders and also the etch manufacturer’s pictures of the model, the reason the bolt heads are there is to replace the plastic ones which you can cut off! I have to say that is an utterly pointless exercise.

I have cut off half a dozen is so plastic bolt heads whilst doing the build. If it’s worth it, I may replace them with the etch ones but I’m buggered if I’m doing 111 of the feckers!

I’ve got the machine guns to drill and that’s it. Ready for priming.

The debate that’s going on at the minute is what to do about the tank crew. Someone pointed out the cap badges are wrong for Cromwells and I’m buggered if I’m going to do Guards badges on the blokes. The alternative is these lads on the back of the tank

29A809F7-E1F9-4CB5-8DA2-2E619BA5E739.jpeg

and run with the existing crew which I’ve not built yet