Tamil Tigers defeated

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Taz_786, May 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quite remarkable really.

Out of interest, how many insurgencies could claim to have been militarily quelled in recent history?

Not too many i'd imagine!

Horrendous civilian casualties though. :(
  2. If they didn't spend all their bloody time outside the Houses of Parliament, they might get something done.
  3. Interesting exercise in political pragmatism; regardless of the Tamil cause, the world's chosen to allow Sri Lankan forces to achieve what might be a conclusive victory. Fingers crossed - what the country needs is some stability so it therefore benefits from some investment.

So what did the Tamils do wrong?

Too brutal?
    Not cuddly enough? No attractive and articulate intelligensia under house arrest.
    A bit boring - including outside our Parliament?
  4. Simple.

Middle Eastern chaos affects Western security, the Tamil conflict doesn't. Hence the West doesn't really give two hoots.

If the LTTE had bombed London or NY then I guarantee you we would all be educating ourselves about the Tamil cause!

The unpalatable reality is, international terrorism works.
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

A cause for which most of us had no clue and to be honest no interest.

They hen pecked at the government for years and then Colombo said enough is enough and sod the consequences, endex.

The thing is they will probably have far more representation in parliament post LTTE than they ever had the with the tigers doing their thing. The apparent threats of mass suicide is probably the best thing they could do.
  6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Which all shows that the Sri L Govt were right to stop pussy-footing about and go for the throat, thereby (one can but hope) ending a steady trickle of terrorism, murder and general brutality.

Does nothing about the causes of inter-communal resentment though. I was in Ceylon in 1957 and the Sri L Govt were already baiting the Tamils by replacing English bus numberplates with Sinhalese script.

Parallels with NI anyone?
  7. msr

msr LE

No, massive aid from the Chinese to Sri Lanka: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6297463.ece

8. After all these years that's a bitter pill to swallow...!

'I'll get me coat'
  9. Our North London local GP is banged up in USA for trying to buy RPG's for the Tamil Tigers. I bet he's hoping the Yanks keep him there, he'll probably swing back in Ceylon.
  10. msr has it. The PRC is propping up regimes in Burma, Sri Lanka and (with Uncle Sam - although for different reasons) Pakistan in order to surround India. Expect a PLAN forward operating base in Columbo in the near future.
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Pretty much all over now.

Full story in the Times.
  12. Is it just me, or does the Tamil leader look scarily like SuperMario? See attachment! 8O

Attached Files:

13. So the Tigers are all dead or captured and the Sri Lankan Army can go wherever it wants.

Have they really won? Have they made the desire for a Tamil 'homeland' go away? How many generations before the New Tamil Tigers of Resurrected Tamil Elam start going bang in crowded railway stations?

I hope the Sri Lankans have a good plan for the peace, as well as for the war. Good job we'd never screw up like that, eh?
  14. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

As to the PLAN, they could not do better than Trincomalee, one of the best sheltered harbours in the entire world. Wonder if our old floating dock is still there.
  15. I was there when it all kicked off. At the time there did not seem to be any significant sectarian issues at all - wherever you went the two main communities were intermingled in jobs, markets, etc. The whole thing started off with some fairly blatant rabble-rousing over in India by Indian politicians, and I gather the Tamil "movement" largely started with Indian investment. At the time I remember the expat community openly speculating that India intended to annex Sri Lanka under the guise of "peace-keeping".

Tough on the Sri Lankan Tamil civvies who have now been bred to see themselves as in need of a "homeland", but actually the main Tamil homeland happens to be in SE Indian mainland - the Tamil community in Sri Lanka has largely grown in the past century out of fishermen and migrant workers.