Tam Dalyell Questions Iraqi Woman's Conference Speech

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Oct 3, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tam Dalyell stirs it up again. http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3574429

MP Questions Iraqi Woman's Conference Speech

By Chris Moncrieff, PA News

The weeping Iraqi woman who begged Labour conference delegates not to vote to withdraw British troops from the country has “strong connections” with the CIA, Britain’s most senior back bench MP claimed today.

Labour’s Tam Dalyell, a persistent critic of the Iraqi war and Father of the House of Commons asked: “Have we been duped yet again?”

In her speech, Shanaz Rashid appealed to the conference in Brighton: “Please, please, do not desert us in our hour of need.”

Now, Mr Dalyell, MP for Linlithgow, has written to the Foreign Secretary, Jack Straw, asking how it came about that Rashid was given centre stage at the conference when she was not even a delegate.

In his letter, Mr Dalyell said: “Her screeching of ’Freedom! Freedom!’ was carried on every TV channel to the exclusion of contributions from many others who, unlike Rashid, were actually delegates to the conference.

“Therefore can I ask you, is it true or untrue that you and foreign office ministers – I am told that diplomats declined to be involved – were instrumental in persuading the conference chair, with the acquiescence of Conference Arrangements Committee, to have Rashid called?

“Was it known to you that Rashid has strong connections with the CIA and with those exiled Iraqis who did so much to persuade Washington to go to war? “

Mr Dalyell said that if Mr Straw was to indicate that her appearance was the work of 10 Downing Street and not himself, he would not be astonished.

“At all events, Rashid’s performance is reminiscent of the performance of the so called nurse at the Kuwait hospital telling US coast to coast TV that babies had been thrown out of incubators by Iraqi troops during the first Gulf war.

“The nurse subsequently turned out to be the actress daughter of the then Kuwait ambassador in Washington and had never been near the hospital.”

Mr Dalyell: “I would be grateful if you would give Parliament and the party the facts and the circumstances in which Rashid was given centre stage at Brighton. Have we been duped yet again?”

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said they could not comment without first seeing the document.

But she added that they would respond to the MP’s concerns upon receiving his letter.

She said: “If Mr Dalyell is writing to the Foreign Secretary his concerns will be addressed.

“We have not seen the letter and do not know what is in it so there is nothing further we can say today.”

2. Personally , I think Dalyell is a blowhard blot on the landscape.

Unfortunately ,like the boy who cried wolf ,when he really has something to say..

Try google searching for the lady concerned ,then google search the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan

Oh dear 8O

3. He may have a point this time, PTP. Bliar was facing a kicking at the conference until this Iraqi refugee who hadn't set foot on home turf - or sand - for 30 years gave an Oscar-winning performance. Too good to be true, somehow. And far too convenient. 8)

4. Good google, PtP. I see she left Iraq in 1973 - 6 yrs before Saddam became President.

5. Oh how she must have suffered

It can be hell in the Harrods food hall on Saturdays you know :D

6. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one. But you realise, PTP, you've probably just infringed her ethnic rights in the prevailing lunacy of the asylum we call the UK under Bliar's tree-hugging, asylum-seekers' paradise. Wonder if the Phoney Pharaoh accepted her food-stamps?

7. As much as I detest TD and his lefty ways, he can easily see through the spin from this bunch of liars and charlatans. He also has the balls to stand up against these spin monkeys under control of the Dark One

8. Dalyell's a persistent old fart. He hangs in there like a bulldog with a good grip on soemone else's balls when he thinks he's right. You've got to give him that. He's no respecter of parties or Prime Ministers. A rare beast indeed, a politician with integrity. Pity he's a coffin-dodger. He even gave Thatcher a run for her money over the Belgrano sinking.

9. Dalyell has been wrong over many issues (including the Belgrano, IMHO) but our democracy will be poorer without his voice in Parliament. He served as a National Service trooper in the Royal Scots Greys, a regiment founded by one of his ancestors, and often wears the Greys tie in Parliament.

11. Indeed. Exiled to Surrey for 30 years. Oh, the humanity...

Kurd's plea defeats troops-out vote

12. http://www.kurdmedia.com/reports.asp?id=1200

Eh?

13. Spin, spin and more spin :roll:

They never learn do they :evil:

14. More googling

Now maybe I've confused names and organisations here,but bear with me.

So ,then I looked up Kurdistan Childrens Fund on the Charities Commission website

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/showcharity.asp?regno=1027522&submit=Run%2BSearch

Now I'm confused. Are there 2 different Kurdistan Childrens Funds,that have a Mrs. Shanaz Rashid as an Officer of the trust. Am I mis-reading the financials?

If anyone can point out where I've made an error in cross-referencing ,I'd appreciate it.

15. Interesting.

I imagine McLuckie is simply a fundraiser, and that both your KCF links do refer to the one organisation.

The Charities Commissioners would take a very dim view of it if this charity were telling the public they had received not donations, whereas in fact they declared income of £2,597,858 in the last reported year.

But I think the charity will say that the "no donations" claim applied only to a specific appeal, and not to their operations in general.

The appeal for street children in Baghdad seems to be outwith the stated objects of KCF:

TO PROVIDE OR ASSIST IN THE PROVISION OF RELIEF FOR KURDISH PEOPLE PARTICULARLY BUT NOT EXCLUSIVELY REFUGEES RESIDENT IN KURDISTAN AND ELSEWHERE AND THEIR DEPENDANTS WHO ARE IN CONDITIONS OF NEED HARDSHIP OR DISTRESS. 2.TO PRESERVE AND PROTECT THE PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH OF SUCH PEOPLE AND THEIR DEPENDANTS. 3.TO ADVANCE OR ASSIST IN THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE EDUCATION AND TRAINING OF SUCH PEOPLE AND THEIR DEPENDANTS SO AS TO ADVANCE THEM IN LIFE AND TO ASSIST IN THEIR REHABILITATION IN A NEW COMMUNITY.

None of us would grudge a genuine charity for Kurdish children, nor is it suggested that KCF is not such a charity.

Interesting, though :?